• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Big Burgers

To use Rachel's system of approbation, Jackson Hole sucks.  Their burgers are just big gray tasteless lumps of steamed meat.  Early on they were good, but either their beef or their system of cooking changed and the product went way downhill.  They cover the burger with a metal cup on the grill, but don't remove it so the burger gets charred or even firm.  The burger even tasted crappy the last times I ate at the Madison Ave. and Columbus Ave. places.  Ugh.

thank you for that accurate description. people tend to go on about the toppings and selection there, as if it's just such an amazing concept to offer eggs or chili on a soggy hamburger. oy. as if a piece of beef needs anything more than a char, a slice of cheese, and some onion.

the above, of course, is my not-so-humble opinion.

Tommy - You don't ever feel the need to get adventurous with your burgers? While I agree that a good burger shouldn't NEED any toppings (that includes cheese and onions), I've got no problems with experimentation from time to time. I like to make big stuffed burgers filled with green peppers & pineapple or jalapeños & cheese or whatever else strikes me on that particular day. I never did have that hamburger at the Jackson Hole (the only time I went I ordered an omelett), but just the idea of having the equivalent of a full breakfast on top of a hamburger was something I could get into. Maybe I should start checking around the grease trucks in New Brunswick to find something like that ("Fat Sunrise")?

As for another place to put on this list, I believe the Spruce St. Grill in Ramsey serves a 10 oz. burger. I'll try to confirm that soon, since I've been in the mood to dine somewhere with outdoor seating recently and SSG fits the bill.

Tommy - I hear you on the steamed burger thing. I'm not a fan either, but I was only making the argument in defense of the toppings, not in defense of the way the Jackson Hole prepares their burgers. From how they were described, I probably wouldn't have liked them anyway.

For that reason, I have never in my life been to a White Castle (a.k.a "WC Steakhouse", jokingly). When I worked in Hackensack a few years ago, my boss would actually use White Mana to threaten me. He'd say, "You better do a good job today... otherwise you're going to be eating White Mana for lunch!" I don't care if it IS some kind of Jersey institution, I still have no desire to eat there. I leave it to those who enjoy that style of hamburger.

I don't care if it IS some kind of Jersey institution, I still have no desire to eat there.  I leave it to those who enjoy that style of hamburger.

this begs the question: how do you know you don't like it if you've never tried it.

i don't mean to come off sounding like a parent here, but really 201.

:wacko:

Tommy - Chalk it up to a poor judgement call if you like. I call it a preference. I don't care for that style of hamburger so I have no desire to try White Mana's particular rendition of it. I can't think of any occasion where I disliked a type of food but found one version of it that I really DID like. Generally speaking, my dislikes are pretty consistent. Some people are different. They may not even like, say, thin crust pizza in general, but for some reason may really love the thin crust at Kinchley's. Historically, my tastes haven't functioned in that fashion so I'd rather pass on White Mana and try other places that I have more interest in. Ergo...

I DON'T WANNA EAT IT! I DON'T WANNA!!! I DON'T WANNA!!! I DON'T WANNA!!!

I HATE YOU DADDY AND I'LL STARVE MYSELF IF YOU TRY TO MAKE ME EAT IT!!

:raz:

In any case, I'm not looking to discourage others from going... just stating that my own preferences take me elsewhere. My choice, my loss.

went to finks for the first time this weekend. the 3/4 lb burger is quite good. and with their huge selection of sauces, there're plenty of options for fry dipping. you gotta love it.

oh, and fink had phish on the stereo. it was a live track actually. so, you know, that's pretty cool. :smile: well, i *think* it was live. oh it doesn't really matter, now does it.

but only if the burger is charred, rather then boiled.  uhhh, steamed.

I happen to be willing to drive 180 miles round trip for a few White Manna burgers. I also believe people should like what I like. Don't know why. Just do.

So I find it hard to understand why anyone would not like White Manna hamburgers. But even if there are such out there, do not reject all steamed hamburgers until you tried Ted's Steamed Cheeseburger in Meriden CT.

Unlike the other places Ted's doesn't even pretend to grill the cheeseburgers. The ground beef goes into one tiny stainless steel pan, Vermont Cheddar in another. The pans then go into a steaming aparatus (a closed box with holes on the bottom atop boiling water and cooked til done.

Teds-Cooker.jpg

Ted's Steamed Cheeseburgers @ HollyEats.Com

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

So I find it hard to understand why anyone would not like White Manna hamburgers.  But even if there are such out there, do not reject all steamed hamburgers until you tried Ted's Steamed Cheeseburger in Meriden CT. 

for the record, i generally love "steamed" burgers a la white castle, white manna, etc.

From another burger thread on the NJ Board, here's my prior review of Ted's (mentioned above by Holly):

At the advice of an earlier post on this thread, i recently stopped at Ted's Restaurant in Meriden, CT (i know this is a NJ board, but putting here for continuity).

This place is a real "joint" where they speak to you in one-word sentences. Upon walking in we were asked:

"Cheesburger"?

--> Yes please, thank you

"Onion"?

--> Yes, please

"Drink"?

In no time at all our food was placed in front of us (on paper plates). Now what makes this place special is that they steam their burgers, and i don't mean they put a dome over it while they cook it. They take a small tin, mabye 3 inches X 2 inches and load it up with meat, then place it on a shelf in a patented metal box which sits on top of the stove (and is above, i imagine, a pot of boiling water). Cheese for the burger is also melted in the same box.

The burger drips when you bite into it (all that steam makes the burger extra juicy), and it tasted VERY good. I spent quite some time to try to determine what was different and i finally hit upon it: The meat browns all the way through, but there is a stronger "beef" taste than with a traditional burger. At $2.60/cheeseburger ($1.90 for no cheese) this may be the best burger value in the country!

We each had one cheeseburger (along with an order of cheese fries, which i recommend you pass on) and that was enough food for us. Two guys at the counter each had 2 and were truely stuffed.

This place isn't worth a special trip from the NYC area, but DEFINATELY worth the trip if you are ever within a 30 minute radius of the place. It's also VERY convenient to stop at if you ever make the drive from NYC to Boston, as it is right off the highway.

Steaming is a very CT treatment of the burger.

There's a place in Middletown CT which also does the steamed cheeseburger deal.

Old time diner on the doublewide main drag (trolley used to go down the center) White's is the name, I think. Looks like the clock stopped in 1955, lots of chrome, formica topped tables, seats at the counter.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Comments on places mentioned above.

Fuddruckers: Okay, here's the deal, as Ross Perot used to say. The "problem" with Fuddruckers is consistency. Not necessarily between one burger and another, but between one LOCATION and another. I've had great burgers at Fuddruckers and horrible ones... they were just at different locations.

Jackson Hole: I've never really liked them, but I can understand why some people do. The meat loses a lot of taste, but the opportunity for topings is unparalleled.

Another chain not mentioned here (particularly because of the weight restriction) is Johnny Rocket's. Frankly, I like 'em. The way the burgers get all crunchy around the edges is cool. Once again, in my experience, not all "Rockets" do this equally well--heck, different shifts in the same location aren't consistent.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Another chain not mentioned here (particularly because of the weight restriction) is Johnny Rocket's.  Frankly, I like 'em.  The way the burgers get all crunchy around the edges is cool.  Once again, in my experience, not all "Rockets" do this equally well--heck, different shifts in the same location aren't consistent.

Yes, I totally forgot about Rockets. Especially that weird burger, the #6 or #9 is it?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

There is a small town in NE Nebraska that serves a 5 lb burger. They had a challenge like the place in PA does.

Have not had the good fortune to visit yet, and unfortunately I've forgotten the little town's name.

Regarding the cooking methods for a burger: I find a steamed burger is better when done on top of minced onions like White Castle does. Makes for a juicy experience. I'd think a good fat ratio would do nicely here as well. If a burger is made up of a leaner ratio, toppings are probably the way to go, with grilling & charring enhancing the flavors as well as sealing in its scant juices and fat.

Recently I've been experimenting with salt brine basting my meats during grilling and it really seems to enhance steaks and burgers.

Happy Eating from the Heartland!

Mike T.

Sioux City, IA

This wonderful discussion ignores the fact that White Manna seems to grill its hamburgers, not steam them.  The comparison to White Castle is a size thing, I think.

Not grilled, griddled

Essentially fried on a flat top or plancha.

Nick

Oh my! I'm so sorry to have mentioned Nebraska! I guess we rate an east coast snub, but mention PA or even FL and everything is hunky-dory. LOL Besides, the majority of my message was aimed at the general discussion on the different ways to cook different sized burgers.

I did consider posting over to the Heartland forum, but ... as you may or may not know....posts are scarce, few and far between.

Let me get this straight, since I'm not from the a particular region -- NJ, I shouldn't post in a particular forum? :angry:

Life is too short to fret over cliquish decorum bullshit on a message board. This will be my first/last comment on the matter.

Mike T.

Sioux City, IA :sad:

Oh my!  I'm so sorry to have mentioned Nebraska!  Mike T.

Sioux City, IA :sad:

Mike -

I have a question on runzas for which I haven't been able to obtain an answer. I'll put it over on the Heartland - Nebraska board, and see if we can get some feedback.

Thanks

Paul

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Hey Mike calm down! There's no need to get all pissed off. I thought I was pretty polite in pointing out what I did to you. I wasn't saying don't post about it at all. However, this is a regionally specific thread. I was in fact encouraging you to go to your regional thread to discuss it and/or to start a more general thread about big burgers in a non-regional forum. It was advice to a relatively new eGullet member.

It's not like I deleted your post or said, "get the F off our NJ forum!" No. I nicely said there was more appropriate places to post what you did. You see, not everyone reads the NJ forum, and while the post you wrote was great, more people would see it if you started a new topic in General about how you and others feel about big burgers. Get it? Feel better now?