• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bangkok Kitchen

Peter Conway

Dined at Bangkok Kitchen in Caldwell.

Pad Thai was very good. I like the room. Very hip with the great painting of a reclining Buddha. This the second time I've been there. First was a few years ago.

We went with friends who love the place. I was not that impressed, but I tend to be very fussy. Dining in New York frequently sets the palate to expect better.

We had a appetizer of chopped chicken thai spices and greens, kind of a Yum Neua but with chicken instead of beef. It was tasty.

Thia Spring rolls were boring and cold inside. A crispy chicken salad was fresh and crispy. They don't have Tod Man Plan which I love.

Kids loved all their dishes except the Thai BBQ ribs which were tough and oddly spiced.

We had two currys which were acceptable, not divine. And I, not sure why, had a special, sweet and sour chicken and shrimp. Couldn't find anything else on the that was interesting.

All in all it is a nice place, friendly service. But nothing to rave about.

Next time I'm in the mood for Pan Asian I will make an effort to get out to Morristown to Origin.

Actually next Thai restaurant will probably be Zulu Lounge, in Playa Del Carmen

Any one have a favorite Thai they can recommend near Montclair, Other than Deja Vu, Thai Chef, Tuptum.

Happy Holidays

If you need a Christmas Cocktail visit my Blog. 2005 Christmas Cocktails

Peter Conway

Food and Wine Guy

Mano A Vino Montclair Food and Wine Blog

Take a short ride to Bloomfield and go to Brookside Thai. Their food is wonderful and the ingredients are so fresh and abundant that they have open a small produce store next to their restaurant.

Someone recommended it to us and we and friends have been back many times and have always thoroughly enjoyed it.

I like Brookside; in fact, I live near Brookside Thai (ok, it's cheap & rather tasty)...

But Bangkok Kitchen is a different experience. Here, you have a resturantur who has an interior design vision, his own art work (those are his photos) a capable menu & good cooking (better than good on some nights) - an altogether NYC type of dining treat - in the Cadwells. At a great price. I was pinching myself the first time I walked in.

BK remains one of my fav's in Northern NJ.

I wish, really wish, there were more like it in NJ (but the vast majority are overpriced, try too hard at the wrong things (unfocused) - and are expensive).

~waves

Edited by waves2ya (log)

~waves

"When you look at the face of the bear, you see the monumental indifference of nature. . . . You see a half-disguised interest in just one thing: food."

Werner Herzog; NPR interview about his documentary "Grizzly Man"...

Take a short ride to Bloomfield and go to Brookside Thai.  Their food is wonderful and the ingredients are so fresh and abundant that they have open a small produce store next to their restaurant.

Someone recommended it to us and we and friends have been back many times and have always thoroughly enjoyed it.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try that restaurant soon.

Peter Conway

Food and Wine Guy

Mano A Vino Montclair Food and Wine Blog