• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
miladyinsanity

Creamless Caramel Icing

13 posts in this topic

I was going to make a caramel cake, but I don't have any cream. I've all sorts of things, but I don't have cream.

Any ideas for a caramel icing that doesn't have cream? I've milk and butter, if that helps.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

I'm afraid it'll be too runny, and I need it to set somewhat. I did think of just substituting it with mik.

May

I use easily available ingredients for my caramel icing, melting 1/4 C butter and 1/2 C dark brown sugar with 3 T milk in heavy saucepan. Add 2 tsp vanilla essence. Then add around 1.5 C sifted icing sugar. Add more if you find it's not thick enough. Stir till smooth. :smile:

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

I was going to make a caramel cake, but I don't have any cream. I've all sorts of things, but I don't have cream.

Any ideas for a caramel icing that doesn't have cream? I've milk and butter, if that helps.

The Frosting for my Tickle Me Cake is very good and doesn't use cream. :smile:

Hey, both Tepee's frosting and Steve's frosting are pretty close.

I'll report back tomorrow after I make the frosting (I'll average the two :smile: ).

Thanks!

Edited by miladyinsanity (log)

May

Evaporated milk should substitute well for cream.

I use evaporated milk often in place of cream when it doesn't have to be whipped. Even in ganache if I don't have cream.

I use evaporated milk often in place of cream when it doesn't have to be whipped. Even in ganache if I don't have cream.

I even recall I recipe I used to make when I was a kid for something like a grasshopper pie, where you did whip a can of evaporated milk. You refrigerated everything well first I think.

often I'll keep creme fraiche in the fridge because it keeps a long time, unlike cream. I wonder if it would work well instead of cream...

I even recall I recipe I used to make when I was a kid for something like a grasshopper pie, where you did whip a can of evaporated milk. You refrigerated everything well first I think.

My mother often whipped evaporated milk. I think that was something that got started during the shortages and rationings of WWII.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Okay, so I've not made it yet. But I have evaporated milk so I'll use it instead of cream.

I really ought to keep cream in the house though.

Thanks again!

May

I really ought to keep cream in the house though.

Yep. There are so many things that improve when the impulse strikes to add just a touch of cream.

And it's easy to keep around these days when that ultra pasturized stuff lasts in the fridge for what seems like decades.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0