• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Little Taste of Athens

titmfatied

A Little Taste of Athens

51 Main St

Woodbridge, NJ 070985

732-602-0053

They opened two weeks ago. I went there for Lunch on Friday. I had a Lamb Gyro which was excellent, some soup that I forgot the name of but consisted of chicken, orzo, lemon and if I'm remembering correctly, garlic. It was also very good. For dessert I had a giant shredded wheat looking thing that was doused with a sweet syrup and stuffed with some walnuts and cinnamon. I think it was called Kataifi? Loved it and ate it a little bit at a time the rest of the weekend. They have a dessert case with several different items.

The place is nice inside and the people working there were warm and kind. They were helpful explaining what things were. Buisness seemed to be pretty brisk and several of the customers looked Greek to me. The food was wonderful and I'm sure I'll be back again soon to work my way through the menu. I was having bad day and their service and food really turned my day around for the better.

Edited by titmfatied (log)

I'm not sure if it's a BYO. I will be sure to ask when I'm there next (should be soon).

I don't quite recall what was there before. It's located on the opposite side of the train tracks from Mei Thai. It's on the corner of Main and Fulton, which would be the last right you could make before the tracks if you were coming from Amboy Ave (RT35)

Edited by titmfatied (log)

Is there a sit-down area? or is it take-out?

"There are people who strictly deprive themselves of each and every eatable, drinkable, and smokable which has in any way acquired a shady reputation. They pay this price for health. And health is all they get for it. How strange it is. It is like paying out your whole fortune for a cow that has gone dry." - Mark Twain

"Please pass the bacon." - Me

Thanks for posting about this - Mie Thai and Bev's Irie Kitchen are regular lunch spots for me. I saw this place opening up a few weeks ago, and have been meaning to pay it a visit.

Rosie - a quick search on the web shows that 51 Main St was previously a Sushi place, and a Nail Salon!

Is there a sit-down area? or is it take-out?

The restaurant seats approximately 40 people with plenty of space around each table. I'm 99% sure they don't serve alcohol. The room is very nicely decorated in blue with white trim and it gives it a light airy feeling. I stopped in yesterday and asked if they'd mind if I took some pictures of the inside. The owner wasn't there at the time and they asked if I'd mind coming back another time and checking with him first. I did snap a quick one of the outside with my cameraphone. I will go again on Monday to see if the owner is there.

gallery_23805_2672_119945.jpg

• 4 months later...

I apologize for taking so long to get back here to take pictures. Stopped in for lunch the other day and snapped a few.

gallery_23805_3295_494391.jpg

gallery_23805_3295_619412.jpg

gallery_23805_3295_284730.jpg

gallery_23805_3295_146769.jpg

gallery_23805_3295_159184.jpg

gallery_23805_3295_790631.jpg

Now for some food...I had lemon roasted potatos and the exact type of sandwich I had is beyond me right now I'm not certain whether it was lamb or pork.

gallery_23805_3295_70791.jpg

gallery_23805_3295_1196.jpg

gallery_23805_3295_21645.jpg

gallery_23805_3295_33646.jpg

I :wub: hotsauce.

gallery_23805_3295_29907.jpg

sending it home

gallery_23805_3295_45962.jpg

Dummy me should've taken some pictures of the pastry case. Next time I'm in I'll be sure to do it. Hopefully it's before Christmas. :wacko: