• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chef's uniform -

...particularly, why are chef's hats shaped the way they are? (I'm not sure where this question would fit in, so I posted it here.) I know almost nothing about the history of fashion, but it strikes me that uniforms in general serve a symbolic function rather than a practical one. The closely- buttoned white jacket of the chef looks uptight: why not more comfortable formal wear? The hat, which looks like an elongated souffle dish, must have an interesting origin. I am reminded of the top of a tajine, which is meant to be cooler than the saucer :smile: ...but I'm not being entirely facetious, I'm interested in knowing, if anyone can point me to a thread or a link or simply give me an answer.

Miriam

Miriam Kresh

blog:[blog=www.israelikitchen.com][/blog]

I think the classic chef's uniform is a mixture of both symbolic and functional design. As i am aware most of the outfit has come from military origins, the hat and the double breasted tunic in particular. The hat started out much smaller and grew in height to distinguish rank, i guess the pattern on the toque has come from folding the material to support it's height. The jacket is clearly a descendant of the Napoleonic style tunics that soldiers wore and its weight has been retained (up until recently) to protect the wearer from spills and splashes. The double breasted front allows for easy removal if it catches fire and its white colour is to promote cleanliness. The apron is to extend the life of the jacket through the service and the neck tie is to help make them more comfortable by absorbing some of the sweat. The thing i would love to know is why are chef's trousers blue and white and checked?

Also if i am wrong on any of this i would love to find out the real origins!

Matt

The quest for perfection will lead you to role models that will last you for life (Nico Ladenis)

I found this Site that says

Actually, there are couple of different theories about the origin of the chef's hat, or toque, and there is probably some truth in both.

Some say the toque can be traced back to the seventh century A.D., when chefs were considered learned men (remember that "epicurean" derives from the name of a Greek philosopher, Epicurus).

The other most prominent story about the history of the toque is that it comes to us from the ancient Assyrians. -- chefs were chosen carefully, and treated very well, often even holding rank in the king's court. Legend has it that the chef's high position entitled him

to wear a "crown" of sorts, in the same shape as the king's, though made out of cloth and without all of those bothersome jewels. The crown-shaped ribs of the royal headdress became the pleats of the toque, originally sewn, and later stiffened with starch.

Another reference says that

A toque blanche is a tall, starched, white, pleated hat worn by chefs, although the blanche is nearly always dropped. The term literally means "white hat" in French and may have come from the old Spanish toca. The many folds on a chef's toque are believed to signify the many ways that an egg can be cooked. Many toques have exactly 100 pleats.

and this culinary site talks about the uniform. It says that

Much of the chef's uniform has developed out of necessity. The jacket, for example, is double-breasted so it can easily be reversed to hide ss that may accumulate throughout the day; the double layer of cotton is also designtained to insulate our bodies against the intense heat of the stove or an accidental splattering of hot liquid. Even the knotted cloth buttons were fashioned for a reason-cloth will withstand the frequent washings and abuse buttons often take from contact with pots, pans and other heavy equipment. Though executive chefs often wear black pants, working chefs and cooks usually don pants with black-and-white checks-the dizzying pattern of hound's tooth camouflages minor spills and soilings. Today neckerchiefs are primarily worn for aesthetic purposes, to give our uniforms a more finished look, but originally cotton cloths were draped around ones neck to soak body sweat while working in the inferno-like kitchens of yesteryear.

and also
It wasn't until the middle 1800's that chef Marie-Antoine Carême redesigned the uniforms. Carême thought the color white more appropriate, that it denoted cleanliness in the kitchen;

Escoffier too, thought the cleanliness of the cook's uniform was very important, and that it promoted professionalism. His staff was required to maintain clean and complete uniforms while on the job, and were also encouraged to wear coats and ties while not at work. To this day cooks and chefs around the world wear the same attire that has traceable origins back to more than 400 years.

Edited by joiei (log)

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Matthew and Joiei,

Thank you for your thoughtful replies. I was especially glad to see the article which the Joiei's last quote refered to, which was written by a professional chef and presumably a reliable source. In my researches into home winemaking, I have found all kinds speculation and befogged theory regarding the role of alcohol, honey, and mead in Jewish history; it has amused and annoyed me that none of the good folk discussing this ever thought to consult a Jewish source or even ask a Jew. With regard to the traditional chef's uniform, I am satisfied, although it seems that the origins of the toque are unclear and still subject to myth.

I became interested in this subject after reading Margaret Atwood's "The Robber Bride", where one of the characters lectures on the history of military uniforms and how downright silly some of them were - such as the old bright-red uniform of the British soldier, which made him as visible to the enemy as a bonfire. The chef's uniform has always looked hot to me, considering that a kitchen is a hot enough place to work in so many hours a day; I was not aware that it has a cotton padding to insulate from cooking accidents. The twisted-cloth buttons, which I'd never observed, are practical. A tall headdress indicates high status in any society...now I'm doing a little speculating myself, it seems.

Miriam

Miriam Kresh

blog:[blog=www.israelikitchen.com][/blog]

I became interested in this subject after reading Margaret Atwood's "The Robber Bride", where one of the characters lectures on the history of military uniforms and how downright silly some of them were - such as the old bright-red uniform of the British soldier, which made him as visible to the enemy as a bonfire.

A little off-topic, but the bright red uniforms were, like those in ancient Sparta, designed to hide the color of blood and promote more bravery (or is it bravado?) among soldiers.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

A little off-topic, but the bright red uniforms were, like those in ancient Sparta, designed to hide the color of blood and promote more bravery (or is it bravado?) among soldiers.

I wouldn't say that this is incorrect, but while this type of bravado might inspire elite soldiers, it wouldn't be a good "selling point" for the average volunteer. The uniforms of those days (prior to accurate rifle fire) were brightly colored and decorated mostly to attract young, impressionable men who wanted to look good.

A friend of mine bought me a toque just recently... I rarely wear hats as it is, but wearing one while working over a hot stove seemed to make even less sense to me. Still, I did find a hair in a meal I prepared (my own, thankfully) and I've got a sense of humor, so I put the stupid thing on...

I felt like the chartered accountant in the Monthy Python skit -- he wanted to be a lion tamer, and when John Cleese asked him what his qualifications were, he explained that he had a lion tamer hat, with "Lion Tamer" written on it, which lit up so it could be seen at night, so he could tame them when they were less stroppy...

Well, long story short -- the thing wasn't hot at all. And it absorbed sweat extremely well -- it was a very hot day and I had a big pan of pasta water going, a sauce, things sauteed etc. I would normally had to dry my forehead a number of times. That thing felt comfortable, and seemed downright practical. Of course, tennis sweat band would do the same job.

But now I'm really liking my toque. I'm thinking of ironing it. I'll get a lion tamer hat next, I'm sure.

I read recently in the biography of Careme that he is credited with inventing the precurser of the modern chef's uniform, back in the 1800's in France.

Excerpt from http://ezra.cornell.edu/posting.php?timestamp=1080799200 (Question 12):

The double-breasted white chef coat is made so that the outside flap can be reversed if a chef has gotten messy while cooking and needs to have a fresh and clean presentation for the dining room. The double-layered fabric also adds an element of safety should hot grease or other hot liquids splatter on the person. The checked pants also served to "disguise" minor spills and splatters incurred while in the kitchen.

The famous chef Marie-Antoine Careme, father of French haute cuisine, standardized the chef's uniform in the 1800s. This included color standardization, choosing white because it symbolized cleanliness. Under Careme, chef hats varied in height based on their rank in the kitchen. Careme himself was reported to have worn an 18" high toque. The little folded pleats in the hat emerged later, and are meant to total 100, representing 100 ways that a good chef can cook an egg. Chef toques were originally made of fabric and required heavy starching to keep them tall. In the 1960s paper toques emerged which made maintaining cleanliness easier.

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"

Well, they say that toques are good for maintaining head temperature, but I think McGee has some essay or the like where he talks about the benefits of a baseball cap in the kitchen. I think its something about the brim providing a place for warm air to circulate and condense, or the like.. Im sure someone can find a more benefical source of information than my swiss cheese memory.

Rico