• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

White chocolate espresso cake filling

kaneel

I am making a birthday cake for a friend of mine. I wanted to try a white chocolate espresso filling without it being too sweet. So i wanted to try this ............making a white chocolate ganache cooling that and whipping it and adding some more whipped cream to make it less sweet and light.

So this is the big question will this method work???

I just wanna avoid making imbc.

Funny you should post -- I just did three cakes with such a filling. Works perfectly. I have this filling from Chocolate Passion that I love -- very light in texture and taste. My husband eats all the leftovers as if it was mousse.

1 Tbs chocolate liqueur (I use Godiva)

1 Tbs hot water

1 tsp espresso powder

1 tsp vanilla

6 oz white chocolate

6 oz heavy cream

Mix the first four ingredients and set aside. Make ganache from cream and white chocolate. When emulsified, add the mixture of first four and stir well. Set aside in fridge for 8 hours or overnight. Whip. Yum.

This was done with an angel food cake, so the flavor is light. Of course, you can vary the flavors infinitely depending upon taste....

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

Thank you so much Sweetside for the quick response and the recipe...it sounds great!!! Do you think it would work with a chocolate cake?

The cakes I just used it with were chocolate and they were snorfed up like these people had never eaten good food before! Depending on how much you want to play up the mocha or the white chocolate part, throw in some extra espresso powder. There is enough liquid to disolve more of it.

I also soaked my cakes in simple syrup spiked with espresso and the Godive liqueur as well. Personal beliefs aside with the addition of alcohol, even kids love the filling.

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

Funny you should post -- I just did three cakes with such a filling.  Works perfectly.  I have this filling from Chocolate Passion that I love -- very light in texture and taste.  My husband eats all the leftovers as if it was mousse.

1 Tbs hot water

1 tsp espresso powder

1 tsp vanilla

6 oz white chocolate

6 oz heavy cream

Mix the first four ingredients and set aside.  Make ganache from cream and white chocolate. When emulsified, add the mixture of first four and stir well.  Set aside in fridge for 8 hours or overnight.  Whip.  Yum. 

This was done with an angel food cake, so the flavor is light.  Of course, you can vary the flavors infinitely depending upon taste....

This sounds wonderful! However, I seem to have a hard time with white chocolate going gummy when I melt it. Can you please be a bit more specific on how you turn the white chocolate and cream into ganache?

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Funny you should post -- I just did three cakes with such a filling.  Works perfectly.  I have this filling from Chocolate Passion that I love -- very light in texture and taste.  My husband eats all the leftovers as if it was mousse.

1 Tbs hot water

1 tsp espresso powder

1 tsp vanilla

6 oz white chocolate

6 oz heavy cream

Mix the first four ingredients and set aside.  Make ganache from cream and white chocolate. When emulsified, add the mixture of first four and stir well.  Set aside in fridge for 8 hours or overnight.  Whip.  Yum. 

This was done with an angel food cake, so the flavor is light.  Of course, you can vary the flavors infinitely depending upon taste....

This sounds wonderful! However, I seem to have a hard time with white chocolate going gummy when I melt it. Can you please be a bit more specific on how you turn the white chocolate and cream into ganache?

I've had my white chocolate go gummy when I melt it at too high a temperature. Then I get this nasty mass that almost looks like seized chocolate, and it is never really good again... For ganache, I never melt the chocolate unless there is only a very small amount of cream in proportion.

For making the ganache for this recipe, I heat the cream to a boil as how I was taught. (Another thread says you don't even need to go that far.) Then, pour the cream over the white chocolate. The chocolate should be in fairly small pieces -- pistoles or small chunks. Let sit for half a minute or so, then gently whisk until homogenous. Once homogenous, add the espresso/vanilla/liqueur mixture and whisk until incorporated.

Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Then whip (this is a small amount -- I use a hand mixer) until you reach soft peaks. Don't overwhip or the whole thing will go grainy on you.

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

Point to note -- I find this to be a soft filling. When filling cakes with it other than the angel food one which was ganached, I have used a buttercream dam to keep it from squishing out the side since the cake layer is heavier.

Cheryl, The Sweet Side