• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

leaving Philly - Final 4 takeout/delivery

jmbrightman

we are moving to the burbs in a couple days after many many years of city living. we are leaving South Phila (Girard Estates), and here are our final takeout choices:

Nick's Roast Beef - the original and the best, at 20th and Jackson. Beef combos overboard on the outs, with a side of gravy fries

Jamaican Jerk Hut - whole Jerk Chicken with rice and peas, vegetable roti, and 2 chicken patties

Tony Luke's - roast pork sandwiches with sharp provolone and long hots, may they open soon in Washington Twp

Chickie's and Pete's - white pizza with lobster tail, mussels in red, buffalo wings, and hot shrimp in the garlic/pepper broth

Happily, our family, friends and jobs will keep us in the city on a regular basis. If you have a better recommendation for delivery or take-out, let's hear it! Reading Terminal Market is too obvious. close runners-up are Bomb-Bomb for the BBQ chicken and rib combo, and Criniti's lasagna.

No greens on those Tony Luke's Roast Pork sammies?? Ferchrissakes man, it's not long hots OR greens, it's long hots AND greens! :biggrin:

Your favorite whatever from your favorite Chinatown haunt seems like a good choice. I'd recommend the Lemon Duck and Hot n' Sour Soup from Lee How Fook.

I dunno. Must be personal taste, but I'd hardly waste one of my last four takeouts on Chickie and Pete's. It's just not that good.

Get a pizza from Rustica on North 2nd Street next door to Standard Tap.

Get some good Mexican from La Lupe or Plaza Garibaldi or even Pico de Gallo.

Go have a really good cheesesteak and some excellent draft beers at the Grey Lodge before you head to the 'burbs. Might not be takeout but will be hard to replicate.

Go have a cheeseburger at Rouge. They're still one of the best burgers in the country. And I'm not the only one saying that.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Go have a cheeseburger at Rouge.  They're still one of the best burgers in the country.  And I'm not the only one saying that.

I would have said Alan Richman was displaying hometown bias in his GQ roundup of the country's best burgers around this time last year.

Then I had a Rouge Burger.

No, it's not hometown bias at all.

Pricey for a burger and fries? You betcha. Worth the $15? You betcha. The fries are great too, but the burger's all that: Thick, fresh, juicy and beefy.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Go have a cheeseburger at Rouge.  They're still one of the best burgers in the country.  And I'm not the only one saying that.

I would have said Alan Richman was displaying hometown bias in his GQ roundup of the country's best burgers around this time last year.

Then I had a Rouge Burger.

No, it's not hometown bias at all.

Pricey for a burger and fries? You betcha. Worth the $15? You betcha. The fries are great too, but the burger's all that: Thick, fresh, juicy and beefy.

Agree with you and Katie about the burger. I just had my first one last week and it was perhaps even better than my favorite, Standard Tap. I liked the roll too. I asked for fried onions on mine unaware that they served them with carmelized onions, who am I to complain!

Somewhat off topic but you should try their blood mary's. We had a few while waiting for lunch on a nice late Sunday afternoon.

I had a Rouge burger for lunch at least twice a week when I worked there and still didn't get tired of them. It really is the best burger in town IMHO. Standard Tap and Good Dog make a fine burger too, but the Rouge burger is the whole package - really high quality meat cooked the way you asked for it, carmelized onions, blue cheese, Applewood smoked bacon and a really good roll. :drool:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I had a Rouge burger for lunch at least twice a week when I worked there and still didn't get tired of them.  It really is the best burger in town IMHO.  Standard Tap and Good Dog make a fine burger too, but the Rouge burger is the whole package - really high quality meat cooked the way you asked for it, carmelized onions, blue cheese, Applewood smoked bacon and a really good roll.  :drool:

I second that salivation.

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't tried a Rouge burger yet, but so far my favorite is the Black Angus Burger for $4.95 (add $1 for fries) at Yummy Cafe & Bakery at the junction of Township Line (Rte 1) and Burmont Rd, just before the Pilgrim Gardens Shopping Center, across from St. Dot's. It's in a small strip shopping center (there's a Pat's Pizzeria next door). I order it medium rare and Joe the cook nails it perfectly every time, with the pink everywhere it's supposed to be. Deep beef flavor followed the pink. I get a side of mayonnaise and it's giddy city. The fries were decent, too. I've eaten it many times, and I keep meaning to try their Reuben, but there never seems to be enough room.

I realize it's not in Philly, but maybe on your way to Longwood Gardens you might pass by there.

Don't go Sunday or Monday, though, and if you do go - get there by 2:30 because the grill closes at 2:45.

Holly, I'd rate this one 5 deep grease stains for the burger alone. Not that I could tell you much about the rest of the menu.

edit addition - the patty is 8oz and is a little over an inch thick

Edited by bob tenaglio (log)