• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sourdough non-bread

donyeokl

Just baked a loaf of focaccia using white leaven at 100% hydration. Did not do a good job at dimpling the top before baking though.

focaccia.jpg

focaccia2.jpg

Adjusted the contrast just a little to give a better cross-section of the bread.

focaccia1.jpg

Happy Baking...

Don

Cheers...

Don

Hi Vanessa,

Thank you... This is the recipe I used:

STARTER

125g Active starter (100% hydration)

65g Water (room temperature)

1/2 tblsp Honey or Maple Syrup

1/2 tblsp Olive oil

DOUGH

1 tsp Salt

250g All Purpose flour (Sifted with salt)

Whisk the starter, water, honey and olive oil together then add the flour and salt. Stir and mix well with your hand till you get a dough consistency which will be a little sticky. Scrap all the loose dough from your hands and bowl. Clean and slightly oil a bowl and leave the dough for 10 minutes covered. After the 10 minutes, oil your hand, pour out the dough on a clean and oiled surface and knead for approx 15 seconds turning and folding the dough as you go (stop kneading once dough begin to stick to the surface). Put dough back into bowl and cover for another 10 mins before kneading again (you do 3 x 15secs knead at 10mins interval for 30mins total). After the 30mins, pour the dough on to oiled surface, press down lightly to make a rectangle and fold dough in thirds ( take top edge fold in 1/3 and fold the bottom over, just like what you do for puff pastry), turn the dough a quarter turn (90 deg), press lightly and fold the dough in thirds again then return it into the bowl covered with cloth. After an hour, repeat the folding process and return dough to bowl. After the third folding, take a knife, make a slit in the dough and check for bubbles. Once you see bubbles, the dough is ready to be shaped.

Preheat oven to 210C (425F), line a baking sheet with parchment paper, stretch the dough gently and press down to form a rect approx. 11in x 12in. If you find the dough too springy, cover with cloth for 10mins and press again to form the rect. Once done, cover with towel and leave to rest for 15mins then dimple the dough with your fingers and brush with olive oil. Bake for 20 mins or till top is golden brown then turn dough over and bake till bottom is brown, approx 15mins. Remove and cool on a wire rack.

I hope this helps....

Looks great! How on earth dou you handle a 100% hydration dough?!! .-) I've been struggelig to keep my 75% doughs from sticking to everything in my kitchen .-)

Hi glennbech,

the hydration % I mentioned is referring to the hydration of the starter and not the hydration of the dough. I did not use any commercial yeast for this recipe. Apologies if I mislead you. :hmmm:

Cheers

Don

Cheers...

Don

Hi there,

From what I have seen so far, the hydration has been close to this %. There are recipes that has lower or some slightly higher. I have realize that you need to be on the gentle side and not to degazz the dough while kneading and folding. From what I have seen and tasted, some focaccia are pretty dense and you might want to think that this is somewhat modified to suit my liking... :cool:

Apologies if I have not answered you in a more technical manner... Someone help!!! :shock:

Cheers...

Don

Cheers...

Don

You're reply is perfectly technical enogh -.) I was just wondering if you had made a "special" type of focaccia .-) I'm very new to this, and were confused to see breads with hydration levels less than 50% .-)

Happy baking... Mmm... It sure looked good .-)

Hi Glenbech,

You're reply is perfectly technical enogh -.) I was just wondering if you had made a "special" type of focaccia .-) I'm very new to this, and were confused to see breads with hydration levels less than 50% .-)

I really hope so... :wink: I tried a sourdough recipe with 50% hydration and it still turn out fine but crumbs are on the dense side. I am also a beginner in this so I am trying out with whatever I learn.

DSC00079.jpg

DSC00083.jpg

It looks truly great. I've got to try your recipe. Thanks for sharing!

Hi Ron,

Your most welcome. Please try the recipe and do post some photos of it...

Happy Baking

Don

Cheers...

Don

So we seem to be on a sourdough bread kick. Anyone doing anything else with the starter??

Todays experiment was sourdough pancakes. All I can really say is they were good enough to eat, no better no worse.

The recipe came from here...

http://www.cowboyshowcase.com/sourdough.ht...ough%20pancakes

"regular" pancake recipe....This batter came out really thick, I should have switched to Waffle mode but instead I added milk and over worked it somewhat

I am currently waiting on some doughnut dough that I made up as I went and didnt measure :rolleyes: ...Well it does have 1 cup of starter and 2 eggs - and some Sugar, Butter, Milk, Cinn, Salt, and enough flour to make a really soft dough

We shall see soon enough...I am sure rolled in sugar they will be quite tasty

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I've often wanted to take sour dough to another level, just never took the time really.

What about sour dough funnel cake for savory applications?

I wonder if you can make a sour dough pie dough by reducing all the water and 1/3 of the flour.

Sour dough pate a choux?

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

I've seen recipes for sourdough everything from pancakes to chocolate cake and cookies. We make sourdough banana bread with ginger, but no dairy, which comes out very well. An added bonus is that the dough keeps very well in the cooler ... obviously the starter keeps on working because the rise is better after a couple of days. Susan

Does anyone happen to have a recipe for a standard "White Bread"?...pullman ...yeah that sounds less like wonder bread.

Preferabley not in bakers percentages I haven't wrapped my head around that yet, I still convert grams to cups and hope for the best

All that chewey bread is killing my jaw and giving me headaches

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

My Webpage

Here's a few english muffins I made yesterday. The dough mix is 81.6% hydration.

new_Muffins005.jpg

new_Muffins004.jpg

When I cut the others they had a lot more holes, trust me to pick the lousy one to photograph.

regards

Bill

Kind regards

Bill

Hi Tracey,

Here is the thread to a pullman's loaf recipe I put up recently. http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=86926

I did not slide on the lid thus the rounded top, slide on the lid to get a square loaf.

The recipe uses baker's yeast but if you want to substitute it with a sourdough starter, the recipe is a follows:

150g Starter

225g All purpose flour

200g Bread flour

275g Water or 50/50 milk and water

20g golden syrup

10g Salt

50g butter (optional)

* I add raisins to the recipe but you can just have it plain or add anything you desire.

Hope this helps...

Cheers...

Don

Cheers...

Don

So I had mentioned something about doughnuts last week.

They were pretty damn tasty...when they were fresh and hot that is, the next morning when I brought them to work was a whole other story. My new boss is never going to eat anything I make again. I gave him a nice homemade doughnut and then took one for myself a few min later. Oh dear lord it tasted like sweet nasty old grease wrapped up in chewey dough :wacko::shock::sad:

yech yech yech

no more making extra

( he never said a word )

gallery_23695_426_104742.jpg

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

Maxine

My Webpage

• 2 weeks later...
I've been wanting to make a sourdough pizza for a while now. Good idea/Bad idea?

This is a great idea :rolleyes: Have you tried it yet?

Just a simple southern lady lost out west...

"Leave Mother in the fridge in a covered jar between bakes. No need to feed her." Jackal10

I believe there's a sourdough chocolate cake recipe in Nancy Silverton's Breads from the La Brea Bakery. Haven't tried it, but I loved the sourdough rye pancakes from that book. The sourdough bagels were wonderful, but I think they're technically bread.

k

• 7 months later...

I'll know tomorrow when I bake, but it appears that I may have finally achieved success with my sourdough starter. I'm starting with some basic loaves (I've been using BBA for advice).

But, next on the docket (per the kids) is sourdough English Muffins. My barm is fairly thick, and I'm looking for some ideas on proportion of flour to barn to water.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

That's great you are doing your own starter...I haven't done that since school. The one thing interesting about that is that with sour dough your bread will taste different in different spots that you make it due to the bacteria and yeast that is in the area...how long have you been making your own starter for?

Robert

Chocolate Forum