• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good bistrots for 6 & 10 persons

John Talbott

A bashful member asked me the following question which I thought interesting enough to post.

“I am going to Paris in mid-November with a large group and have the responsibility of hosting 3 dinners (2 parties of 6 and 1 party of 10).  We are staying in the 7th and would appreciate suggestions for restaurants in the 6th and 7th.  We are looking for great quality Bistros - not over the top expensive restaurants.  Suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks.”

Well, I’ll spare you the mini-lecture on how one shouldn’t be restricted to one quartier or other because almost any place in Paris is reachable in 20-45 minutes; nor get into a favorite debate on this Forum – “What is a bistrot?”

Instead, here are my thoughts for a place where 10 of you can talk and be heard and not disturb others too much:

Au Bon Acceuil which has a small room that should seat 10

Bastide Odeon, where upstairs there is probably room for 10 and if not crowded - you’ll be alone.

As for 6 of you; the options widen and include:

Maison du Jardin, the table to the right of the door against the window,

Ze Kitchen Galerie, the table in the back corner against the window, where the friends of M. Ledeuil usually dine.

Mediteranee on the porch at the far end (West end)

Other places where I’m afraid 6 would overwhelm the place are Cinq Mars, Les Papilles + Wadja. I’d also consider Auberge Bressane for special mention, simply because it’s the most classic bistro look in the 6th or 7th I know of, altho’ the food is not up to the atmosphere.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

A bashful member asked me the following question which I thought interesting enough to post.
“I am going to Paris in mid-November with a large group and have the responsibility of hosting 3 dinners (2 parties of 6 and 1 party of 10).  We are staying in the 7th and would appreciate suggestions for restaurants in the 6th and 7th.  We are looking for great quality Bistros - not over the top expensive restaurants.  Suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks.”

Well, I’ll spare you the mini-lecture on how one shouldn’t be restricted to one quartier or other because almost any place in Paris is reachable in 20-45 minutes; nor get into a favorite debate on this Forum – “What is a bistrot?”

Instead, here are my thoughts for a place where 10 of you can talk and be heard and not disturb others too much:

Au Bon Acceuil which has a small room that should seat 10

Bastide Odeon, where upstairs there is probably room for 10 and if not crowded - you’ll be alone.

As for 6 of you; the options widen and include:

Maison du Jardin, the table to the right of the door against the window,

Ze Kitchen Galerie, the table in the back corner against the window, where the friends of M. Ledeuil usually dine.

Mediteranee on the porch at the far end (West end)

Other places where I’m afraid 6 would overwhelm the place are Cinq Mars, Les Papilles + Wadja. I’d also consider Auberge Bressane for special mention, simply because it’s the most classic bistro look in the 6th or 7th I know of, altho’ the food is not up to the atmosphere.

Thanks for the response John - I'll take your advice about not restricting ourselves to a specific district and ask you if there are any Bistros that are high on your list in other parts of Paris. Vine

Other places where I’m afraid 6 would overwhelm the place are Cinq Mars, Les Papilles + Wadja.

I don't have time to post suggestions for the moment, but wanted to add that I had dinner for six at Les Papilles and they gave us a round table which was off by itself, so they can accommodate six without a problem. Also, I think—and could be wrong—that I remember seeing a table for 8 or so downstairs. Non?

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

Thanks for the response John - I'll take your advice about not restricting ourselves to a specific district and ask you if there are any Bistros that are high on your list in other parts of Paris. Vine

For this I would encourage you do go to past threads, say this one, as well as John Whiting's website and the Digests of 2004 and 2005.

John Talbott

• 1 month later...

Amber Garrison, in this week's Postcards from Paris mentions places in which to host 15 people, thus, I thought I'd add them to this thread - she suggests Les Portes, 15, rue de Charonne in the 11th, 01.40.21.70.61, about 20-30 E without wine, open everyday and the Chalet des Iles in the middle of a lake in the Bois de Boulogne in the 16th, 01.42.88.04.69, open every day. I have eaten at neither so I'm just passing this on.

John Talbott

John, when we visited Les Papilles last month they were serving a multigenerational party of around 12 in a basement dining room. The no choice menu actually lends itself to serving a large table. The staff seemed to handle service to both the downstairs party and upstairs dining room without hitch or delays.

In addition, there is a table for 6, maybe 8, in the very back of the street level dining room on a kind of dais or elevated nook. We have seen several festive parties at that table.

eGullet member #80.

John, when we visited Les Papilles last month they were serving a multigenerational party of around 12 in a basement dining room.  The no choice menu actually lends itself to serving a large table.  The staff seemed to handle service to both the downstairs party and upstairs dining room without hitch or delays.

In addition, there is a table for 6, maybe 8, in the very back of the street level dining room on a kind of dais or elevated nook.  We have seen several festive parties at that table.

Correct, indeed, I think in making my way to bathrooms either up or downstairs I frequently see such space(s) but I rarely make note of them. One great room that is perfect now (eg in game season) is the second floor room seating 6-10 persons at Le Petit Colombier.

John Talbott

John, when we visited Les Papilles last month they were serving a multigenerational party of around 12 in a basement dining room.  The no choice menu actually lends itself to serving a large table.  The staff seemed to handle service to both the downstairs party and upstairs dining room without hitch or delays.

In addition, there is a table for 6, maybe 8, in the very back of the street level dining room on a kind of dais or elevated nook.  We have seen several festive parties at that table.

Correct, indeed, I think in making my way to bathrooms either up or downstairs I frequently see such space(s) but I rarely make note of them. One great room that is perfect now (eg in game season) is the second floor room seating 6-10 persons at Le Petit Colombier.

Just got back from 10 days in Paris.

We ate at the following places:

Au Bon Accueil - Dinner for 10 - everyone was blown away by the food and service. Good wine list. Highly recommended.

L'Amis Jean - Dinner for 8 - very informal and friendly - the place was absolutely buzzing. Waiter selected a number of small dishes for starters for the table - everything from a basket of sausage varierties to grilled pieces of quail. Mains were well received. Limited wine list. This was a fun spot! Highly recommended.

Bistro Stella - Dinner for 4 - the service and reception at this Bistro is outstanding. Food's very good too. Large selection of Oysters with a limited but passable wine list. My grilled Sole with Frites was superb. Highly recommended.

Chez George - dinner for 6 - the most "Parisian" of the Bistros we went to. Rather spartan surroundings without the "buzz or positive hustle" of L'Ami Jean or Stella; nor the "sophistication" of Au Bon. Food and wine list were passable. I'd personally give this a pass in future.

La Butte Chaillot - dinner for 4 - a Guy Savoy baby bistro and a major disapointment. Maybe it was disadvantaged because it was a Sunday night, but our server seemed totally disinterested in the whole process and the food didn't make up for the service. Wine list is limited and expensive. Based on our evening, this spot is off the list.

If you are going to be in Paris I would highly recommend you consider the top 3 Bistros mentioned above.

Enjoy.

Vine