• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gremolata question

gmi3804

I have a recipe for Gremolata which calls for combining and mixing well by hand the following:

Leaves from 1 bunch of flat-leaf parsley

1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted at 400°F. for 2 minutes

Zest of 1 lemon

1/4 cup freshly grated horseradish

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Some questions:

How much parsley is meant by "one bunch?" Is it the amount you'd get at the grocery store?

Should the lemon zest be chopped? Microplaned/grated?

Should the horseradish be mushy after being grated? Or should I use the bigger holes on the box grater?

hi there.

this is an intersting recipe, as traditional gremolata contains no more than parsley, lemon peel, and a little garlic. sometimes, either mint leaves or olive oil is added, but that's about it.

i would say that a bunch of parsley is probably equal to around 1 cup once you pull the main parts of the stems off. i've never really seen a bunch any bigger than that. frankly, i don't think that amount of parsley is that important, whether its a cup or a cup and a half. this recipe doesn't mention the food processor, and when i make gremolata with my knife and cutting board, i spare myself the frustration by microplaning the lemon. (and, technically, the term zest refers to the use of a grater to remove the citrus rind.) lastly: mushy horseradish, most definitely.

enjoy!

-honorspianist

Hiya gmi. I would agree with using around a cup of parsley leaves for the amount of pinenuts mentioned.

Gremolata aka gremolada is traditionally used as a sprinkle on Osso Bucco and I have subbed rosemary and orange rind for parsley and lemon rind on occasion.

Would be interested to know what you are adding your gremolata to, the horseradish is unusual!

Would be interested to know what you are adding your gremolata to, the horseradish is unusual!

It is, indeed, an osso buco. I found the recipe on epicurious, a reprint of a Mario Batali creation. It sounds intriguing. It's served with the aforementioned toasted pine nut gremolata. If I try it I'll report back.

Thanks to all for their tips.