• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kosher places near Highland Park?

Pam R

I'll be in NY for KosherFest in a couple of weeks and will be staying on in the Highland Park area for a few days. As this is a 'business trip' I'd really love to try to hit as many kosher places as I can - both restaurants and food stores.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

It's been well over a decade since I've eaten in Highland Park so I don't have any recommendations, but I suggest you check out the Shop-Rite in Edison. They have a "Kosher Experience" that's supposedly amazing.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

It's been well over a decade since I've eaten in Highland Park so I don't have any recommendations, but I suggest you check out the Shop-Rite in Edison.  They have a "Kosher Experience" that's supposedly amazing.

What exactly is a "Kosher Experience"? Do you know of any Shop-Rites in Northern NJ that have this section?

It's been well over a decade since I've eaten in Highland Park so I don't have any recommendations, but I suggest you check out the Shop-Rite in Edison.  They have a "Kosher Experience" that's supposedly amazing.

What exactly is a "Kosher Experience"? Do you know of any Shop-Rites in Northern NJ that have this section?

The Englewood, NJ Shop Rite has one of the largest Kosher sections in the state.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

The Englewood, NJ Shop Rite has one of the largest Kosher sections in the state.

Englewood is lame compared to Edison according to Blovie -- who's shopped at both. Whereas Englewood is one aisle, and a fish counter the Edison one is like a store within a store complete with butchers on staff.

The Shop-Rite in Elizabeth has an improving kosher section, although I'm not sure whether the intention is to have it as vast as Edison.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Last summer, when I first moved here to the Freehold NJ area, I was happy to find the 'Kosher Experience' aisles of the local Shop Rite. They carry kosher Haribo gummies! The local kosher market that I found a few towns South of me doesn't, and the local candy man said that he can't get them for some reason. They always have decent cookies, too. Foodtown has a kosher aisle, too. So does Pathmark, it's nice to have that choice! In Florida the large markets had smaller areas of kosher specific items, and they usually were simply soups and the obligatory Manischewitz/Rokeach stuff. These places have the Israeli stuff I would need to go to a kosher market for in South Beach.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

There used to be a Jerusalem Pizza restaurant in Highland Park.

It's still there. 231 Raritan Ave. I've never tried it, but when we were in Highland Park a few weeks ago, I noticed a sign in the window stating that they serve falafel as well.

There is a kosher butcher shop in Highland Park, but I can't remember the name. There's a Foodtown on Raritan Ave., in the middle of town. I've never been inside, but since there is such a big Jewish population, I would presume they would have lots of kosher products.

The glatt kosher deli that used to be on Raritan Ave. is gone. The nearest (not glatt) kosher deli to Highland Park that I can think of is Lox, Stock and Deli, in East Brunswick. Same ownership as Jesse & David's, in Manalapan, which we've been going to for ages.