• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

caramelized rice crispies

xdrixn

I've caramelized nuts more times than I can count but with the rice krispies I don't want the sugar caramelized nor do I want it too sweet so I'm doing 1/2 sugar 1/2 glucose. When trying to incorporate the rice krispies and almonds I got globs of sugar coated with rice instead of vice versa. I have also tried adding some butter to increase the viscosity, and baking soda to no avail. Normally when I do nuts, just nuts I do water with sugar and keep stirring until the sugar crystalizes, breaks down and caramelizes which didn't work either. any ideas?

www.adrianvasquez.net

if you want no color, the best way is to use isomalt, it is the only sugar i have used consistently for isomalt that doesnt color at 160C

caramelizing rice krispies is the same as anyother praline

you may have to adjust your percentage of sugar by weight to make up for the fact that rice krispies have an exceptionally large ratio of surface area to mass

hope this is helpful

I don't want the mouthfeel of isomalt and I have increased and decreased the sugar/s. The problem is the lack of body and weight of the rice.

Edited by xdrixn (log)

www.adrianvasquez.net

I can't help from experience but I'm sure "Chocolate Desserts by PH" has a recipe for caramelized rice krispies that might give you some ideas. Unfortunately I don't have the book right now but maybe someone else can pipe up with the details if you don't have it.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

PH's recipe caramelizes the sugar.........so I don't think it will help.

Can you do them like sugared nuts? First example that quickly comes to my mind is a recipe for sugared almonds by Martha Stewart. Basicly you make a slurry with sugar and h2o, toss your product in it, and bake. You pull it out of the oven before sugar cooks to dark caramel.

From: The Best Of Martha Stewart Living Desserts. Our Favorite Recipes for Every Season and Every Reason. Page 128 recipe # 68 Almond-Crunch Cake.

Almond Crunch:

1 c. sliced almonds (just switch in any other item, like your rise krispies)

6 tbsp. sugar

2 tbsp. h2o

Bake at 325F on a silpat.

This type of recipe is the only thing I can think of that would give you the sugar crunch with-out the texture amd taste of a caramel. Theres other similar ones I've used to bake seasoned nuts. I think I used one that's got egg whites, sugar and cinnamon and it results in the same crunchy texture.

that might work and it was my next step...when I get more rice krispies in tomorrow. I was also thinking about egg whites.. Have a ratio? I'm becoming flexible on the caramel for crunch and structual purposes.

thanks

ps have the ph boks, thanks

www.adrianvasquez.net

I don't have the egg white version near me, will post when I locate it.

I was reading the newest issue of P A & D last night........with the top 10 American PC........and noticed a couple people used caramelized rice crispies in their desserts. (with-out running down stairs and grabing my magazine) I forget who it was, they were the second pc to use them in the issue front to back............anyway they added some salt to the caramelized rice crispies and I thought that was something I MUST TRY.

When I made Herme' caramelized version I thought it was way too sweet. So next time I'm going to grab that recipe and give it a try.

the ph recipe works great. I haven't looked at the book in a while. As for the almonds. I think Iwas just trying to be too efficient. They have to be done seperately.

www.adrianvasquez.net

the ph recipe works great.  I haven't looked at the book in a while.  As for the almonds.  I think I was just trying to be too efficient.  They have to be done separately.

Maybe the sugar temp dropped too low with everything in the pan.

The PH recipe should work, just take em off the fire before they caramelize, just like doing any other candied nut.

Good luck.

2317/5000

• 7 months later...

Also, FWIW, I find that it works better to heat the sugar to ~245F, add the rice rispies, and just keep cooking (stirring constantly) til you get the caramelization you want -- rather than adding the crispies to the sugar, coating them, removing them, and then caramelizing the crispies in batches. If you do the latter method, you often end up with chunks of rice crispies that are stuck together and do not get caramelized.

Edited by Patrick S (log)

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Patrick - another question - how long would you say it takes to get the proper caramelization using your method?

It depends on how hot your burner is, but its not long at all -- 2-4 minutes maybe. By the time they are done, most of the crispies will be browned, the sugar will leave amber streaks on the bottom of the pan as you stir, and you'll probably get just a little smoke. Have your parchment ready, because once they're done, you need to get them out of the pan kinda quickly.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

what is this recipe you speak of, it sounds interesting and tasty! any pics>?

I am making Pierre Herme's caramelized rice crispies for a dinner tomorrow night. Can I make them tonight and put them in a tupperware, or do they need to be made the day of? Thanks in advance!

what is this recipe you speak of, it sounds interesting and tasty! any pics>?
I am making Pierre Herme's caramelized rice crispies for a dinner tomorrow night. Can I make them tonight and put them in a tupperware, or do they need to be made the day of? Thanks in advance!

Take 1/2C sugar, add a couple Tb of water, cook to 245F, add 2C rice crispies, keep stirring and cooking til the sugar caramelizes, scoop out quickly onto parchments. They are very crispy and caramel-ly. They make a good garnish. You can see what they look like here.

Patrick, the description of your cake sounds wonderful-so many textures/ flavours. I wish we could have seen a dissection of it! That crispy garnish looks yummy! I'm going to try this recipe. :biggrin: