• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New book: "Culinary Boot Camp"

mrsadm

The author attended the 5-day Boot Camp at the Culinary Institute of America and writes an entire book about the 5-day experience.

Anyone read it?

Amazon.com has 1 good review and 1 not-so-good review.

I've taken at least 5 1-day classes at the CIA and cannot imagine I would learn much from the book so don't plan to spend the $$ on it.

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"

That's funny - I saw a few boot camp students walking the halls on my recent visit there and wondered idly how long it would take before this would happen. Apparently the ink was already drying on the page before I could even think it. I guess I might check it out from the library to satisfy my curiosity but I can't imagine it will find its way onto my shelves.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I'm curious about it as i have been considering doing a boot camp for awhile but haven't got around to actually doing it. It might give a better idea as to how worthwhile an experience it is. i have done one day courses as well, but I imagine it is not quite the same thing.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

The book is more of a cooperative venture between the CIA and cookbook author Martha Rose Shulman (she has written 20+ cookbooks). They are listed as co-authors, with the CIA listed first, though she seems to have done all the writing. Wiley, the publisher, does all the CIA books.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

ehhhhh. got it from the library, thank goodness. it was mildly interesting plane reading, at best. the photos were quite off-putting, especially since i know how expensive color photos can be in cookbook publishing...there are way too many blurred (as in "action") shots of chefs bustling here and there, or artsy shots...including one of the POOL at the CIA...hello? kinda gave me the clue that this was an ode to the cia, instead of a great read, a la "making of a chef" .

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

• 1 month later...

I also recently took the book out of the library, out of curiosity. I’m a CIA “Enthusiast” in many ways- that’s the term they use. I’ve taken many day classes there (and elsewhere- especially the Institute for Culinary Education in NYC), have been many times to their restaurants, bakery, bookshop, benefits, dining events, etc. and know a few alumni. Still, I wanted to know what Boot Camp was about and whether it was worth it for me to take. How much would one learn not experienced previously? I was a bit surprised that the author, being a culinary professional (author, cooking class teacher, recipe-tester) didn’t seem to know certain facts and details about some aspects of cookery. It seems that many of the things most important about the experience- the principles taught (knife skills, organization/mise en place, timing, sanitation, professionalism as well as many specifics (stock making, dry/wet, types of heat cooking) could be picked up from previously taken classes or experiences. It seems as if you’ve not had any CIA experiences in terms of dining/wine-pairing, or instruction and feel you need a bit of fundamental basics, it could be time well spent. I’m still not sure I can justify it (like many people, although the cost is a consideration, it’s more the time). It’s one thing to go there for the day on Saturday- I can drive there in about an hour and a half-it’s another thing to give up a week of work, unless, of course, you are coming from a great distance. I’m sure that no matter what your skill level is, there is always much to learn (you quickly realize in these classes not how much you know, but how much you have to learn and that you can always improve on something you think you know). I have taken a couple of courses with one of the subjects of the book- Chef Von Bargen. He is, as the author indicates, knowledgeable, enthusiastic, tough but fair- a great teacher. The programs sound great, but one still has to justify the “return on investment” of time/money. CIA does have some specific classes that may help fill in the gaps for some (e.g. Stock-Making, Knife Skills). Glad to see that they are now offering some “Advanced Classes” as well.

Mark A. Bauman

Recently read a 3 parter on a food blog about the culinary boot camp -

Beyond Salom Blog

Hi guys,

I am the blogger from Beyond Salmon who just attended that program. You can read the details here:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

I can't say I learned a lot about cooking. I found the material presented to be too basic, and too much focus was put on producing food in teams and on time. It's very important for working in the industry, but don't expect this program to improve your techniques. A disclaimer though: I cook a lot, I've interned in a restaurant before, and I teach cooking classes. I've never gone to culinary school though, so I thought it would be a great experience. The only area that was really new to me was presentation. A lot of attention was given to plating (almost too much for my taste), and I did pick up a few tricks on how to make your food look good. But I can't say it was worth $2000 and a week of vacation.

This is not to discredit CIA classes in general. I am guessing that classes on more specific topics would be better. Somehow the words "boot camp" make it sound really serious. I think "Cooking 101" would be a more accurate name for this course.