• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Suggestions For A Light Dinner

jrichman

The Jefferson. Bar should be good at that time if you're dining alone. Otherwise, their quaint dining room should do you good. I think the address is 14th & Washington, I might be off by a block.

The Jefferson. Bar should be good at that time if you're dining alone. Otherwise, their quaint dining room should do you good. I think the address is 14th & Washington, I might be off by a block.

Absolutely the right suggestion, Lou! The bar is perfect, and they're set up to feed people properly at the bar. It's esp nice if you're solo or a pair and don't feel like sitting at a table. It's on Wash almost to 14th, and BONUS--you can park in the big lot in front of the Hudson Tea Bldg (the huge condos at the top of Wash St) and The Jeff will validate your parking ticket. Can't beat that!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

You can also eat something light at the Elysian bar or at the small tables in the bar. Best part is they don't allow smoking at bar, so you get to eat in a smoke-free environment. I believe they also validate parking. They are located on 10th and Washington. They are the same owners as Amanda's.

Susan

the byo/full bar angle might be a factor here. do you want to have a drink? if so, do you mind BYOing?

i'm all up with curlz on the Jefferson, although it can get crowded even at the bar at 9.30 on a weekday. don't bank on a seat at the bar for a late dinner. because it's good. the gold standard for interesting italian food in hoboken, and jersey in general.

i'm with the Elysian. you have to order well there, or else you can end up with a very mediocre meal. no smoking is definitely a plus, as susan says. it's my new standard for drinks and a quick bite when i'm in hoboken.

hell i might be tempted to go to Lua for a some great apps and a great view of the city if i were on my own in hoboken for dinner.

how about Ted and Jo's for a quick bite that will not blow you away, but might introduce you to some of the local (old-school, even) charm of hoboken. or, if you're like me and you know the area, it might be a place to steer clear of. come to think of it it'll probably be packed at the bar every night, and that's no fun.

you can eat light practically anywhere. what else are we talking about here?

I haven't, but when I spoke with Michael a week or so ago, I said that I was hoping the place would remain as good as it was while he was there, b/c I really love everything about it. His response was that if the owners leave the guy in charge that HE left in charge, they'll do just fine. I trust Mike on that, but am also curious to hear if others have been there in the last month or so.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."