• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Silverware for the fish course

I_call_the_duck

I always understood it was vulgar to have the cutlery for more than three courses on the table at once. If you have more than three courses the silveware is brought in with the course, or the table turned for desert.

Miss Manners (Judith Martin) says it better than I can

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0393058743...%3D#reader-page

The Victorians were "conspicuous consumers" to the Nth degree. The aristocracy and upper classes set the fashion - it was the middle classes imitating them to excess that was considered vulgar. (By the upper classes.)

This book

has a great deal of illustration and explanation of how the Victorians justified having all these diverse and unusual table utensils.

Here in the US the latter part of the Victorian era and the Edwardian era was referred to as "The Guilded Age" - according to some writers, Mark Twain coined this term.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I can see high-end restaurants serving specific breads (or brioche etc) with each course especially to harmonise with and mop up the sauce...

Jackal, Hi.....

Try Alain Ducasse in Monte Carlo where they feel that matching breads with courses is as important as matching wines.

I can see high-end restaurants serving specific breads (or brioche etc) with each course especially to harmonise with and mop up the sauce...

Jackal, Hi.....

Try Alain Ducasse in Monte Carlo where they feel that matching breads with courses is as important as matching wines.

In a little different direction---I never cease to be amazed at the quality Italian restaurants, serving excellent osso buco that do not offer a marrow spoon. The marrow is a major part of the meal.

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

Jon: What is your source for this statement?

Forks are a comparatively recent invention - 17th century.

Its an old waiters textbook I have lying around. "Modern Restaurant Service" I think

Lots of useful stuff like how to tie napkins and which side of the punter to serve from yaddayaddayadda

By "olden" days meant Victorian/preware rather than medieval or anything

ta

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

actually in france these days many restaurants still keep the backs of silverware facing up. i think the idea is that there is less contact between tablecloth and silver this way. (altho if the backs are facing down towards the table, the points of the silver (points of fork tines and the tip of the spoon) are not touching the table.....and this i imagine is preferable, in theory)

my $.02

Here's the link to the LA Times Food Section Digest (28 Sept. 2005)

A letter was written in response to an LA Times article:

Here's the scoop on sauce spoon

I thought you might enjoy some history on the creation of the sauce spoon ["Sauce Spoon Sighting!" Aug. 24].

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...