• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roast Pork

Marlene

I made a pork roast a few weeks ago. I used the method for chicken marbella in the Silver Palate (it basically has vinegar, white wine, olive oil, garlic, prunes, and green olives- you can google it). I just cooked it low and long in my oval roaster. It was divine and the sauce is heavenly.

Well, I'll be jumped up and down. I just made a pork loin roast for tonight's dinner. It was pretty dang tasty.

I made little slits all over it that I stuffed with slivers of garlic, then rubbed the roast with cumin, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Let come up to room temp, then did a nice, deep sear for about ten minutes. Threw some white wine and chicken stock (about 1/2c each) into the pan, and finished the thing in the oven for about another 10 minutes.

It was juicy, tender, and had a really nice flavor. When the meat is resting, just heat the pan juices up, finish with a bit of butter, and you've got a pretty nice sauce.

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

Well, I'll be jumped up and down. I just made a pork loin roast for tonight's dinner. It was pretty dang tasty.

I made little slits all over it that I stuffed with slivers of garlic, then rubbed the roast with cumin, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Let come up to room temp, then did a nice, deep sear for about ten minutes. Threw some white wine and chicken stock (about 1/2c each) into the pan, and finished the thing in the oven for about another 10 minutes.

It was juicy, tender, and had a really nice flavor. When the meat is resting, just heat the pan juices up, finish with a bit of butter, and you've got a pretty nice sauce.

There ya go.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I made a pork roast a few weeks ago.  I used the method for chicken marbella in the Silver Palate (it basically has vinegar, white wine, olive oil, garlic, prunes, and green olives- you can google it).  I just cooked it low and long in my oval roaster.  It was divine and the sauce is heavenly.

That chicken marbella is one of those recipes.. My girl cooked it for about 80 people not too long ago.. I just finished off that last of it.. Thats such a comforting recipe..

• 11 months later...

What have you been doing lately with roast pork that is making you happy?

I am in the early planning stages for a upcoming dinner party - and roast pork is the current contender to be the star of the show. I'd love to hear more on this subject - just to get those juices (creative - not pork, at this point) bubbling.

Robin Tyler McWaters

I just roasted a pork loin the other night that was delicious. I put fresh thyme and oregano (about 1/4 cup each)in the small bowl of my food processor. I added about 8 good sized cloves of garlic, the zezt of a large lemon, and the juice from half the lemon along with about a tablespoon of kosher salt and a few grindings of black pepper. I pulsed this a few times to rouch chop and then, with the motor running, I poured EVOO in until I acheived a slightly loose paste. I slathered this all over the loin ( about a 4-5 lb roast) and put in a ziploc bag in the fridge to marinate. I then roasted it at 450F for about 30 minutes and reduced the heat to 350F until the internal temp reached 140. I let it rest, tented with foil, for the 15 minutes it took me to finish up the sieds of brussels sprouts and apples.

It was delicious. I think you could do the same thing with lamb, substituting rosemary for the oregano.

Bon apetit!

~Berta