• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sammy's Cider Mill

JohnnyH

I've heard good things about Sammy's Cider Mill, but have never been there. The seating policy seems extremely odd for an upscale restaurant -- you apparently order at the bar and stay there while your table's food is prepared; you are only taken to a table when the dishes are ready to be served. This doesn't strike me as a particularly relaxing way to enjoy a meal, especially a pricey one. Am I correct here? What's the experience like?

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

I've heard good things about Sammy's Cider Mill, but have never been there. The seating policy seems extremely odd for an upscale restaurant -- you apparently order at the bar and stay there while your table's food is prepared; you are only taken to a table when the dishes are ready to be served. This doesn't strike me as a particularly relaxing way to enjoy a meal, especially a pricey one. Am I correct here? What's the experience like?

From a thread about steakhouses: Sammy's (egullet)

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

Its a very solid steak and chop house (I really liked their chops) but its very expensive. A nice place to go for special occassions, certainly.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Also, you order at a door just inside the restaurant, then go downstairs to the bar/game room. The menu is posted on the wall next to the door, inside. It's like a half door (farm house door?) to the kitchen, if I remember correctly.

"A nice place to go for special occasions" when you want a casual atmosphere.

All the food is excellent at Sammy's. I've been going for years. The dry aged steak is one of the best I've ever had. If you want to go soon you may want to go tonight or tomorrow because they close for vacation Sat. and won't be open again until March 7th

I could be completely wrong, but I don't think I'd like ordering/eating that way. I like to relax and take my time at the table, especially if I'm paying so much for the priveledge. This kind of structure seems as though it would make things feel rushed. I take it I'm wrong?

-- Albert Ellis

I could be completely wrong, but I don't think I'd like ordering/eating that way. I like to relax and take my time at the table, especially if I'm paying so much for the priveledge. This kind of structure seems as though it would make things feel rushed. I take it I'm wrong?

Well, you may feel a bit rushed in that you don't sit down at a table and stew over a menu. However, the menu is a bit limited, so it's not overly tough to make a selection. Also, you can take your time during the process.

After you've ordered, you go down to the bar room to relax and wait for your table to be ready. When your table is ready, you get called upstairs, and the meal is served almost immediately. I suppose instead of relaxing at your table, you're relaxing down stairs. I've never felt "rushed" at Sammy's.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

And I love that the bar bill is put on your food bill so you can just leave a tip and go to your table. I love Sammy's. Be forewarned that it gets busy on a Friday & Saturday evening. We often go early on a Sunday.

JohnnyH--the idea is to relax at the bar! :smile:

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Wow, I haven't been to Sammy's in years - I loved it there. It's a little bit of a trek from the Little Falls/Wayne area, but on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon, it's a really nice ride (especially in the Fall). The ordering process is a little bit weird, but once you order & go to the bar, you sort of don't mind. Great steaks, chops, & lobsters.

www.cookstour.netMy Blog

JohnnyH--the idea is to relax at the bar!  :smile:

Exactly, and you can really relax at the bar, because you aren't waiting for a table so you can then order your dinner. You can sit and relax and talk over drinks, maybe even play a game of skee ball. Then, when you go to your table, a family style salad is served almost immediately. Are there other apps served too? The price seems high, but I think it is a full dinner price that includes these apps, right? (I haven't been in more than five years, so someone please clarify this part for me.)

Sammy's Ye Old Cider Mill, 353 Mendham Road West (Route 24), Mendham, is the best-known secret around! Even though this establishment does not have a sign to let you know that it is a restaurant I have never been here when there wasn't a wait. Sammy's has been in the Fornaro family for over 60 years and is now run by third generation family members, Maryann, Phil & Sam Fornaro.

You may be confused at your first visit to Sammy's as things are done differently from any other restaurant that I have dined at. When you enter Sammy's don't wait to be seated. Keep your coat on and go to the hostess station or get in line because there will most likely be a line. Look at the menu nailed to the wall and tell the hostess your name and give her your order. Most people come for the outstanding dry-aged Black Angus T-bone steaks, lobsters, and enormous cuts of lamb, veal and pork chops. Be forewarned you dinner includes salad dressed with house made wine vinegar, a fresh vegetable, the best French fries in New Jersey, dessert and coffee. You may not want an appetizer although you may want to splurge on stone crabs which are offered in season.

Ok. You have ordered. Now what? You are sent to the basement where there is a handmade wooden bar which dates back to the 1920's prohibition era when Sammy's was a speakeasy, video games and a bumper pool table to help you bide your time. Order a drink from the bartender and tell him your name. Don't pay him as the bar bill will be added to your food check (a nice touch). A few minutes before your food is ready the phone will ring, and the bartender will call your name. You may now go to the dining room where you will have a scrumptious dinner.

Phone 973-543-7675 for directions. Reservations are not taken.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

the best French fries in New Jersey

You could start a war with a statement like that! :raz:

Okay. So let's say I go and there's a wait before I can order. Can I spend this time waiting in the bar, or do I only go to the bar once I've ordered?

-- Albert Ellis

Okay. So let's say I go and there's a wait before I can order. Can I spend this time waiting in the bar, or do I only go to the bar once I've ordered?

You have to wait in line to order and then you can go to the bar. Or you may be lucky and there won't be a line.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

When I saw the word "upscale", my first thought was ----HUH?

I don't mean that the food is not the best, as every meal I've had has been 4*s.

But he place is so homey, that I don't think of it as upcale. The dining room set-up, and the atmosphere is like family ----- and I can hardly wait to go back!!

Has this link been given?

http://www.sammyscidermill.com/index.html

Have not been able to get there in some time, friends went on Saturday and loved it. Other friends that live out that way go every couple of months.

It is homey, and if you don't just go with the flow you could be put off by the service, but the food is consistently outstanding.

Peter Conway

Food and Wine Guy

Mano A Vino Montclair Food and Wine Blog

Hi: The restaurant is not upscale, but the food is. They serve what I consider the "best" Shrimp Scampi anywhere and the Vodka Pasta is better that what I've had in any Italian Restaurant. Are the Fornaro's Italian?

Me personally find sitting at a bar before dinner very relaxing. Unique and great restaurant!

Edited by steakas (log)

:D