• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

LD-NL

LD-NL

* I edited due to a typo; someone instead of somehow.

Someone said to never EVER place vegetables, and potatoes, in cold water to boil them, because if you do they oxidise.

I wonder how this happens. And of course: if this is true.

If the vegetables are under water they can't really react to oxygen, unless they somehow* bond with the O atoms in the H2O molecule. But that would be weird.

Can someone explain how this would work, and how cold water would allow them to oxidise much more than in boiling water?

* I edited due to a typo; someone instead of somehow.

LD-NL

LD-NL

Someone said to never EVER place vegetables, and potatoes, in cold water to boil them, because if you do they oxidise.

I wonder how this happens. And of course: if this is true.

If the vegetables are under water they can't really react to oxygen, unless they someone bond with the O atoms in the H2O molecule. But that would be weird.

Can someone explain how this would work, and how cold water would allow them to oxidise much more than in boiling water?