• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Chocolate

Olive Oil King

Just one more quick question  :smile: , what do you think of caullbaut?  Is it any good?

I have baked with pretty much every chocolate, from Baker's to Valrhona. I've also used just about every cocoa that is made. In my humble opinion, Callebaut is a fine, simple chocolate and is an excellent value. I'd say the same about their cocoa. I love Valrhona too, especially Caraibe, but to me the price just is not worth the difference in taste. The exotic notes that Valrhona is known for are completely lost on most people, and actually is not what most people want.

Vinfidel:

i can agree somewhat with vanilla extract if it is real vanilla extract not the chemicals sold in the supermarkets

The chemical in artificial vanilla is vanillan. The dominant flavor compound in vanilla extract is vanillan. Vanillan is vanillan regardless of whether it is created synthetically or extracted from a vanilla bean. That leaves the question of how big an effect that non-vanillan stuff in real vanilla extract contributes to the flavor. The blind taste test done by Cook's Illustrated, as well as the experience of several people on the pastry and baking forum, reveals that the answer is "little to nothing." I have yet to see or even hear of any blind test in which artificial versus natural extracts can be reliably distinguished in baked goods. Until I see a blind test that directly contradicts the results I've seen so far, I provisionally hold that the superiority of real extract is just another culinary myth.

Beans and powder and definitely superior to any extract, IMHO. But I would only spend the money to use beans where vanilla is the star, like vanilla creme brulee, or vanilla ice cream, or vanilla cake.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh