• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese ham

How does it differ from Western versions such as Italian prosciutto, Virginia ham, etc.? Is it safe to consume uncooked?

I remember eating this as a little kid. My dad would have bits of it chopped up to add to soup. I use to stand ther and just gobble it up before putting it into the soup. Not saying it's safe to eat uncook, I just did and didn't have any problems.

Well, anyway, I would like to know too.

the closest to true Jinhua or Yunnan ham in the states is Smithfield ham, available by mail order or at most Chinese markets.

It is EXTREMELY salty, and while it can be eaten raw, is best stir-fried to let its fat, smoke and flavour infuse whatever you are cooking with. :)

The best brand of Smithfiled ham is Gwaltney, and it can be ordered from here (though it is a LOT easier just to get it pre-sliced at Ranch 99 or a Chinese grocer:

http://www.smithfieldhams.com/vcart/itemblock/?itemblock=6

cheers, JH

Edited by jhirshon (log)

In my recent travels to Toronto's Chinatowns I see that every Chinese "supermarket" carries vac packed prosciutto ham hocks. Speaking to the clerk, he says that it is very popular for soups because unlike most ham it is not smoked.

Unless these raw country style hams have been specifically tested for Listeria, They are NOT safe to consume raw. Even then, thier are instances of Prosciutto being recalled for Listeria. Listeria is killed by heat. -Dick

I grew up eating Chinese ham. In the Philippines, it has a special place on the table, served only on special occasions, especially Christmas dinners. There's a domestic version, but the best is imported from China. It comes in a cloth sack that's wrapped in paper then slipped inside a red plastic netting. I'm sure it's the quality of the pig that makes the biggest difference, but the curing is also key. In the Phlippines, the pigs are excellent but they don't know the secrets of curing the ham as in China.

I find Virginia and Smithfield hams prepared in a similar style but are much saltier and drier in taste. The flavor is lacking, I mainly taste the salt. I think it boils down to how they raise the pigs.

I don't know if Chinese ham is available in the U.S. If it is, I'd like to know where to get it. I know importing hams in the US is very difficult. My favorite ham of all, the jamon iberico from Spain, is taking years to get approval.

In my recent travels to Toronto's Chinatowns I see that every Chinese  "supermarket" carries vac packed prosciutto ham hocks. Speaking to the clerk, he says that it is very popular for soups because unlike most ham it is not smoked.

Does anyone know the traditional pig feed that is used in China? It could explain the unique flavor.

Italian prosciutto is salt- and air-cured--it's almost never smoked except in the northern German-speaking areas of Italy, in which case it's called Speck. So, prosciutto might be a good, if expensive, substitute.

• 2 weeks later...