• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

who wants cocktails?

mrbigjas

being a newbie to the area there are a lot of these participating places that I am unfamiliar with and have never been to.

Can anyone recommend which would be of note, as far as value and food? I am sure that there are deals to be had and places that might be more approachable for some of us at this price point than their usual ones.

Thanks!

Beth

<a href='http://retroroadmap.com' target='_blank'>Retro Roadmap - All the Retro, Vintage and Cool Old places worth visiting!</a>

I don't think any of them are offering discounts on their regular menu, it's meant to drive traffic to the bar sections of the restaurants.

That said, I believe some do serve complimentary hors d'ouvres and samples from the menu.

IIRC, Brasserie Perrier and Morton's have long running happy hours with food and drink that are very well liked, but I don't know if it's on Wednesdays.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I don't think any of them are offering discounts on their regular menu, it's meant to drive traffic to the bar sections of the restaurants.

That said, I believe some do serve complimentary hors d'ouvres and samples from the menu.

IIRC, Brasserie Perrier and Morton's have long running happy hours with food and drink that are very well liked, but I don't know if it's on Wednesdays.

Brasserie Perrier is participating in the Wednesday-night promotion. Morton's is not. Davio's, the site of a happy hour gathering of eGulleteers last year during this promotion, is once again. Their appetizers are what you might expect (varied pizzas) and what you might not (cheesesteak spring roll), and good.

Looking at the list, at a quick glance, Bistro St. Tropez takes the prize for most interesting appetizers. If you want to use the event as a way to test drive a restaurant's menu, the Happy Rooster will oblige, but I imagine the selections from the menu will vary from week to week. A few other places, including El Vez, Tragos and Washington Square, are also offering a changing appetizer menu.

You'll still find me at Bump on Fridays. Their food is good, but they don't offer it as appetizer freebies.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

These look like good options to me (my criteria being, a) free food b) I would try at least one of the cocktails, wines or beers being featured c) I don't hate the restaurant):

- Bistro St. Tropez (free tuna tartare, mozz/basil/tomato, and smoked salmon...I suppose I could try a French Martini, though it seems awfully sweet)

- Brasserie Perrier (Sidecars, mini pizzas, canapes)

- El Vez

- Happy Rooster (Pimm's Cups, Lillet & soda, free appetizers)

The only one I've been to on that list is BP. Anyone have opinions on the other three?

Edited: Thanks for the info, Sandy. Maybe I'll add Davio's to my list, even though I had a completely boring Restaurant Week meal there a couple of years ago. Still, I could go for a (free) cheesesteak spring roll!

Edited by Diann (log)

These look like good options to me (my criteria being, a) free food b) I would try at least one of the cocktails, wines or beers being featured c) I don't hate the restaurant):

Bistro St. Tropez (free tuna tartare, mozz/basil/tomato, and smoked salmon...I suppose I could try a French Martini, though it seems awfully sweet)

Brasserie Perrier (Sidecars, mini pizzas, canapes)

El Vez

Happy Rooster (Pimm's Cups, Lillet & soda, free appetizers)

The only one I've been to on that list is BP. Anyone have opinions on the other three?

They're all solid. Worth checking out if the situation is right.

French Martini?? Made with Grey Goose? Lillet?

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Maybe Bistro St. Tropez's will be different. Looks like one is going to have to go and check this out and report back. I'll be around BP today after my eye exam, so I may stop by. Nothing like having my eyes dialated then having a drink.

Not part of CC Sips, but still a good deal for free food is Zanzibar Blue, which does Happy Hours from Tuesdays through Fridays. They have drink specials and free food (usually two hot dishes and a salad). Mortons does has free steak sandwiches daily, and the last time I checked they have 1/2-price martinis on Thursdays. Last year, the Striped Bass had free food on Fridays--shrimp, tuna tartare, oysters. By far the best deal yet. Haven't checked if they're continuing this.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

wow, and i always thought a french martini was just basically a vodka martini made with lillet.  i wonder what that is, then.

Drinkboy and Webtender are great resources for drink recipes.

Drinkboy was a frequent contributor in Beverages forum, but I haven't been there in a while.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Last time I went, Morton's had discountinued their $5 martinis on Thursdays.  They still had the free sandwiches, though... but it wasn't the big bargain that it used to be!

Bummer. Thanks for the heads up.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany