• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Funny Thing Happened

K8memphis

The tearoom was woefully painfully under code. Me, having watched the location for years, I just never considered the codes because of the other people that had been in business there. I mean I know the codes, but--how did they get by???????

So when the fire marshall showed up & said he was going to begin proceedings & press charges because the improvements hadn't been done since his August 05 visit...then because I was new he was giving me till the end of March..and the owners went into serious denial, hopeless obtuseness, blah blah blah

So don't stop by for tea, I'm not there anymore. :rolleyes:

:wacko: Shit, I hate to learn things the hard way, but

this's gotta rank me as summa cum by now :laugh:

Edited by K8memphis (log)

I'm really sorry to hear that. :sad: But you know, things happen for a reason; consider it a speed bump in your journey. There were problems at that location from day one. You'll find a better location with fewer hassles and be wiser for this experience. Just think of how the tearoom concept evolved since discussing it here. You are many steps ahead of where you were when your adventure began. And you actually know something about tea now! :wink: Keep us posted. :smile:

Ilene

I'm so sorry this happened. I hope this will just be part of your education in how to open a tearoom!

I had a similar thing happen to me. I took over (should say, reopened) a small cafe, but in my own style. The opportunity of a lifetime, I thought. I only had to put in about $2000 for more cooking utensils, beginning inventory and supplies. Things were going well, but I was getting overwhelmed. I could only afford one employee. Though business was picking up and customers were very happy with the cafe, I didn't have ANY budget to hire more employees, but I needed to increase my hours. I couldn't do it. (I have two young children also.) I finally, after 2 months, closed the doors. I was ill prepared from the beginning. I should have had a few months operating expenses and a partner or at least very dependable and skilled employee in tow before opening. Lesson learned. I'm now working on my business plan and learning and organizing and preparing so that once my youngest is in school in another year and a half, I can do it again. This time with a few lessons learned under my belt.

Hopefully it will all work out for you!

I'm really sorry to hear about this too! Like the others said, you know tons more now than you even did a month ago so your next venture should be even better. Here's hoping for a new and even better location than you had.

...there always seems to be a reason why things happen. Best wishes!

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I'm very sorry to hear this. But if you were given to the end of March, why pack up and leave today? The charges wouldn't be against you, they'd be for the landlord.

And obviously the owners knew about this problem all along and rented to you anyways.... do you have a lease? Are you out any extra money?

How bad of a problem is it with the fire codes? Is it something easily fixable, or something that wouldn't cost too much? If it's doable for a reasonable sum, could you bring the buildng up to code yourself and bill the landlord? (ie: take it off the rent)

I hate to see you give up so quickly on this...I'd explore every option myself. But if it's very very bad then, yes, you're best to get out now.

Regardless, chin up. It really is true that everything happens for a reason. Sometimes it's just hard to find that reason when you're knee-deep in shit. :sad:

Thank you, SweetSide, Trishiad, Beanie, shaloop, CanadianBakin', Patrick S, RuthWells, Sugarella,

I'm very sorry to hear this. But if you were given to the end of March, why pack up and leave today? The charges wouldn't be against you, they'd be for the landlord.

Thanks Guys, Everyone

This is the Cliff Notes version, there was lots more 'stuff'.

Deal breaker status was firmly soundly reached.

So, tally ho, caveat emptor & all that.