• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Desperate Brunch Advice for this Sunday

iharrison

I know there have been some brunch discussions here before but I need a place for this Sunday that can accomodate 9 people with relative ease, with a young baby. Yikes.

Everybody here came through big time when this Montrealer was in need of Philadelphia restaurant advice ... now I need a great brunch place!

There are too many for me to choose from ... El Vez, Standard Tap (would prefer not, because I want to eat dinner there Sunday night), Carman's Country Kitchen (looks small), La Croix (looks expensive), Jones, Rx ... what do you all think?

El Vez: I don't think I knew they did sunday brunch, but if so they could probably handle that size party if you reserved, like... now!

Standard Tap: I've actually done brunch with 9 people down there, and we just walked in, but I feel like we got incredibly lucky. It's often a struggle to find a table for two... I don't think they take reservations. Good brunch though.

Carman's Country Kitchen: it's indeed very small, so you'd probably have to split up, and just out of practicality, you aren't going to get all 9 plates at the same time, it's just Carman cooking. Great food, but hard to negotiate as a large crowd. If they're not ready for you, there's no where to wait, except out on the sidewalk, etc... If you were thinking of going you MUST call that morning (not before) and reserve a space 215-339-9613. You could always call on thurs or friday and just see if she thought it was a good idea.

La Croix: Indeed very expensive. Probably one of the most luxurious brunches you'll encounter, but you pay for that. I think it's $65 per person for the whole deal, but no drinks... some friends went this past weekend and spent $100 each.

Jones: it's pretty basic, but they could handle your group, it's pretty fun and not crazy expensive (unless you order lots of drinks). Nothing amazing, but I've had brunch there and liked it.

Rx: I had a very nice brunch there not long ago, it's also small-ish, not as small as Carman's but it can be crowded on the weekends. But you could probably make a reservation. They have a pretty broad menu, so this is a strong contender.

Does geography make any difference? Trying to coordinate the movements of 9 people can be a challenge in and of itself, so is there a part of town that's easier to deal with?

Have you thought about Dim Sum? 9 people is easy almost anywhere...

Edited by philadining (log)

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Thanks for the reply ...

I did think of dim sum but after going through the dim sum thread here, I was not too encouraged by the selection and potential quality. But if you have suggestions, lay them on me!

Area is not a problem, we have cars.

What about Fork? Is it baby friendly? Is El Vez? Sabrina's Cafe looks quite good ... what are your thoughts, if any?

La Croix: Indeed very expensive. Probably one of the most luxurious brunches you'll encounter, but you pay for that. I think it's $65 per person for the whole deal, but no drinks... some friends went this past weekend and spent $100 each.

And to think we paid $100 for a Studio Kitchen 6 course extavaganza which even included brunch food for one of the courses!

El Vez: I don't think I knew they did sunday brunch, but if so they could probably handle that size party if you reserved, like... now!

Jones: it's pretty basic, but they could handle your group, it's pretty fun and not crazy expensive (unless you order lots of drinks). Nothing amazing, but I've had brunch there and liked it.

Never thought about Sunday brunch at El Vez, but I suspect it wouldn't be that crowded but perhaps I'm wrong.

I would expect Jones brunch to be crazy busy though, perhaps I'm wrong as well.

Standard Tap: I've actually done brunch with 9 people down there, and we just walked in, but I feel like we got incredibly lucky. It's often a struggle to find a table for two...  I don't think they take reservations. Good brunch though.

Carman's Country Kitchen: it's indeed very small, so you'd probably have to split up, and just out of practicality, you aren't going to get all 9 plates at the same time, it's just Carman cooking. Great food, but hard to negotiate as a large crowd. If they're not ready for you, there's no where to wait, except out on the sidewalk, etc...  If you were thinking of going you MUST call that morning (not before) and reserve a space 215-339-9613. You could always call on thurs or friday and just see if she thought it was a good idea.

Rx: I had a very nice brunch there not long ago, it's also small-ish, not as small as Carman's but it can be crowded on the weekends. But you could probably make a reservation.  They have a pretty broad menu, so this is a strong contender. 

Ditto to all.

Let me add to the Carman's info. Carman's has enough seating for about 15 people inside, I'd estimate. Another 4-6 in the truck possibly, but that's only if the weather is right. Therefore, I'd say it's totally the wrong place for 9 people.

Please correct my numbers if anyone wants.

What about a Mexican brunch on Washington Ave?

I did like La Lupe the last time I was there many blue moons ago, but from the accounts of many here, it's not the same place.

Plaza Garibaldi is open at that time so you're good if the idea does appeal.

Right down the street, there's Porky and Porkie's, which a few of us did for a

?Saturday? DIY Koreanish barbeque.

Dimsum, if you go to Toronto often enough, then don't bother with it.

Toronto's should be better.

If you don't, Ocean Harbor (if you don't mind the wait) and Golden Phoenix (if you do) are your best bets.

Lakeside Chinese Deli remains a dark horse and well-kept secret.

But you could always do Vietnamese with the pho. Xe Lua'd be my pick there.

Is there strong Vietnamese food in Montreal?

Edited by herbacidal (log)

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

You could try the Valley Green Inn. I would recommend calling and making a reservation It is right in the middle of one of the nicest parts of Fairmount park and they do standard brunch fare.

Does anyone know if the Mosholu still does brunch? This would be fun because it is on a

beautifully restored old ship in the Delaware river.

Jacks Firehouse does brunch. This is also a fun spot in a restored old firehouse.

it's still $50.

plus $11 cocktails and wines it always adds up to more, and if you order the duck/foie gras it's $65, but the regular brunch with the hot buffet is $50.

(i got a menu copy when i was there)

Hi,

Normally, we don't take brunch reservations, but...

Since you're posting here and you have a small child, if you would like to have brunch at Rx, pm me and I'll make sure to have a table for your party. As the father of a two-year-old and a three-year-old, I know how how important it is to not only have a reservation, but to be eating in a place where they understand the importance of getting the kids' food out in a timely manner.

Can't vouch for any of the other places - don't get out too much - but I have heard great things about the Tap's brunch. Fairly easy parking as well.

owner, Rx

Ahhh, jas, thanks for the reality check, I don't know if the price was just getting higher every time it got repeated, or if the all-in with extras was being used as a baseline. In any case friends that went last weekend ended up spending about $100 per person, including everything, tax, tip, drinks, who knows maybe some foie? I'll try to get details, I doubt they went nuts on the booze.

Anyway, back to the original predicament: what's this crowd of 9 like? Will they want to do a fancy brunch, or is more down-home OK? Are they really picky eaters (because for instance, Carman only has a few things to choose from, and you'll be getting those the way she makes them. Which, by the way, is the right way, but folks that like to change every little thing about what they order could get slapped with a hot spatula.)

And what do you mean by kid-friendly? Is it a really little baby who's likely to be sleeping? Just about anywhere will be fairly mellow at sunday brunch, but if the child is likely to be fussy or loud, or older and wanting to run around, many of these spots would be out...

I see parents with kids in North 3rd with some regularity, they too have a good brunch, it's not too different a vibe from Standard Tap, and only a couple blocks away. It too can be crowded, but if you go early, you can beat the hung-over hipsters in. Good basic gastropub food, funky bohemian arty vibe.

norththird.com

I don't see any indication on their website that ElVez does brunch, so I wouldn't plan on that. Jones would be fine with a kid of any age. Jones would probably be fun, but it's only a block or so from Independence Hall and all that touristy stuff, so it can get busy. Again, call ahead... 215-223-5663. They say they don't take reservations, but they might be able to tell you somethng about your chances...

I think Rx would be good, it's certainly a bit mellower. Call them and see if you can get a table for 9 (unless Greg chimes in first!) 215-222-9590. It's out in West Philly, near the University of Pennsylvania.

I think all of the South Philly Places: Carman's, Morning Glory and Sabrina's are all a bit small and cramped for your group. And Herb's right that our Dim Sum isn't in a league with Toronto, if you get there much, but it's fun and usually easy to do with a large group.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Amazing. Thank you everyone for your help.

To answer some of your questions ... the baby is 7 months old and relatively well-behaved, I have had great dim sum in Toronto (and Montreal), the Vietnamese food in Montreal is quite decent and our group is not too finicky about what they eat. So with all that in mind, the suggestions here are all great.

Rx looks real strong right now as a contender. So if anyone has any other choice spots, speak now or forever hold your peace ...

I just hope we won't be too hung over from our night at Amada Saturday to enjoy brunch.

Oh and the El Vez brunch controversy stems from this webpage:

http://cityguide.aol.com/philadelphia/dini...?sbid=118129748

If you scroll down, it contains the info Sun. Brunch 10:30AM-3PM. Sounds like a better lunch or dinner bet anyway.

Edited by iharrison (log)

I see parents with kids in North 3rd with some regularity, they too have a good brunch, it's not too different a vibe from Standard Tap, and only a couple blocks away. It too can be crowded, but if you go early, you can beat the hung-over hipsters in. Good basic gastropub food, funky bohemian arty vibe.

norththird.com

after having returned there for the first time in a couple of years on tuesday, i can second this suggestion. nice place, good food, reasonable prices. it's pretty big, too, so a crowd of nine wouldn't be too much trouble i bet. one warning: if they have the liver mousse on the menu, get it to share. for only $8 you get two inch-thick slabs. it's damn good, but that's a ton of liver mousse...

Seconding that the South Philly places are not a good fit. Carman's is way too small, and Morning Glory and Sabrina's don't do reservations. Sabrina's would be big enough, but you're going to wait on the sidewalk for an hour with a party of nine. For Mexican, I love La Lupe's huevos, but the service is going to be too slow. Garibaldi would be a better bet, but as with any of the Mexican places, the breakfast selection is limited to two or three egg dishes.

Standard Tap, also hard to get a table and a little too smoky for the baby, probably. N. 3rd would be a better bet, but do they do reservations?

I'm not a big fan of Jones, but even I must admit they handle brunch well. I'd also recommend Fork -- the service is always terrific and they do a classy brunch. (Though really, if I were you I'd probably take Greg up on his offer and go to Rx, since he offered so nicely to accomodate your family. Can't beat having an in with the owner!)

I'd go with RX -- did you know they have a parking lot? (It's on the same block as the restaurant but a little closer to 44th than 45th). Should simplify the logistics a bit.

Plus, their brunch is always good, even when it's something as basic as bacon and eggs. Great coffee, too, and it's BYO if you feel like making mimosas.