• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coke Blak and other Coffee Sodas

phaelon56

Gosh... talk about not sitting on your laurels or at the least not settling for the same old amount of shelf space. Coca-Cola is indeed getting rid of Coke with Vanilla

Demise of Coke with Vanilla discussion

But they're stepping right in with something that should either be a total abomination or a tasty new treat. I doubt that there will be much middle ground for opinion.

Enter Coca-Cola Blak

They say it has a "real coffee-like froth" when poured. What kind of coffee is that? And might I venture to guess that "real coffee" means something along the lines of Maxwell House only not as good? :laugh:

When I think about it the concept has appeal. I've had some excellent Italian coffee soda and also tried a bottled espresso soda from New Jersey that's quite refereshing. I can see the possibilities of marrying that flavor with the cola flavor and keeping the sweetness level a bit lower than a typical cola drink.

So why do my gut instincts tell me that this product will suck? Am I just the kind of guy who sees the glass (coffee-cola glass that is) as half empty instead of half full?

My gut instincts also tell me I won't like the product, but I label myself a "purist" because I don't like flavored anything... except for maybe certain teas. Maybe.

I will, however, try it! I like both Coca Cola and coffee, and I'm bored. :biggrin:

So why do my gut instincts tell me that this product will suck? Am I just the kind of guy who sees the glass (coffee-cola glass that is) as half empty instead of half full?

You're neither an optimist nor a pessimist, Owen. You're a cynic! :biggrin:

I choose to be a realist. Some folks will love this and others will hate it. And that glass is twice as big as it needs to be. :rolleyes:

I'll give it a try and see if I like it. I'll like it more if it's less sweet as you suggested. I won't drink it regularly even if I love it until there's a diet version.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Diet Manhattan Special, by the way, is a pretty damn good product, Katie.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Diet Manhattan Special, by the way, is a pretty damn good product, Katie.

Jason:

I've not heard of this. Can you enlighten me?

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

This has to be another one of those "Only in New York" things.

http://www.manhattanspecial.com/

We can get it in Jersey, you might be able to find it at Italian Delis in Philly.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Wow, they even have a Diet Decaf Manhattan Special now. That I have to try.

I like coffee flavored candy, ice cream and pastries-but a cola does sound suspect...

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

You're neither an optimist nor a pessimist, Owen.  You're a cynic!  :biggrin:

I choose to be a realist.  Some folks will love this and others will hate it.  And that glass is twice as big as it needs to be. :rolleyes:

Yes - I agree that the glass is twice as big as it should be. I'm not only a cynic but also an engineer (IMO not a real one but my business card claims I am some sort of engineer). I need not only the right size of glass but have to quantify the quality.

The Manhattan Special Espresso Soda is pretty good but I've tried a few other brands that I liked as much or more. One was made in NJ (can't recall the name) and the other was Moka - an Italian brand that should be readily available in Italian specialty stores.

But do they pour with a froth like "real coffee"? (I understand crema on espresso but what kind of coffee has "froth"?)

Well, it never went beyond very limited market testing, from what I understand.

This has to be another one of those "Only in New York" things.

http://www.manhattanspecial.com/

We can get it in Jersey, you might be able to find it at Italian Delis in Philly.

Thanks for the link. Looks great and definitely something I'd try if I can get it. I've e-mailed the company for any local retailers in PA. I'll let you know if it's procurable.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Gosh...  talk about not sitting on your laurels or at the least not settling for the same old amount of shelf space.  Coca-Cola is indeed getting rid of Coke with Vanilla

Demise of Coke with Vanilla discussion

But they're stepping right in with something that should either be a total abomination or a tasty new treat. I doubt that there will be much middle ground for opinion.

Enter Coca-Cola Blak

They say it has a "real coffee-like froth" when poured.  What kind of coffee is that? And might I venture to guess that "real coffee" means something  along the lines of Maxwell House only not as good? :laugh:

When I think about it the concept has appeal. I've had some excellent Italian coffee soda and also tried a bottled espresso soda from New Jersey that's quite refereshing. I can see the possibilities of marrying that flavor with the cola flavor and keeping the sweetness level a bit lower than a typical cola drink.

I'll take "abomination" for $500, Alex.

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

• 3 weeks later...

I had a "Pepsi Latte" in Thailand. Tasted like those clear coffee candies I always got stuck with in my Halloween candy bag.

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

Many of the grad students I have worked with who hail from the far east drink colas mixed with coffee.

It sort of reminds me of a horrid drink I found at webtender.com. It had coffee, Dr. Pepper, and peach schnapps. It looked and smelled like some of the tars I produced in organic chemistry lab. I think it was named "Ostrich Shit"

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

I've actually had good Cola/Coffee sodas before. So it IS possible to make a good one.

A couple of years ago a case of Zydecola came into my possession -- I thought it was excellent. It was made in New Orleans, I was never able to get any more because they took it off the market.

I think that if a drink like that was re-introduced and some sort of Katrina/New Orleans benefit were associated with it, like if part of the proceeds went to the reconstruction, I bet it would be a huge hit now. Maybe if Cafe Du Monde or Community Coffee were behind it.

• 3 months later...

We had a preview of Coca-Cola Blak at the IACP conference last week. I didn't expect to like it...but I really did enjoy it. It tastes just coffee-like enough, really perfect coffee-cola balance.

I did not notice any "coffee like froth." I think that's just wishful thinking in the marketing dept. But I didn't miss it.

Don't much care for the name. "Blak" -- is that supposed to be edgy or urban because it's misspelled? I find it jarring and annoying. It makes me think of Blah or Flak or Bleak.

Hey look!

They've got a website.

A bit more information here on this bevnet page:

WELCOME BLAK! Coca-Cola Blak Arrives in the United States

45 calories per 8 oz bottle. How many calories does normal coke have per ounce? Is the black actually less sweet (that would appeal to me) or are they using artificial sweetener in combo with sugar to get the calories down?

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Good grief, I want this soda! I like coffee sodas, even the diet decaf ones are pretty good! I mix a bit of my ibrik coffee into a Coca Cola once in awhile, too.

I like coffee in root beer.

So, I'm weird. That's not news. :raz: Where are they marketing this stuff?

edited by me to add: The advertising and packaging is unfortunate. Let me be clearer. I mean, it SUCKS.

Edited by Rebecca263 (log)

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Thanks for the link.  Looks great and definitely something I'd try if I can get it.  I've e-mailed the company for any local retailers in PA.  I'll let you know if it's procurable.

Manhattan Special IS great, very "real," I've been drinking it since I was a wee tot, and it's the only sweet soda I can tolerate.

I love this stuff. I didn't expect to, but the coffee flavor is a lot like Japanese canned coffees. I wish it were a bit less sweet and had a more pronounced cola flavor, but the artificial sweetener taste isn't as strong as in C2 or Pepsi Edge.

I have just discovered it's also good with rum. Damn, I wish I had some Bailey's or something.

I've tried this twice now and I'm still not sure what I think about it. Coffee seems to be the overwhelming flavor, and the Coke just sort of gets lost in it, giving a sort of coffee jelly bean flavor (if you've ever had Jelly Belly coffee flavored jelly beans you'll know what I mean). I wish it was a little less sweet too - it has corn syrup and aspartame, but maybe they could've left out the aspartame, then it would be less sweet + no "diet-y" taste.