• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Whipping Siphons: Uses?

Okbrewer

I bought my wife a new toy for her birthday. NO! Not that kind....hmm, on second thought maybe... Anyway, it is a stainless steel cream whipper, the kind that uses those little N2O cartridges. So far, she likes it and we have had great fun with it, (don't go there!) but we have a question. What to do with the cartridges when they are expired!? It says on the box that they can be recycled, but does that mean the metal can be recyled or that they can be reused/refilled somehow? Or should we just toss them in the trash!? What do you all do with them?

Also, are there other ways that this neat tool can be employed other than just making whipped cream?

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!

Bob-

Those cream whippers are the tools that make all of the fancy flavoring foams used by lots of cooks nowadays. There are a bunch of threads on eG about foams and their first proponent Ferran Adria, so read up and figure out if the idea of whipping flavorful stuff into foam is the sort of garnishing you might want to do. The possibilities are endless, if you feel like experimenting.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

Lots of info on Foams!

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I've never looked at those little cartridges closely. Do you know what kind of metal they're made of? That would help determine the recycling possibilities.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I've checked MANY of the existing threads about foams, and there don't seem to be that many real recipes. They talk about the use of gelatin or cream, and whether or not the "trend" is dying, but very few recipes, and virtually none for savory foams. I, for one, would be interested in more specifics, if anyone cared to share.

Also, are there other ways that this neat tool can be employed other than just making whipped cream?

Heh. A college friend of mind had one of those things that took the little nitrous cartridges. Once in a very great while he did actually use it for making whipped cream, but the use to which it was more often put, while great fun at parties, is pretty much off-topic for eGullet ... :wink::laugh:

I'm guessing that the N2O cartridges are made of aluminum, it does not say anything on the packaging about the external construct, only the internal contents. It does have a "recycle" statement on the box. Guess I'll just put them in the recycle box and see if they get taken or left behind.

Again, any more RECIPES for foams or other such delights that can be made in the cream whipper?

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!

• 3 weeks later...

King Arthur has one in their catalogue on line. It's called Whip-It, and costs 59.95. I don't know anything about this brand, but this company is usually very careful about the quality of merchandise they sell.

When I have used one of these gizmos, I remember that it became clogged very often even when used every day. Also, it didn't taste exactly like cream whipped by hand or mixer, but rather too foamy. In the catalog picture, cream aerated by the Whip-It appears rather dense, not foamy.

Find it here: Whip-It Cream Whipper

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

• 3 years later...

Having a whipper means that you can make foams and espumas.

Basically any liquid can the thickened and dispensed through the whipper as a foamy sauce.

The thickeners have a generic name of hydrocolloids. I'd recommend a recipe collection on the website www.khymos.org ( http://www.khymos.org/recipe-collection.php ). This collection explains all the variants that you can use as well as other topics such as spherification, which fit outside the espumas and foams arena.

The home use of whippers has also been discussed in depth elsewhere on eGullet (see http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=47008 ).

Have fun!

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog