• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salty vegetables

Christopher Haatuft

there are a lot of greens that contain natural salts and therefore do not need a lot of salt added to season them. I am thinking mostly of beet greens and chard.

there are a lot of greens that contain natural salts and therefore do not need a lot of salt added to season them. I am thinking mostly of beet greens and chard.

thank you for your reply. do you know of any other vegetables and why they become high in salt content? Mayby it has to do with where theire planted? Mineral rich soil etc?

I just saw this thread--I just posted a new one on sea beans. They are salty and if cooked too long become too salty and fishy. Really very good--great with seafood.

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

Salicornia (sea beans) have 2 grams sodium per 100 grams fresh weight. That's a pretty high salt content. Raw green beans have only 6 milligrams sodium per 100 grams, celery 80 mg per 100g, kelp (seaweed) 233 mg per 100g. So, at 2 grams (2,000 mg), salicornia would seem to be a record holder for salt content in a vegetable.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

thank you for your reply. do you know of any other vegetables and why they become high in salt content? Mayby it has to do with where theire planted? Mineral rich soil etc?

It probably has to do with the minerals that are in the plants themselves. Different plants produce different minerals sometimes regardless of what type of soil they are planted in. As I understand it these minerals have a similar molecular structure to table salt and are perceived as "salty".

I'm curious ... why do you want to know which vegetables are "salty" ?

It probably has to do with the minerals that are in the plants themselves. Different plants produce different minerals sometimes regardless of what type of soil they are planted in. As I understand it these minerals have a similar molecular structure to table salt and are perceived as "salty".

I'm curious ... why do you want to know which vegetables are "salty" ?

Well, Im a curious person :raz: Theres noone I know who can answer this type of question, so this is the perfectplace to post it. The reason I came to think of it, is that I ate a piece of celleri and thought it tasted salty. So I figured since every other tasterenage out palate can sense is in vegetables, salt is one that is not that common. :smile: