• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Joe Fortes, Fish House and Cannery sold

eatrustic

I heard in passing today that a Canadian Hotel chain had purchased Joe's, Fish House and the Cannery, I would assume, from Mr. Kanke and company last week. Anyone have the skinny on this?

Mr. Kanke no longer owns the Cannery or the Fish House to my understanding.

He only owns Joe's.

Ian McTavish

General Manager / Capones Restaurant & Live Jazz Club

The Fish House and the Cannery were sold to Canadian Hotel Income Properties Real Estate Investment Trust, announced January 26 here as part of a deal for a Victoria hotel. It'll be interesting to see if new directions are taken, particularly as Stan Fuller is on the board at CHIP REIT.

Edited by MightyMrQ (log)

Quentin Kayne

Sorry about the inclusion of Joe's in this. I knew Bud had moved away from Fish House and Cannery but thought that he had somewhere along the line taken them back.

The new owners have sure got quite the hotel porfolio. Everything from Deltas to Ramadas and Coast Hotels with a few more chains thrown in. It will be interesting to see how such a corporate structure handles two stand alone restaurants.

Personally I can't see them getting any better as fine dining doesn't seem to be a high priority for most of their properties.

Stan Fuller might make a bit of a difference but both places already are above the Earls level (if not the decor).