• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

McCrady's or Charleston Grill?

mkjr

Looking to take a poll as I can only choose one for dinner tomorrow night - and both sound fantastic. Many thanks in advance for the time. Regards, Mark

officially left egullet....

Based on the menus, Charleston Grill. Honestly, I wouldn't go to either of them if I were going to Charleston.

Many thanks for your input. Already went to Poogan's last night which was fantastic. We went to Sweatman's last Saturday so we do not really need a BBQ fix. Will go to Hominy Grill this morning.

I have looked at your posts but can not seem to see any alternate suggestions. Let me know if you have some but we would like a fairly high end place as this will be a spcial event PG seems to have marginal reviews lately.

Will go to Hominy Grill this morning. 

I have looked at your posts but can not seem to see any alternate suggestions.  Let me know if you have some but we would like a fairly high end place as this will be a spcial event PG seems to have marginal reviews lately.

I highly recommend Circa 1886Circa 1886, although my next dinner in Charleston will be at McCrady's. We had lunch at the Hominy Grill last week and although the food was good, I don't think it's worth the hype it seems to get.

Edited to add hyperlink

Edited by Bombdog (log)

Dave Valentin

Retired Explosive Detection K9 Handler

"So, what if we've got it all backwards?" asks my son.

"Got what backwards?" I ask.

"What if chicken tastes like rattlesnake?" My son, the Einstein of the family.

Based on the menus, Charleston Grill. Honestly, I wouldn't go to either of them if I were going to Charleston.

Many thanks for your input. Already went to Poogan's last night which was fantastic. We went to Sweatman's last Saturday so we do not really need a BBQ fix. Will go to Hominy Grill this morning.

I have looked at your posts but can not seem to see any alternate suggestions. Let me know if you have some but we would like a fairly high end place as this will be a spcial event PG seems to have marginal reviews lately.

Circa 1886, Magnolia's and Peninsula Grillwould be higher end places to check out. The shellfish over grits dish at Magnolia's is excellent. My trip to Circa was on Valentine's Day and was a special menu, so I can't recommend anything there. Their vegetairan southern sampling looks good. The Shrimp, chicken and pork dishes at Peninsula Grill sound solid...and of course, the coconut cake.

Circa 1886, Magnolia's and Peninsula Grillwould be higher end places to check out. The shellfish over grits dish at Magnolia's is excellent. My trip to Circa was on Valentine's Day and was a special menu, so I can't recommend anything there. Their vegetairan southern sampling looks good. The Shrimp, chicken and pork dishes at Peninsula Grill sound solid...and of course, the coconut cake.

Thanks. Just wondering if you have been to all three of Peninsula Grill, McCrady's and Charleston Grill? Also, I heard of people going to the Peninsula Grill for just the cake after dinner. Is this common? Might consider the same. Thanks again for all the suggestions. I could spend a week in Charleston and never go to the same place twice.

McCrady's for their new chef, Sean Brock :wink:  most assuredly worth the meal ...

Just returned from Charleston. Am short on time now and can't write much. Was not at all impressed with McCrady's....maybe expectations were too high? Not worth the money, IMO. Haven't been to Charleston Grill in several years so can't judge fairly. My best dinner during our long weekend was at Hominy Grill.

CBHall

McCrady's for their new chef, Sean Brock :wink:  most assuredly worth the meal ...

Just returned from Charleston. Am short on time now and can't write much. Was not at all impressed with McCrady's....maybe expectations were too high? Not worth the money, IMO. Haven't been to Charleston Grill in several years so can't judge fairly. My best dinner during our long weekend was at Hominy Grill.

Thanks. Going with Charleston Grill and leaving now (final decision made in part after I looked at the wine list last night and saw a few gems that I have been dying to try at prices well below current auction prices :biggrin: ). Will report back with my thoughts. Thanks again to all.

"Thanks. Just wondering if you have been to all three of Peninsula Grill, McCrady's and Charleston Grill? Also, I heard of people going to the Peninsula Grill for just the cake after dinner. Is this common? Might consider the same. Thanks again for all the suggestions. I could spend a week in Charleston and never go to the same place twice."

No, I have not been been to them. I try to do one or two higher end meals while on a trip (ex. Magnolia's and Circa 1886) and spend the rest of the time at more reasonable places that also have a little more laid back (Poogans, sticky fingers, charleston crab house). Sometimes my plan works out, sometimes it doesn't. Peninsula is on my list of places to go next time, and I'll try to work in dinner and coconut cake. If they ship their coconut cake across the country, I wouldn't be surprised if people just pop in for dessert (I would probably get it to go and take it back to my hotel room).

There's enough options in Charleston that I think I can skip out on McG and CG for at least the next 2 or 3 trips. It just doesn't seem all that low country to me- and that's the biggest draw foodwise for me in Charleston. I'll take a bowl of she crab soup and some shrimp n' grits over a fancy shmancy liquid-nitrogen frozen foie gras ice cream. I guess I'm just unrefined and boring.

Edited by carpetbagger, esq. (log)

I'll take a bowl of she crab soup and some shrimp n' grits over a fancy shmancy liquid-nitrogen frozen foie gras ice cream. I guess I'm just unrefined and boring.

I think that we were on the same wave length - you can only have one top cookie per week as my wife says. I did check out Sweatman's (after reading Holly Eats review) and damn was that the best BBQ I have had ever.

For tonight, I was looking for something high-end but local and thought that CG was it. I was in Charleston last year for only one day and then later figured out I messed up a great dining destination by staying only one day.

Note, after just getting back from CG and really looking at the three menus I was happy with the choice we made but would go to the others on another trip just to compare (since there is no doubt I will be back to Charleston - like I said I can eat for weeks here with the many choices). The food was stellar at CG and the service was great - the two waiters were fantastic!

Poogan's last night was also very very good and I am so happy that we went - and the she crab soup and shrimp n' grits that I had (based on others advice) now makes me drool right now even thinking about how I will never get this back home in Toronto. A partner at my firm back in Toronto also had very positive things to say about Poogan's. Funny thing is that last year my wife and I parked in the parkade across the street and just walked by....as they say in pretty woman..."BIG mistake...HUGE".

We ended up going to Basil for lunch today and I was very impressed with the quality of the Thai food. What I really liked was the portion size - not too big and just perfect. I would give very high marks to this food and although we came to get local food this was awsome. I was very sad to see that So Cal Burrito had closed but such is life and the only reason why we ended up here last year was going to for Fort Moultrie. It was nice to take the new bridge though.

We had thought about getting take out for our last bottle of Turley at our hotel room from the P Grill but the staff at CG brought an extra desert for us that just filled us up for our special dinner.

I think the kicker for me to go to CG was the bottle of the 1997 Domaine Raveneau Butteaux PC on the list for only a $100 bucks. I just do not see much of this producer in Canada let alone at this price to pass up any chance to drink the best Chablis producer in France (I suspect few would disagree),

In any event, Charleston is very impressive for dining and I will be sad to leave tomorrow morning. :sad:

When we were in Charleston last week, one of our favorite places to eat was Sienna restaurant on Daniel Island. No, it's not low country--but this Italian restaurant knocked our socks off! The Frito Misto was the best since Venice and everything elase was amazing. When we chose to have just wines by the glass, our waitperson came up with some great choices and told us why--and he was right. We did not get the tasting menu but will the next time we go.