• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I was just wondering what kind of restaurants you frequent when you are not cooking or traveling?

I usually try to eat the local fare. Like when I was in San Antonio I ate at several taquerias (sp?) and boy were they good.

When I was in Kansas city I had bbq.

Sometimes there is a more high end restaurant I must try like 40 Sardines, also in Kansas, or Boulevard in San Francisco.

I try to support women chefs by visiting their restaurants. I love Annie Quatranno's restaurants in Atlanta. I also try to visit all my chef friends who were guests on my show, like Kent Rathbun at Rathbun's in Atlanta.

Sometimes it is very hard to choose when faced with a town like say, Chicago - so many great restaurants, so little time...

Sara Moulton

I try to support women chefs by visiting their restaurants. I love Annie Quatranno's restaurants in Atlanta. I also try to visit all my chef friends who were guests on my show, like Kent Rathbun at Rathbun's in Atlanta.

As a local Atlantan who deems good food essential to our city, I must commend you on these two choices .. they are both quite exceptional for what they have added to Atlanta's growing (and glowing!) culinary lustre!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

What are some of your current favorites here in New York?

oh boy, that is a hard one.

If someone else is paying, I LOVE le Bernadin

Beppe

Rosa Mexicano

I trulli

Ouest

all of Mario's restaurants

Thalassa

La Taza de Oro

Nobu (again if someone else is paying)

Tabla

Gotham Bar and Grill

Balthazar

eleven madison park

union square cafe

I am sure I am forgetting so many. This city is such an exciting place to be in.

Sara Moulton

When I was in Kansas city I had bbq.

Sometimes there is a more high end restaurant I must try like 40 Sardines, also in Kansas

So, what did you have and how did you like it? (If time allows.)

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Sara,

Thanks for answering my question.

Glad to see you enjoyed Atlanta. Anne's restaurants are amazing and I am proud that a woman (and alumni of my culinary school) is producing such quality fare in my lovely city. I also adore that she has her own farm. What a dream.

I saw on your blog that one of your resolutions was eat at more ethnic restaurants. Is there any cuisine you have not tried?

Thanks.

The Blissful Glutton

You obviously are a big Danny Meyer fan. Can you explain why most of his restaurants are on your list of favorites -- I see Gramercy Tavern , the MOMA places and Blue Smoke to be the omissions, and the Shake Shack, of course! Yes, I also love Danny Meyer establishments.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I saw on your blog that one of your resolutions was eat at more ethnic restaurants. Is there any cuisine you have not tried?

I have not tried or not tried enough of:

Korean

Cambodian

Vietnamese

regional African

regional Indian

regional Mexican

regional Latin American

and I am sure there are so many other cuisines out there that I have never tasted

I know there are many of these ethnic restaurants in the 5 boroughs of Manhattan, I just have to find them. Us Manhattanites tend to think that going to another borough is like going to Anartica.

Sara Moulton

I have not tried or not tried enough of:

Korean

Cambodian

Vietnamese

regional African

regional Indian

regional Mexican

regional Latin American

and I am sure there are so many other cuisines out there that I have never tasted

I know there are many of these ethnic restaurants in the 5 boroughs of Manhattan, I just have to find them. Us Manhattanites tend to think that going to another borough is like going to Anartica.

Sara,

Looks like you have your work cut out for you. :smile:

I am sure you can find loads of suggestions from the New Yorkers on this board. The people here really know their stuff.

Thanks for your answers.

The Blissful Glutton

Edited by The Blissful Glutton (log)

[...]I know there are many of these ethnic restaurants in the 5 boroughs of Manhattan, I just have to find them. Us Manhattanites tend to think that going to another borough is like going to Anartica.

:laugh:

Well, for excellent Korean, you don't actually have to leave Manhattan, though there's great stuff in Flushing, and Northern New Jersey folks like Jason will tell you that restaurants across the Hudson blow away anything on these offshore islands. But you can start here:

THE BEST: Manhattan Korean

If you want to go to Little Korea right away, Han Bat may be a good place for you to start. As I wrote in the first post of the Han Bat thread:

[...]I find that in terms of atmosphere, Han Bat feels like an excellent Korean diner, and the prices also reflect that, but the quality of the food is really excellent, making it arguably one of the best values in Manhattan.[...]

They have really good bibimbap, and your waiter/waitress will probably show you how to mix it if you've never had it before.

I'll also mention that I had an excellent meal at Seoul Garden less than two months ago and look forward to exploring more of their extensive menu in repeated return visits.

Some of the other cuisines you're looking for are harder to find in New York, though we do have a "THE BEST: Vietnamese" thread (and also, by way of contrast, an "Is New York Vietnamese any good?" thread), but one of the best cheap meals I've ever had in New York was a banh mi from Banh Mi Saigon Bakery on Mott St. between Grand and Hester.

Michael aka "Pan"

[...]I know there are many of these ethnic restaurants in the 5 boroughs of Manhattan, I just have to find them. Us Manhattanites tend to think that going to another borough is like going to Anartica.

:laugh:

Well, for excellent Korean, you don't actually have to leave Manhattan, though there's great stuff in Flushing, and Northern New Jersey folks like Jason will tell you that restaurants across the Hudson blow away anything on these offshore islands. But you can start here:

THE BEST: Manhattan Korean

If you want to go to Little Korea right away, Han Bat may be a good place for you to start. As I wrote in the first post of the Han Bat thread:

[...]I find that in terms of atmosphere, Han Bat feels like an excellent Korean diner, and the prices also reflect that, but the quality of the food is really excellent, making it arguably one of the best values in Manhattan.[...]

They have really good bibimbap, and your waiter/waitress will probably show you how to mix it if you've never had it before.

I'll also mention that I had an excellent meal at Seoul Garden less than two months ago and look forward to exploring more of their extensive menu in repeated return visits.

Some of the other cuisines you're looking for are harder to find in New York, though we do have a "THE BEST: Vietnamese" thread (and also, by way of contrast, an "Is New York Vietnamese any good?" thread), but one of the best cheap meals I've ever had in New York was a banh mi from Banh Mi Saigon Bakery on Mott St. between Grand and Hester.

Thanks, That is really helpful. I am going to check those out and get back to you.

If anyone else has suggestions please let me know.

Sara Moulton