• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pate a choux questions - storage, savory fillings?

StephMac

Hi, all - long time lurker, first-time poster. Gosh, I'm so nervous! :laugh:

I'm working with choux paste for the first time, as I've volunteered to make choux puffs with savory fillings for a friend's baby shower. My first attempt with a basic recipe created lovely puffy puffs, of which my husband ended up eating six after declaring "I don't think I like cream puffs, but I'll try one." I'm taking that as a good sign...

So while I'm happy with the recipe, I have a few questions about what to do post-baking:

-One of my books says to immediately remove the small amount of still-squishy dough from the baked puffs. I did this with a few and didn't notice a big difference between the puffs that were scraped and those that weren't - should I scrape 'em anyway? Will it make a big difference in keeping them crisp?

-What's the best storage method to keep the puffs semi-crisp? I'd like to make them a day ahead if possible (I'm also making the cake for the shower), but the ones I stuck in a tupperware as a test got awfully soft overnight, so clearly that's not right!

-If I freeze baked puffs, how long do I need to rewarm them and at what temperature?

-I'm looking for a second savory filling - curry chicken salad is the first, but I'm drawing blanks on another. Someone else is already making smoked salmon tea sandwiches, so that's out as a filling, and I'd like to do a vegetarian option if possible. Maybe something with spinach, or sundried tomatoes?

Thanks for any and all help. Tonight I'm giving the Pichet Ong choux recipe a twirl - fingers crossed!

-Stephanie

Hi StephMac!! Welcome Welcome!!!

Umm, yes, pull out the squishy stuff because otherwise it will remoisten the outside crust y'know. Pate choux is very user friendly. You can freeze but I can keep mine unfilled at room temp for several days & they are fine. Yeah the whole tupperware thing doesn't really work, like loose foil cover or loosely covered with plastic wrap--so they can get lots of air though--more or less a dust cover on them.

My son makes some kind of killer cheese pate choux amuse bouche at the restaurent where he works. But he gets so dang detailed & complicated it makes me crazy. Hmm, trying to think of other fillings...

On the freezing & re-warming. I just toss mine in a 425 oven for like 8-10 mins or so. But freezing is not really necessary unless you are baking more than 3-4 days in advance. And then for re-warming, brush off any ice crystals that might form and probably a run through the oven wouldn't hurt to recrisp.

Still trying to think of other fillings...btw, are these minis???

Ditto what K8 said. Also, I'm wondering if lining the storage pan with paper towels will help to keep them dry as well by absorbing any excess moisture...

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Thanks! I'll try a "dust cover" of plastic wrap and a paper towel lining with tonight's batch. While I'd love to make the puffs far in advance, upon further consideration my freezer space might end up being tight, so it's good to know they'll be OK for a day or two if I make them early.

The puffs won't be true minis - I'm aiming for 3" or so in diameter, like 2-3 bites each, so they'll have a decent amount of filling.

What about cooked spinach mixed with creme fraiche, with a dab of sundried tomato pesto on top? Hmm, maybe that's too squishy...

onehsancare, I was humming "chouxbie dooby doo" while writing, too! :biggrin:

As for a screen name - yeah, it's a good one, and would be perfect if I had more choux experience... although it would be a great name for a puppy, wouldn't it?

Thanks! I'll try a "dust cover" of plastic wrap and a paper towel lining with tonight's batch. While I'd love to make the puffs far in advance, upon further consideration my freezer space might end up being tight, so it's good to know they'll be OK for a day or two if I make them early.

The puffs won't be true minis - I'm aiming for 3" or so in diameter, like 2-3 bites each, so they'll have a decent amount of filling.

What about cooked spinach mixed with creme fraiche, with a dab of sundried tomato pesto on top? Hmm, maybe that's too squishy...

Now I've got choubie dooby doo stuck in my head toooooo....

On the minis -- may I say that 3" across seems awfully big to me. If you want it to be only 2 or 3 bites, I would go for something about 1 1/2 to 2" in diameter.

As for a savory filling, I've nothing to add except that spinach sounds good. My name isn't SweetSide for nuthin -- don't cook savory at all :rolleyes:

Welcome aboard!

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

I used to make this filling for small cream puffs:

Cream together:

1 1/2 cups cream cheese

3 tbsp. chopped chives

1 tbsp chopped parsley

1 tsp dijon mustard

1/2 tsp salt

Stir in

1/2 cup coarsely chopped pistachios.

It was really good. If I were making it now, I think I'd try lightening it up a bit with some sour cream or yogurt.

Savory fillings for cream puffs are fun. I usually use a cream cheese as a base and go from there. How about blue cheese with roasted red pepper? Or roasted garlic with sundried tomatoes. You already mentioned smoked salmon, how about smoked tomato with chives? Or basil and parmesan with pinenut garnish... Porcini mushroom with kalamata olives....bacon and white cheddar with walnuts....need I go on?

The cream cheese acts as a great base for all of these. I usually puree in the food processor and pipe out with my pastry bag, garnish with anything too chunky to pipe and then keep your husband out of them, if you can!

Question: what's the best way to pipe very large eclairs? Can you buy piping tips that are large enough, like 1-2"? Right now I just cut the end off of a disposable pastry bag and pipe without a tip (because my largest tip is 1/2"), but I'm wondering if there is a better way.

StephMac:

One of my books says to immediately remove the small amount of still-squishy dough from the baked puffs. I did this with a few and didn't notice a big difference between the puffs that were scraped and those that weren't - should I scrape 'em anyway? Will it make a big difference in keeping them crisp?

Personally, I don't bother. The Ong recipe that a lot of us are using bake up very hollow, and if you let them dry in the oven a good bit, there really isn't any squishy stuff to remove.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Savory fillings for cream puffs are fun.  I usually use a cream cheese as a base and go from there.  How about blue cheese with roasted red pepper? Or roasted garlic with sundried tomatoes.  You already mentioned smoked salmon, how about smoked tomato with chives? Or basil and parmesan with pinenut garnish... Porcini mushroom with kalamata olives....bacon and white cheddar with walnuts....need I go on?

The cream cheese acts as a great base for all of these. I usually puree in the food processor and pipe out with my pastry bag, garnish with anything too chunky to pipe and then keep your husband out of them, if you can!

Along those lines, my friend makes a dip by combing Harry and David's Pepper & Onion Relish with cream cheese. I bet that would make a fine filling too.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Mmmm, roasted peppers sound good.... all the combinations sound good! I'll give a cream cheese base a try, maybe whip in a little cream to lighten it up a smidge. Thanks for the suggestions!

I think I'll be eating choux puffs for dinner all week... oh, darn! :raz:

Mmmm, roasted peppers sound good.... all the combinations sound good! I'll give a cream cheese base a try, maybe whip in a little cream to lighten it up a smidge. Thanks for the suggestions!

I think I'll be eating choux puffs for dinner all week... oh, darn!  :raz:

Salmon mousse in mini-puffs is yummers. You can top with salmon roe and a sprig of fresh dill if you feel like getting fancy. :wink:

Question: what's the best way to pipe very large eclairs? Can you buy piping tips that are large enough, like 1-2"? Right now I just cut the end off of a disposable pastry bag and pipe without a tip (because my largest tip is 1/2"), but I'm wondering if there is a better way.

Hey Patrick,

The ultimate Baker calls them bismark tubes clickety. Then this site calls them round filling tip--scoll down it's the last one see how slender & long it is?

For a mombo eclair, I would poke a hole in each end & fill from the middle & back out on each side. You could poke one hole more toward the top on the end so it will be easier to cover over it with chocolate icing.

One of the crazy people I used to work for sliced them open like a hot dog bun :rolleyes:

Well hmm, now that I re-read this I'm wondering if you mean pipe out the pate choux or pipe them full of pastry cream??? But anyway--yes, just cut a bigger hole in the bag to pipe out the batter for large eclairs. But there are huge, huger & hugest tips too. Butcha gotta get a bigger bag then too.

If you have a half inch tip just squeeze harder, apply more pressure when you pipe--that will make bigger eclairs.

:smile:

edited to say: you can double back on yourself piping too--I made some round cream puffs that had a snail like quality because I piped them out like a concentric circle. This is a ginormous tip.

Edited by K8memphis (log)

Hey Patrick,

The ultimate Baker calls them bismark tubes clickety. Then this site calls them round filling tip--scoll down it's the last one see how slender & long it is?

For a mombo eclair, I would poke a hole in each end & fill from the middle & back out on each side. You could poke one hole more toward the top on the end so it will be easier to cover over it with chocolate icing.

One of the crazy people I used to work for sliced them open like a hot dog bun  :rolleyes:

Well hmm, now that I re-read this I'm wondering if you mean pipe out the pate choux or pipe them full of pastry cream??? But anyway--yes, just cut a bigger hole in the bag to pipe out the batter for large eclairs. But there are huge, huger & hugest tips too. Butcha gotta get a bigger bag then too.

If you have a half inch tip just squeeze harder, apply more pressure when you pipe--that will make bigger eclairs.

edited to say: you can double back on yourself piping too--I made some round cream puffs that had a snail like quality because I piped them out like a concentric circle. This is a ginormous tip.

K8: That long conical tip you linked to ..... that's for filling choux or eclairs. You actually insert the tip into the pastry to fill them. The rest..... not what Patrick was looking for. Not big enough.

Patrick: I have only once seen a tip over 1" diameter at the head.... and it was plastic. And it was on TV. And damn! if I haven't been able to locate the source, either. I've previously done web searches for exactly what you're looking for and never found them.... I expect they must exist but no luck so far. Your way (and subsequently my way) of piping with the cut bags is more tidy and clean in the long run anyways.

...But do let me know if you find them..... :rolleyes:

Edited to add: That last one K8 linked to by wilton, # 789....I have it and it's about 1 1/4 inches across but unfortunately they don't make a plain round that big..... I checked.... :smile:

Edited by Sugarella (log)

Thanks for the links, K8. I was actually referring to the choux itself, so that giant basketweave tip might be worth trying out. I didn't think of it before, but maybe I could also try using the plastic tip holder --without a tip in it-- to pipe out larger cylinders.

Patrick:  I have only once seen a tip over 1" diameter at the head.... and it was plastic. And it was on TV. And damn! if I haven't been able to locate the source, either. I've previously done web searches for exactly what you're looking for and never found them.... I expect they must exist but no luck so far. Your way (and subsequently my way) of piping with the cut bags is more tidy and clean in the long run anyways.     

...But do let me know if you find them.....    :rolleyes:

I have a feeling that I should go and browse some hardware stores. I'm sure there has to be some kind of nozzle or tube fitting or something that fits the bill.

Thanks for the links, K8. I was actually referring to the choux itself, so that giant basketweave tip might be worth trying out. I didn't think of it before, but maybe I could also try using the plastic tip holder --without a tip in it-- to pipe out larger cylinders.

That's how we did it at work -- just used the tip coupler for the big tips. The opening is just shy of 1". Provides a cleaner break when ending the eclair than just using a bag alone.

As for the bismark tubes, I have two and have vowed not to use them again unless I get very strong hands. I like to fill the eclairs with a fairly thick pastry cream, and the tube hole is small and I end up getting wicked hand cramps or eclairs not filled enough.

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

One of the crazy people I used to work for sliced them open like a hot dog bun  :rolleyes:

K8, believe it or not, that's what Baking Illustrated instructs you to do. Made my first eclair from their books. Other than the odd look to it, the recipe was good.

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

K8, believe it or not, that's what Baking Illustrated instructs you to do. Made my first eclair from their books. Other than the odd look to it, the recipe was good.

Which way, poke it with a tube & fill it or slice it open like a hot dog bun?

Patrick:   I have only once seen a tip over 1" diameter at the head.... and it was plastic. And it was on TV. And damn! if I haven't been able to locate the source, either. I've previously done web searches for exactly what you're looking for and never found them.... I expect they must exist but no luck so far. Your way (and subsequently my way) of piping with the cut bags is more tidy and clean in the long run anyways.     

I have a feeling that I should go and browse some hardware stores. I'm sure there has to be some kind of nozzle or tube fitting or something that fits the bill.

Umm, those cake icer tips are one and three quarter inches wide. You can manipulate it to make it round. One half would be basketweave and one half would be smooth--that would make a jive eclair. Try one of those.

Where's the I'm fainting at the thought of Patrick using plumbing fixtures to pipe eclairs smilie face?? :laugh:

Which way, poke it with a tube & fill it or slice it open like a hot dog bun?

Sorry, I didn't edit to make it clear... the slice it open like a bun :rolleyes: part.

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

... the slice it open like a bun  :rolleyes:  part.

Oh wow, well it's easier.

Patrick, I got it. I mean I use parchment to make my bags so I always get the size I want. Get sheet pan size parchment and make a cone and cut off a big tip, voila. Easy peasy. duh on me :rolleyes:

Patrick:  I have only once seen a tip over 1" diameter at the head.... and it was plastic. And it was on TV. And damn! if I haven't been able to locate the source, either. I've previously done web searches for exactly what you're looking for and never found them.... I expect they must exist but no luck so far. Your way (and subsequently my way) of piping with the cut bags is more tidy and clean in the long run anyways.     

One other thing to consider is buying a large plastic tip (maybe like these), and cutting it to make the opening even larger. I did that and it worked pretty well.