• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Deep Fried Mars Bar

j_edge

All this halloween candy and nothing to do...have heard for some time about deep fried mars bars so figured I would try it myself. Breaded in AP flour, egg wash, and panko bread crumbs and deep fried to perfection in 30 seconds. Crunch exterior, warm and gooey interior. SUBLIME! Anyone know of any restaurants in Vancouver who has this on their menu??? It's a little "out there" but my was it delicious!!!

Jason Edge

Mill Street Cafe

Chilliwack, B.C.

All this halloween candy and nothing to do...have heard for some time about deep fried mars bars so figured I would try it myself.  Breaded in AP flour, egg wash, and panko  bread crumbs and deep fried to perfection in 30 seconds.  Crunch exterior, warm and gooey interior.  SUBLIME!  Anyone know of any restaurants in Vancouver who has this on their menu???  It's a little "out there"  but my was it delicious!!!

Deep Fried Mars Bars are available from Wing Nuts Wings on Main. See this thread for my write up and a photo.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

There was a small place in Steveston last summer that offered only deep fried goodies. But they would also be topped with ice cream and your choice of fudge, strawberry or caramel sauce; talk about a heart attack. I had a friend that went there a few times and would chat with the owner who told him, they would batter and deep fry anything he would like. Unfortunately this place didn’t last long, enough for me to visit, but I did hear it was pretty good.

^I went to that place in Steveston during the first week they opened. I think they were still working out the kinks, because the oil wasn't hot enough and the Mars bar emerged from the fryer virtually the same, but with a pale battered exterior. :laugh: I've had it at Winjammer's, but my friends say that the deep-fried Mars bars at WingNuts are better. :smile:

There was a small place in Steveston last summer that offered only deep fried goodies. But they would also be topped with ice cream and your choice of fudge, strawberry or caramel sauce; talk about a heart attack. I had a friend that went there a few times and would chat with the owner who told him, they would batter and deep fry anything he would like. Unfortunately this place didn’t last long, enough for me to visit, but I did hear it was pretty good.

I remember that they deep fried almost anything, including oreo cookies.

Unfortunately it is closed, and it has been replaced with a Greek restaurant now.

My son came home from lunch downtown with his friends one day a couple of months ago and said he'd had a deep-fried Mars Bar from some place on Denman. He couldn't remember the name of the restaurant, but he claimed the bar was delicious. I dunno. I like sugar, chocolate and fat as much as the next guy, but this strikes me as culinary overkill.

Paul B

Definitely, Wing Nuts is the place to go. Not only do they offer deep-friend Mars Bars, but deep-fried Snickers bars AND (my favorite) deep-fried Smores. Reminds me of that Simpsons episode where Moe transforms his bar into restarant where he specializes in deep-frying an entire table - food, cutlery, and all. I'm loathe to admit that if such a restaurant existed, I'd probably be there opening night.

www.josephmallozzi.wordpress.com

I remember that they deep fried almost anything, including oreo cookies.

Yup, I remember the oreo cookies being better than the Mars bar, since they had melted quite a bit in the fryer (being softer than the Mars bar, I guess). I thought the whipped cream and sauce were overkill, but the fried Oreos weren't bad.

Here's yet another WingNuts post. (They're all within scrolling distance of each other.)

To all who find the concept of a deep-fried candybar disgusting: I was right there with you. I am still right there with you. However, as disgusting as it may seem, it is also a very interesting taste sensation. Try it!

My son came home from lunch downtown with his friends one day a couple of months ago and said he'd had a deep-fried Mars Bar from some place on Denman.  He couldn't remember the name of the restaurant, but  he claimed the bar was delicious.  I dunno.  I like sugar, chocolate and fat as much as the next guy, but this strikes me as culinary overkill.

Mr. Pickwick's perhaps?

Barrett Jones - 49th Parallel Coffee Roasters

Dwell Time - my coffee and photography site