• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

keeping tart shells crisp

MightyD

If you are talking about pre-baking and then filling, which I assume you are, you can brush the insides with egg white prior to baking, which forms a seal and should help. Or a bit of melted sugar - on the way to caramel but not colored unless you wanted it to be, of course.

I would think that glaze or jam might work for a little while, but they contain moisture as well, so might not hold up as long as you would like.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

Brush on melted caramel in a very thin layer. It will melt from any juice extruded from the tart filling, depending on the filling.

He who distinguishes the true savor of his food can never be a glutton; he who does not cannot be otherwise. --- Henry David Thoreau

Or a bit of melted sugar - on the way to caramel but not colored unless you wanted it to be, of course.

I would think that glaze or jam might work for a little while, but they contain moisture as well, so might not hold up as long as you would like.

I'm fairly sure that melted sugar or caramel would liquify in the presence of whatever filling was in the tart shell...I don't think it would make a good barrier at all.

Jam too, does nothing to keep a tart shell crisp.

I have brushed the insides of unbaked tart shells with egg whites, then baked, but also found it to be virtually ineffective in preventing sog as well.

I have yet to find anything that works as well as white chocolate or dark chocolate. :wink:

Edited by chefpeon (log)

I haven't tried that, but it should definately work MightyD. It's about equal to adding a thin coat of wax.................. no flavor.

I'd rather use white chocolate instead of cocoa butter.

Try brushing on some mycryo while the shell is still warm this way you get a thin but very protective layer that is almost flavorless. This works very well

Par bake the shells, then egg wash with a mixture of 100 grams yolks & 10 grams heavy cream. The tart shells will keep for 48 hours easily.

Always speak your mind. Those who mind don't matter and those who matter won't mind.

yeah, thought about using a nut crust but is not very cost-efficient for me right now.

so far, i'm kinda leaning towards the cocoa butter thing - am trying to keep the flavors as pure as possible except when i'm actually making chocolate tarts!

drewman - do you pop the tart shells back into the oven after egg-washing them? do they leave a noticeable "skin"?