• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Parisienne aka Chocolate Whipped Cream Cake

ambra

Once you are happy that you are spot on with your recipe, I will definitely give it a go, because Victor Benes was my favourite bakery outside of Europe.

My favourite was the chocolate one which eventually I got the recipe by accident .

OK, if this bakery was all that and then some.... can you please post the recipe for the chocolate one you have? :biggrin: Thanks!

Yes Oli, could you? Or at least PM it?

Just remember that my favourite wine does that mean it will be your favourite.

Yes of course, I think that goes without saying :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: At least we know we all love chocolate!!

havent been here for so long and every thread looks and sounds so mouthwatering! i cant wait to try this cake as well =P i think ill go with the chiffon for this one since i have a recipe for a creamy light one. thank you God for making Chocolate!

sucks im so far away (philippines) that whenever you guys talk about restos in usa or europe..i cant get to it =c sometimes i go there but with limited transpo resources. oh well ill just dream about it =P

Desserts...just keeps getting better and fatter!

Once you are happy that you are spot on with your recipe, I will definitely give it a go, because Victor Benes was my favourite bakery outside of Europe.

My favourite was the chocolate one which eventually I got the recipe by accident .

OK, if this bakery was all that and then some.... can you please post the recipe for the chocolate one you have? :biggrin: Thanks!

Yes Oli, could you? Or at least PM it?

Okay, but promise me, you will also share your recipe?

Okay, here you go. This cake recipe is from Wendy. I don't use box mixes but this is the only way you are going to produce Benes like chocolate cake. I have done both fillings and of course the best is the mousse, but I use pudding when time is of the essence.

Use a chocolate pudding (not instant) filling (good and fast)or Alice Medrich's Chocolate Velvet Mousse which is what makes this cake great..

Chocolate Cake:

1 pkg. duncan heines (devils food flavor)

USE 2 9" round pans with paper on the bottom.

The batter should weight 1.2 3/4 lbs in each pan.

CHOCOLATE VELVET MOUSSE

Stiff & sliceable. Coffee optional. Good for filling charlottes or other molded desserts, also wonderful with

plain whipped cream & berries.

Serves eight. (makes about 4 1/2 cups)

From the Chocolat cookbook

12 oz semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate, cut into bits

2 tsp powdered instant coffee (not freeze-dried), dissolved in 1/4 c water

1/4 c Curacao or rum

2 egg yolks

4 egg whites, at room temp.

1/4 tsp cream of tartar

1 1/2 T sugar

1/2 c + 4T heavy cream

Melt chocolate, dissolved coffee, & Curacao or rum in a med. bowl set in a barely sim. pan of water. Stir frequently to hasten melting. Or, melt in a microwave on med. (50%) for about 2:15. Stir until smooth. When mixt. is warm & smooth, whisk in egg yolks & combine well. Remove from heat & set aside.

In a clean, dry mixing bowl, beat egg whites & cream of tartar on med. speed until soft peaks form.

Gradually sprinkle in 2 tbsp sugar, beating on high speed until stiff but not dry. Fold 1/4 of the egg

whites into chocolate mixt. to lighten it. Scrape all of the remaining whites on top of mousse & set aside

while you beat the cream. Beat cream until it holds its shape softly (do not beat until stiff).

Scrape whipped cream over egg whites & chocolate. Fold together until just incorporated. Spread the mousse

immediately on the layers of cake.

Don't refrig. cake otherwise the ganache will loose its sheen.

1 1/2 C heavy cream

3 T unsalted butter

22 ounces semisweet chocolate, broken into 1/2oz pieces.

Heat 1 1/2cups heavy cream & 3 T butter in a 2 1/2 qt. saucepan over med. high heat. Bring to a boil. Place 22 oz. of semisweet chocolate in a stainless steel bowl. Pour the boiling cream ove the chocolate and allow to stand for 5 min. Stir with a wooden spoon until smooth.

• 3 weeks later...

Oli, I am sorry I didn't see this earlier......

Thank you for posting the recipe. Unfortunately, I don't live in the US, so I can't use Duncan Hines... but I will find a devil's food recipe.

As for mine, I haven't made it again because I am about to give birth. When I do, I will post the recipe i choose. I think I am leaning towards a genoise? I think that's the name. I can however, highly recommend the chocolate whipped cream recipe from above... its divine.

Edited by ambra (log)

• 13 years later...
On 11/1/2008 at 5:58 PM, CanadianBakin' said:

Here's PH's formula from Chocolate Desserts:

1 1/2 cups (375 grams) heavy cream

1 Tbsp sugar

2 1/4 (65 grams) bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped

Basically same method as Alanamoana mentioned. I find if you first add just enough cream to cover the chocolate, mix it in with a spatula till smooth and then gradually add the rest of the cream you ensure that all the chocolate gets melted. Sometimes if you add all the cream at once you will sometimes have lots of tiny flecks of chocolate that won't melt so you don't get as smooth a texture.

And here I am 14 years later and I finally made the cake again!  The recipe for the cream above is truly foolproof!

The chocolate cream, which mixes with the chocolate shavings that are used as decoration is divine and tastes just like how I remember it....

We make it with a yellow cake inside, and I still haven't found the correct cake for that -- it needs to be super light and airy. This time, I did it with a basic "pan di spagna" recipe and it was fine, but it wasn't good either. 

Will try again soon. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1