• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Duck magret

Simon Patrice

I just made a duck magret with strawberries, ginger and "poivre long" for dinner. The duck was delicious but the skin wasn't as crisp as it should have been. I did cook it slowly fat-side first to render the fat until it was thin and crisp but after the magret was cooked I let it on a plate covered with aluminum foil for about 10 minutes. When I served it, the skin was all moist and soft. I was a bit disappointed. How could I avoid this if I still want to let the meat rest for a while?

Thanks!

Just don't cover it with foil and put it under a heat lamp or something. To be perfectly honest with a ten minute rest you you're okay just leaving it on the plate without any sort of added heat. The foil will cause it to steam itself, thus moisturizing the crisp skin.

• 3 months later...

I keep magrets in the freezer and just thawed one out which I plan to cook for dinner. But I'm tired of the same old skin side searing with whatever sauce. I want something different. Does anyone have any ideas about other ways to use the marget de canard in cooking? I'm considering grinding it... Any ideas?

Give the skin a quick sear AFTER resting it (in a pan or under a broiler). High heat so the skin crisps up, very briefly - you don't want the breast cooking any more... And yes, don't cover the breast either (it will steam).

Edited by Mikeb19 (log)

I keep magrets in the freezer and just thawed one out which I plan to cook for dinner.  But I'm tired of the same old skin side searing with whatever sauce.  I want something different.  Does anyone have any ideas about other ways to use the marget de canard in cooking?  I'm considering grinding it... Any ideas?

Lucy, I too took a magret de canard out of the freezer today. I was going to go with the usual sear/sauce technique as I found some lovely dried sour cherrys recently, but now you've got me thinking of something different. But what???? Do let us know what you come up with!

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Slice the skin off, dice it and slowly fry to use as duck cracklings... nice on top of a risotto, or salted and left on a counter they tend to vanish all by themselves. You are then freed from the searing-skin-down thing, and can cook the magret any way you want. Stuff w/foie, or mushrooms, or apples...

If you want to grind, I assume you're thinking sausage. Here are some ideas:

http://www.paula-wolfert.com/recipes/duck_sausage.html - this one doesn't require added fat or hog casings; it's poached in cling film. She specifies leg meat but it should work with breast.

http://lpoli.50webs.com/Sausage%20recipes....LTRY%20SAUSAGES - traditional fresh duck sausage, in casings. I've had good luck with Len's recipes.

Polcyn's Charcuterie also has a duck sausage recipe.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

Malheureusement, returned home late and wanted something fairly quick, using the ingredients I had. Thus, pan seared duck with a sour cherry/red wine sauce. Delicious, but not different. What did you do, Lucy?

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

How about slicing it into strips and using it in a stir-fry?

BTW, I don't think I can ever tire of having it prepared seared skin-side down and with sauce. :smile:

While not magret, last night I prepared some duck leg confit from Grimaud Farms and served it with sauteed mushrooms and a combination of kohlrahbi and carrots glazed with cinnamon. That confir is so easy and soooo good.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

docsconz's post gave me an idea. You could turn the magret into confit.

When I was making my own confit de oie I always used the breast as well as everything else. As I recall in the 'good old days' the usual way was to use the whole duck.

It is, I think, only fairly recently that magret has become so popular and of course the producers can get a better price for the breasts as magret than as confit.

A bit expensive as I can buy a cuisse for 2-3 Euros and a magret costs between 4 & 6, but it might be pretty luxurious as a treat.

May just give this a try next time I find magret on sale.

Lucy's question got me thinking about alternative ways with magret...

She mentioned grinding it and that reminded me of a hamburger recipe I once had but cannot find anymore: It was magret (with skin and fat) coarsely ground, spring onions, cilantro (root as well), finely cut kaffir lime leaves (or lemon or orange zest) and maybe other Asian spices. Slightly sweet and fragrant, that went very well with duck.

Or, more traditional: Using a long knife, cut a pocket into the magret(s) and stuff it. Stuffing: finely diced duck livers, sautéed, mixed with bread crumbs, some spinach and egg yolk, port. As there is only a small opening in the meat an icing bag can be useful in getting the stuffing inside the meat. The magrets are then fried from both sides and go into a moderately hot oven for 10 minutes.

Sometimes I use the meat of the breast, no skin, for a quick saute' sauce for pumpkin gnocchi or spaetzle. It is also good finely chopped to make a ragu' with dry porcini and walnuts and use it to dress pasta such as pici or other fresh egg pasta.

Or you can cook the breast and use it as filling for ravioli or for spring rolls.

These all sound like great ideas. I am especially intrigued by Cronenberg's ideas. I would be tempted to make game papilottes with the seasoned ground duck mix. I could do many small ones, small enough to serve as an amuse, a couple as an entree, or 3 or 4 as a main dish, and freeze them. Since I am not all ducked out yet and game season has begun, I think I may try this idea. A good way to extend the use of expensive hunted colverts for example.