• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

RLB's baking blog

JeanneCake

I got an email today with information about Rose Levy Beranbaum's blog, called Realbakingwithrose.com; I spent a little time checking it out and it's interesting. It's sponsored by Gold Medal Flour, and has some recipes and links to baking sites (egullet among them).

In case you want to check it out: RLB's baking blog

How many food people could be so definitively identified by only their initials as in the title of this thread! Thanks for the link.

And if any of you have the chance, her TV series is well worth watching. It's all about the baking, no jazzed up "production" tricks. I like her dry, down to business attitude (Oh how sick I am of people's families and personal lives -and sometimes even their distinctive personalities. When I watch a cooking show. I want to see them bake/cook - and that's what RLB does. -And yes, I'm aware mine is a minority view and that's why she's only on my local stations once while Lydia Bastianich is played over and over again on all of them. Peace: I'm not slamming Lydia, only saying I'm only interested in what she cooks, not her family life.)

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

And I've never been able to see her PBS show! How frustrating. I've never been able to master tart dough (getting it to not shrink on the sides, I've tried so many formulas that I know it has to be me that's doing something wrong - and it could be the mixing, or maybe fitting it into the tart pan, or maybe I'm just a klutz at tart dough and should not even attempt this anymore!) and how I wish I could see that in action!!!

Maybe someone ... Annie? Wendy? please would someone do a demo thread on tart dough (pate sucree) so I can figure out what I'm doing wrong?

And I've never been able to see her PBS show!  How frustrating.  I've never been able to master tart dough (getting it to not shrink on the sides, I've tried so many formulas that I know it has to be me that's doing something wrong - and it could be the mixing, or maybe fitting it into the tart pan, or maybe I'm just a klutz at tart dough and should not even attempt this anymore!) and how I wish I could see that in action!!! 

Maybe someone ... Annie? Wendy? please  would someone do a demo thread on tart dough (pate sucree) so I can figure out what I'm doing wrong?

On her blog she says she responds personally to emails and gives a link. Why don't you pose your question to her directly?

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

Very cool! Thanks for the post JeanneCake. I've just recently started getting into the Cake Bible after tasting a fellow student's cake in a class I'm taking. I'm totally loving this book. I love all the why we do what we do sections. Sooo much info. :cool:

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

And I've never been able to see her PBS show!  How frustrating.  I've never been able to master tart dough (getting it to not shrink on the sides, I've tried so many formulas that I know it has to be me that's doing something wrong - and it could be the mixing, or maybe fitting it into the tart pan, or maybe I'm just a klutz at tart dough and should not even attempt this anymore!) and how I wish I could see that in action!!! 

Maybe someone ... Annie? Wendy? please  would someone do a demo thread on tart dough (pate sucree) so I can figure out what I'm doing wrong?

Have you read this thread and tried Annie's recipe? I've tried it a few times and haven't had the shrinkage problem.

Ilene