• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Poughkeepsie, New York

ada

I had lunch a few weeks ago at a small restaurant called The Haymaker in Poughkeepsie, NY. I was impressed, and couldn't wait to get back there for dinner. Last night four of us had a lovely meal. The food was fresh, the atmosphere friendly. The service too was friendly, but a bit amateurish. We had a great time.

I would recommend this place to anyone looking in the area for a nice lunch or dinner.

We love to drive up to the Hudson Valley for an afternoon and dinner before driving back to NJ...We ate for a number of years at Gadaletos (??Spelling??) in New Paltz but that one has deteriorated...we love great fish (not fried)....they used to have great preparations...alas...but we are looking for super food...doesn't have to be fancy decor...on either side of the Hudson....Help appreciated...thanks... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Haymaker is on Rt. 44E in Pouughkeepsie/Arlington in a strip mall with Arlington Wine and Liquors(good selections) and across from Adams Fairacre Farms, Marlene Weber Dayspa and a bakery(sorry can't remember the name since we aren't really sweets people).

johnnybird and i have eaten there several times and have enticed his mom and sister out there for a meal or two. as ada said the food is good and fresh. we've had sandwiches, salmon and soups along the way. here's the website: http://www.thehaymaker.com/

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

please tell me more about Twist, Haymaker and Crew...what kind of food...any special dishes, what sort of prices, atmosphere...I would love to hear details and I thank you in advance... :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

I had been to twist twice I think. The food isn't bad, and the prices touched around 20-30 per person depending what you're ordering. The food's more or less straightforward Americans. Several renditions of steaks and chops with a couple of sauces or compound butters you can choose from. They also have nice, large cuts of fish and dishes such as steamed clams or cockles. A very neighborhoody place with a lot of tables in a rather small space and an open kitchen where you can watch, though a bit more on the higher end side as it came to the pricing. It has been about a year and a half though. The food isn't something to write home about, but it was a good change from what I normally ate. I personally would have rather gone down the road to Naples pizza and got one of their stellar pieces of white or fresca.

Crew if I remember correctly had sort've a bar/brewery/grill atmosphere and offered burgers, fries, and a few interesting twists on american food. The time I was there my friends went in and looked at the menu and left because it wasn't what we were looking for at the time.

Again, it's been about a year and some since I left Hyde Park/Poughkeepsie.

I had red snapper that was prepared almost (but not really) like a stew. Come to think of it, we all had fish of some kind. Everyone loved what they ordered.

The cold cucumber soup was delicious, too.

For dessert, we had beignets that they admitted was a mix from Cafe du Monde in New Orleans. Since we had just come back from New Orleans, we were psyched to have that. They prepared it drizzled with chocolate, and a chocolate drink along with it. Yum!

I live on the other side of the river, and would highly recommend Beso in New Paltz.

Edited by ada (log)

Dear Ada, Please tell me about Beso...and any other great suggestions about super food in New Paltz...for a numbereer of years we really loved driving up and eating in Gadeletos..fish was really fresh and prepared in healthy but imaginative ways...then, sadly, the chef left and it just isnt so good..specials are "eh" often and prices have risen...and we would love some other choices...thanks in advance...(p.s. I was born and grew up in Beacon many years ago) :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Check out their website www.beso-restaurant.com. I think there is something for everyone. It's a little pricey for New Paltz, but worth it.

When it first opened the service was pretty bad. We went there twice and gave up for a year. They finally have it together, and the service it pretty good.

I also think Gadaletos had another new chef. I haven't been there lately, but maybe it's worth a try.

Edited by ada (log)