• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peking duck, mushi or mantou?

Kent Wang

All the Peking duck I've had in China has been served with mushi (flour pancake) but there are several restaurants in America that serve it with mantou. I'm told that this is common in parts of China as well, though I don't know which regions. Is mushi more authentic?

I prefer mushi as it's less filling -- which translates into more duck!

I think Mantou with Peking Duck must be a Northern China thing where they serve Mantou with everything.Personally I have had Duck with Mantou only once and it kind of never gelled with me.It has to be the pancake with hoisin sauce and green onions,the only way for me.

A problem I find with mantou is that it is not as absorbent as the pancakes so the duck fat just rolls off of it and onto your hands.

I like them both but sandwiched in a mantou is more common in the NYC Chinatown.

Leave the gun, take the canoli

I was always brought up with pancake (bao bing) with Peking roast duck and mantou with xiangsu ya (fragrent crispy duck).

Maybe because of the differing grease levels that Kent mentioned?!?!

hhmmmm.....xiangsu ya.....need to make some NOW! :biggrin:

<a href='http://www.longfengwines.com' target='_blank'>Wine Tasting in the Big Beige of Beijing</a>

I prefer mushi as it's less filling -- which translates into more duck!

Kent - I'm with you on that!!

I've had it both ways and much prefer the mushi. The thick spongy mantou gets in the way of enjoying the crispy crackling skin. The mushi, on the otherhand, allows for a quick snap through the whole deal. :raz:

... and yes, as Kent pointed out, you can eat more duck with mushi than with mantou, which is another selling point for mushi. :wink:

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I think Mantou  with Peking Duck must be a Northern China thing where they serve Mantou with everything.Personally I have had Duck with Mantou only once and it kind of never gelled with me.It has to be the pancake with hoisin sauce and green onions,the only way for me.

I dunno. I don't recall having had mantou with peking duck in Beijing. It's always pancakes for me!

I have also never seen the mantou thing except in the US. The pancake is clearly superior for reasons already discussed.

In fact - it took me forever to find a local pancake provider in Vancouver so that we could have peking duck at home. One duck per person is about right... :laugh: