• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Montreal Caterers

onionbreath

That's the challenge. It's easy to find plenty of good options in this city for $40+ a head, but not everyone can afford this. There are also those who do not care that much about food in general and don't see the value in spending on food or fine dining.

Montreal catering companies are an enigma to me. I know that they exist, yet you never hear anything ( positive OR negative) about them. I haven't lived in the city long enough to know anyone who runs one, and I haven't attended enough company christmas dinners or weddings to form any opinions of my own..

I'm curious, is Montreal just as strong in this area as it is in fine dining establishments? If so, what are some forefront names? Is there a lot of diversity or is everyone serving smoked salmon mousse profiteroles?

Lesley, you must have some opinions on this...

Just wondering-

• 1 year later...

The Gazette named the top 10 caterers in Montreal roughly a year ago. Does anyone remember this list???

A friend of mine is getting married soon and is looking to me to point her in the right direction as far as a caterer, but there's so little info out there about who's good, who's hot, etc!!

Any help would be appreciated! Is Area still doing events? I know De Vienne is one of the best, but the wedding is for 400 plus people, I don't think they would do it. And forget Denise.

Any feedback on Agnus Dei? Avocado??

Thanks all,

Fireweed.

Fireweed, I wrote that story. PM me and I'll send you a copy.

As for the Tapeo boys, I would be worried about having a restaurant cater such a large event. A 400-plus wedding calls for a real caterer. From what I hear, DeVienne has stopped catering to focus on his spice business.

If you have the money, I would think Denise Cornellier would do a bang up job.

For that kind of event, and if you have the money once again, I'll go for AREA and Ian Perrrault, the guy love challenge and he can move a montain if you ask for it!

Trust him, give the guy some lattitude and ask for quality ingredients... is gonna give it back to you

He's a bit crazy, but sometimes it helps when you receive 400 guests

The Gazette named the top 10 caterers in Montreal roughly a year ago. Does anyone remember this list???

A friend of mine is getting married soon and is looking to me to point her in the right direction as far as a caterer, but there's so little info out there about who's good, who's hot, etc!!

Any help would be appreciated! Is Area still doing events? I know De Vienne is one of the best, but the wedding is for 400 plus people, I don't think they would do it. And forget Denise.

Any feedback on Agnus Dei? Avocado??

Thanks all,

Fireweed.

Just this week i've partaken of 2 breakfasts and 3 lunches provided by Avocado. Very informal, served at our agency for working sessions with clients. Very fresh ingredients, nice clean flavors. Our clients had very nice things to say about the pastries in particular. Of course a working lunch for 15 isn't a wedding reception...

Dansereau traiteur did a very nice job at the recent Royal Victoria cocktail. The food was very good and nicely presented ( a little ‘Thomas Keller ish’, but they aren’t alone in that regard). Contact Yves Levesque 514 735 6107.

I have been to a couple of functions where Otago has done a wonderful job but the events were much smaller than 400, so I’d check to see what their capacity is.

I work in the catering industry and have worked alongside Dansereau as a bartender. They have half decent food and are relatively well organized, but I found them to have trouble finishing a job. They left boxes of fresh seafood behind in the client's garage and didn't organize any of their rentals before leaving the site. Just a warning. Call Kristine at C3 events at 282-9292. She has a handle on all the large catering companies in the area.

Good luck

Thanks to all for the help! I've passed the info along and everything is very useful.

Fireweed

Julien Leblanc-they have offices on Sherbrooke street -catered a black tie gala for the law firm I was working at a couple of years ago--about 400 people--I had no complaints about the service or the food-mind you I picked one of their higher end menus and had a couple of tastings before...

hope this helps

Alida