• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Big Burgers

I emailed Pete about this, since he posted his inquiry originally on Chowhound about it.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

For that reason, I have never in my life been to a White Castle (a.k.a "WC Steakhouse", jokingly).  When I worked in Hackensack a few years ago, my boss would actually use White Mana to threaten me.  He'd say, "You better do a good job today... otherwise you're going to be eating White Mana for lunch!"  I don't care if it IS some kind of Jersey institution, I still have no desire to eat there.  I leave it to those who enjoy that style of hamburger.

White Castle is a real intstitution, drift by the location on Lyons avenue in Irvington at 2 in the morning, and check out the action....Steinbeck would love the inspiration.

Women with infants, guys getting off work, a few women of the evening coming down from Coit Street (yup, that's the name, two blocks west), cabbies, and a coupla cops. Just folks trying to get warm and enjoy a few sliders and a warm coffee.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

• 10 months later...

the Allendale Bar & Grill (AB&G - in allendale)) has a great burger. and i suppose, by extension, so does the Mawah Bar & Grill (in mahwah i'd guess), although i've never been there.

perfectly cooked to m/r. great char, but still moist and rare on the inside. good burger-to-bun ratio. highly recommended.

i don't think this place has a website. but it doesn't need one. it's a freakin gold mine as it is.

i need to revisit arthur's. i ate at arthur's probably once a week for 3 years straight in my early 20's. the only thing that put me off about the burger was that the bun was too big, and the burger wasn't very juicy. i think i'll check them out again soon though. thanks for the reminder!

the Allendale Bar & Grill (AB&G - in allendale)) has a great burger.  and i suppose, by extension, so does the Mawah Bar & Grill (in mahwah i'd guess), although i've never been there.

perfectly cooked to m/r.  great char, but still moist and rare on the inside.  good burger-to-bun ratio.  highly recommended.

i don't think this place has a website.  but it doesn't need one.  it's a freakin gold mine as it is.

The AB&G does have a good burger but their Cheddar Ale Burger is disgusting.

The Man, The Myth

TapItorScrapIt.com

Go for a burger in Cape May at The Ugly Mug. They have what is called their Seafood Burger, which a burger, topped with shrimp and swiss cheese. Might not sound that great but it is. On days like this, it's great with a hot spiked apple cider, another one of their specialties.

Heuriger Wein is mein Lieblingswein!

• 2 weeks later...
:blink: We had excellent burgers at the ABG today (Allendale Bar & Grill). Recommend you skip the standard undistinguished fries and get a side of french fried sweet potatoes instead. (OK, they're probably yams). Better tip--bring your kids and order them the kids burger--its about 1/2 the size, and is less than $3, including a small portion of the fries. They won't care about undistinguished fries.