• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

cakedecorator1968

Spraying Chocolate: Equipment, Materials, and Techniques

361 posts in this topic

Thanks kerry, The guy from the site didn't think the psi was enough for a spray gun and pointed at more expensive models.

I take it the only other question I have is the type of gun to run with this unit.

Many thanks

16 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I'm a fan of the Paasche external mix brushes with the H - 5 sized needle 

sorry I meant gun.

will have a look at those airpens also.

Posted (edited)

16 minutes ago, leopardots said:

sorry I meant gun.

will have a look at those airpens also.

Ah - then someone else might have to weigh in - I was thinking airbrush - @Chocolot will know - she has a few of the guns as well as the Fuji.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

I will tell you my experiences. When I first started, I was advised to go with a Home Depot oilless compressor, which I did. Cheap and LOUD. I have to use ear protectors. I put water filters on it and various hoses and adapters. The pressure is adjustable. I always keep it around 20-25 psi. All connections are quick release. I have a big hose and an air brush hose. I have used various airbrushes trying to find the "one". Badger, Grix, Harbor Freight. Some were gravity and some were syphon. Some days, I liked them, most days, not. They clog easily. The syphon brushes need more pressure to operate than the gravity. I bought a small detail spray gun. It fit my hand, and did a nice job. Gravity feed. It worked great until I took it apart to clean and lost the spring. You would think that is easy to replace. NOT! I tried various ones and finally retired that gun. Kerry introduced me to the Fuji system. A bit pricey, I think around $600?. It is quiet, like a vacuum cleaner is quiet. I really like this system. You can turn down the air and get great splatter. The gun I originally got was large for my hand, but I got along ok. I have since purchased a smaller gun for it. I keep the guns in the dehydrator so they start out warm.  Some days I hate all sprayers:). I'm sure it is operator error. Melissa Coppel told me that she just goes to Home Depot and buys an HVLP gun. I tried that, in the small and regular sizes, but it puts out way too much CB. With all of this said, when I spray, I am in production mode, not creative mode. I need a lot of molds sprayed in a short amount of time. If I were only doing a few molds, probably an airbrush would be great. I try to keep overspray at a minimum, but not always successful. After all of this, my Fuji is my choice. 

2 people like this

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

Thank you for your reply. weighing up my options

@Chocolot, what Fuji model (the one you like) did you end up with? This is somewhat off this topic, but I'm hoping this subject can be discussed at the upcoming eGullet workshop in Las Vegas.

Jim - Fuji put together a 'chocolate package' at my request - it has a 'quiet' turbine - relative term - and T-75 gravity feed with the smaller cup and the 0.8 needle.

At the workshop there will be a draw between the interested folks to buy the package at a greatly reduced price - about 65 percent off I believe.

That is great news, Kerry. Any chance we will see one in operation? I may be mistaken, but I have gathered from comments here and there that you don't use the Fuji that much. On The Chocolate Life someone recommended against it for fairly small chocolate operations, but with the small Fuji cup, I don't see much difference in setup between it and a regular airbrush, and it appears to do so much more.

2 hours ago, Jim D. said:

That is great news, Kerry. Any chance we will see one in operation? I may be mistaken, but I have gathered from comments here and there that you don't use the Fuji that much. On The Chocolate Life someone recommended against it for fairly small chocolate operations, but with the small Fuji cup, I don't see much difference in setup between it and a regular airbrush, and it appears to do so much more.

Don't know - I know for sure I don't have room in my luggage for mine! Chocolot might be prepared to bring hers. 

I tend to do a lot of my chocolate work in the evenings at home - since I have a handicapped rug rat that is noise sensitive and a hubby who isn't a big fan of noise either - I'm more inclined to use the quieter airbrush here. I share the Fuji turbine with my hubby who has his own hoses and guns for regular paint. When I need a crap load of stuff done fast - I'll often head into @Alleguede's shop in Toronto and use his Fuji. That is also useful when I want to use the Selmis to fill the molds. Most of the time I don't really need to produce that much stuff at once. 

Even in a fairly small operation the time savings in painting your molds with the Fuji would allow it to pay for itself pretty quickly.  I was down in the lab this evening preparing my frogs and mice for the upcoming PMCA using the Paasche - took a couple of hours to paint a dozen molds. I could have done it in less than 30 minutes with the Fuji. I splatter red, yellow, then black - then spray jade green jewel tone, then matte light green behind. 

• Similar Content

• By steveM
      I just started a new Craft Chocolate Company and am looking for a source for powdered whole milk on a small scale (3-5kg).  Any suggestions?

Steve
    • By pastrygirl
      Some chocolate makers have incredibly intricate chocolate molds that boggle my mind.  How do they clean them?  Or do they not clean/polish them?  Or have an army of interns?  Or just do it perfectly every time and polishing molds is for suckers anyway?

They are beautiful, but seem so very impractical.  What am I missing?

The Soma is not bad, mostly thin lines, but the Askinosie ...

• By Lam
      So I've been looking for the ultimate matcha brownies (technically blondies but it just doesn't have the same ring to it). I've made chewy and fudgy regular brownies, but I find white chocolate based blondies to be much trickier. I have made a few matcha brownie recipes in the past, but they all came out sad and cakey. So I have taken it upon myself to come up with my own recipe. My matcha brownies came out very moist and "fudgy" but not chewy. I'm thinking next time I should try using vegetable oil instead of butter and only dark brown sugar. 

• By pastrygirl
      OK, I know this is sweating the small stuff, but I'm wondering what you see ...

Is this rabbit

https://www.dr.ca/rabbit-mold-7-5-inches.html

holding an egg, or is the oval a fuzzy underbelly?

• By Choky
      At least in Europe comercial chocolate tablets are getting thinner. Usually 6mm thick and of course bigger in area.

But I don't manage to find that kind of molds at manufacturer's sites (80 or 100g). Or at least choice is very limited.

Why? Maybe too thin for manual unmolding? Or they just use bigger molds and fill partially? 

Thanks!