• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smoked Joint set to close?

jmbrightman

I saw that in the Daily News this morning about Smoked Joint-- that the last day is Friday, and they hope to open soon in another location.

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

I ate at the Smoked Joint a couple of months ago. The meat was dry and the service terrible. I wouldn't go there again, even if it moved. I don't know what all of the fuss was about.

Eileen

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

There is also one in Langhorne, in front of Oxford Valley Mall, as I mentioned somewhere else.

We were there a few months ago. We had the sampler. Did not like the St Louis ribs. The baby back ribs were all right. In this area there is little else available. On a Tuesday night the service was satisfactory.

Eventually we will return but not on a weekend when the wait can be too long for comfort or sanity.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf

From today's Daily News:

"Tonight's the last chance for karaoke at the Smoked Joint (1420 Locust). The barbecue spot, which opened in September 2004, will close Friday, but hopes to re-open soon in a new location."

Famous last words. I hope they do, in fact, re-open. I thought most of their food was pretty damn good actually.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Famous last words.  I hope they do, in fact, re-open.  I thought most of their food was pretty damn good actually.

Hear, hear. I haven't been back since the Eagles were in the Super Bowl, but that was a memorable meal (if not a memorable night) -- the pulled pork/pickle pizza, corned beef, and wings were all excellent. I like Sweet Lucy's and Phoebe's, but I thought Smoked Joint added something different to the restaurant scene. That Academy House location sucks, though.

Looks like we have another Space that Eats Restaurants on our hands. There hasn't been a successful restaurant in the Academy House space since Marabella's.

OTOH, it looks like the Space that Eats Restaurants opposite the original Ritz on Dock Street has been tamed by the Lamberti family.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Looks like we have another Space that Eats Restaurants on our hands.  There hasn't been a successful restaurant in the Academy House space since Marabella's.

OTOH, it looks like the Space that Eats Restaurants opposite the original Ritz on Dock Street has been tamed by the Lamberti family.

I don't believe there are spaces that eat restaurants.

I do believe that there are too many unprepared restauranteurs that try their hand at doing a restaurant and subsequently realize their errors.

What was that space before Pasta Blitz?

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I do believe that there are too many unprepared restauranteurs that try their hand at doing a restaurant and subsequently realize their errors.

You mean, like naming a restaurant "Pasta Blitz"?

I have an image of terrified patrons hiding under their tables, waiting for the approach of the dreaded Linguinewaffe...

Edited by Andrew Fenton (log)

You mean, like naming a restaurant "Pasta Blitz"?

I have an image of terrified patrons hiding under their tables, waiting for the approach of the dreaded Linguinewaffe...

It was named for the signature dish "penne a la VOOODDDDDKKKKAAA"

More on topic, I never made it there but Sweet Lucy's is hopefully going nowhere.

Evan

Edited by shacke (log)

Dough can sense fear.

According to inside sources there has a been a restructuring of the ownership. Smoked Joint's catering operations will continue and they are indeed scouting for a new location.

The problem with the Academy House location is that you can't see the entrance from the street. The property is virtually hidden away. I can only imagine what the rent is as well.

Back when Marabella's was successful in that spot there wasn't a whole lot else going on. Hopefully some smart entrepreneur can take advantage of that unbelievably central location and the captive audience of theater and orchestra patrons and design a better entrance and signage and have a concept that really flies there. It could potentially be a great location, but not as it is now.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Looks like we have another Space that Eats Restaurants on our hands.  There hasn't been a successful restaurant in the Academy House space since Marabella's.

What was that space before Pasta Blitz?

I think I may be missing an iteration, but the previous occupant of that space that I remember was a Steve Poses operation called City Bites. It actually had a fairly decent run in that space--about five years, IIRC.

BTW, it's no longer Pasta Blitz, but it is still a Lamberti operation. It's now called Positano Coast by Aldo Lamberti.

Edited to add: Riffing off Katie's post above, it may not necessarily be all the fault of the restaurateur. I can't help but think that one of the reasons the building at 10th and Passyunk may be turning into a Space that Eats Restaurants has something to do with the landlord seeing green after Nifty Fifty's did so well in it. A friend of mine who ate there a lot told me that Nifty Fifty's balked when the landlord jacked up the rent after about three years in business, and rather than pay it, said "See ya" and relocated the place to South Jersey (following in the well-worn path trod by many of its customers).

Edited by MarketStEl (log)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

there was a blurb in the Inqy today about this as well... something about the Academy not liking the smoke... I guess the odor from a Smoked Joint is an acquired olefactory taste?

I belch, therefore, I ate...

there was a blurb in the Inqy today about this as well... something about the Academy not liking the smoke...  I guess the odor from a Smoked Joint is an acquired olefactory taste?

I think it would be a nice olfactory accompaniment to the Lion King next door myself.

Oddly enough, I never noticed much BBQ smell at all from innumerable visits to the Smoked Joint. And there is also that health code violation they had about smoking food off of the premises. Who knows?

I just hope their next location has a view outside of something other than women with curlers and foil in their hair and a dry cleaner across the street.

Edited by Bluehensfan (log)

Tonight is the last night at Smoked Joint. My understanding is that last call will be a relaxed affair, so go help them empty the bar! :biggrin:

The more money we can put in the register this evening will hopefully translate into a more timely re-opening in whatever their new location will be.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol