• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Storing Spices

RonC

[...

A great idea, but wouldn't you deal with the occasional catastrophe of one of those tins falling off the door while it was beeing open/closed?  I can imagine myself cleaning some otherwise perfectly good spices off of my floor on many an occasion.

No problems so far. These are pretty powerful magnets and the lids fit very securely so that even if one fell off, there's a good chance of no spills.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I have a wide drawer in which I keep most of my spices. I transferred them from their original containers (generally Penzey's bags) into these Penzey's jars.

I have 47 jars in there and could have more if I used smaller jars and kept the remainder in the fridge.

gallery_28660_2436_70724.jpg

Cool - thanks for sharing!

Sidecar Ron

I have a wide drawer in which I keep most of my spices. I transferred them from their original containers (generally Penzey's bags) into these Penzey's jars.

I have 47 jars in there and could have more if I used smaller jars and kept the remainder in the fridge.

gallery_28660_2436_70724.jpg

Mrs. Sidecar is an English Major - gotta be alphabetically.

Ol' Sidecar Ron

Maybe this is a whole new thread, but how do you arrange your spices?  Alphabetically?  Or do you group them?  If so, what kind of groups?

I have a plain oak spice rack that's been following me around for the past 25 years. I bought it at a kitchenware store in Brookyn Heights, but I've seen similar ones for sale on eBay, in various sizes. It can be mounted on a wall or is stable enough to stand on a counter.

Mine has 3 tiers and holds about 30 standard spice jars (a few more if I squeeze them together a little). I've saved the glass jars from old spices to use for new spices. Larger back-up quantities and spices/herbs that lose their fragrance quickly get stored in the freezer, in 2 layers of Ziploc freezer bags. I haven't found a problem with transferred flavors/scents.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

I keep the most-frequently-used spices in little jars with ceramic grinder heads. Bulk supplies and larger spices like Ancho chilis get vacuum-sealed in mason jars. (We get those obnoxious meal moths in Ohio, too, Fifi).

I keep the "bulk" stuff away from sunlight. The least-used stuff (for me, at least), like black cardomom and cubeb pepper, gets stashed in vacuum-sealed jars or pouches in the cellar where it's dark and cool.

A few small and expensive items like saffron, fennel pollen, "exquisite"-grade paprika, get vacuum-sealed and refridgerated.

One little rule that I have to remind myself of: the "frequently-used" stuff has to be turned over often, even if it means tossing some occasionally.

As for organization, that's a whole 'nother pathology. :wink: