• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hungarian Food in NYC or CT

Jane M

Any recommendations for good hungarian food in NYC or CT?

Andre's...more of a cafe. Excellent baked goods and strudel. They have Hungarian food as well. Second Ave. between 84th &85th, west side of street.

Frankie's temporarily closed for renovations. Second Ave. between 81st & 82nd (I think) east side of street.

Hungarian butcher with tons of baked and canned goods. Corner of 81st street and 2nd Avenue.

There used to be so many more places but they have closed. There was recently an article in the NYT about this.

Well, if you're serious about CT, you oughta try the Goulash Place in Danbury. It's completely unassuming-- in a house in a residential neighborhood-- but the food is good and the place has a lot of character. We found the stuffed cabbage and the Transylvanian pork goulash to be especially worthwhile; and it's fun to order anything "Transylvanian". The beef stroganoff unaccountably came with a Kraft Single melted on top. I don't know why.

A caveat: one of the owners died about a year back. If you're planning a trip, call ahead to make sure that they are still in business; here's the Sterns' page with address, phone, etc.

There used to be dozens of Hungarian places in Yorkville. My favorite was Czardas. Now, they're all closed . . . but one. The last Magyar standing. Mocca. On 2nd Ave, between 82nd and 83rd. Not the greatest. But a good value. And all that's left.

There used to be dozens of Hungarian places in Yorkville.  My favorite was Czardas.  Now, they're all closed . . . but one.  The last Magyar standing.  Mocca.  On 2nd Ave, between 82nd and 83rd.  Not the greatest.  But a good value.  And all that's left.

:sad: IT'S CLOSED. The chef went to a coffee shop, down the block, named Frankie's. As of three weeks ago, it too was "closed for renovations." If it does not re-open, that's it, except for Andre's and I have never eaten their food, just the very good strudel.

There used to be dozens of Hungarian places in Yorkville.  My favorite was Czardas.  Now, they're all closed . . . but one.  The last Magyar standing.  Mocca.  On 2nd Ave, between 82nd and 83rd.  Not the greatest.  But a good value.  And all that's left.

Andre's (already mentioned above) is Hungarian and is open...here's a link to the eG topic...click!

OK, it's not so much a topic yet as it is one post (mine), but it has some photos of their food. :wink:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007