• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Attn: ALL NJ Egulleters-I need your eyes.

ejebud

Not sure of the square footage, but there is a restaurant available for lease on Northfield Avenue, West Orange, diagonally across from the Turtle Back Zoo/South Mtn Arena. It used to be Slaviskiya (sp?) Bazaar, before that it was an Italian place and before that , I think a Kenny Rogers Roasters. It had a drive through window which may be blocked off from the inside, but the drive trhough lane and outdoor window are  still visible.

I'd love an alternative to  McDonalds -- would a drivethrough be feasible for Amazing Hot Dog?

The old Kenny Rodgers Roasters/Slavanski Bazaar site is HUGE!! I think the area of northfield is Death Valley for any REAL good food places; although the Joy Luck has been there for a while. I think the only think that would do well there is a dual fast food concept like KFC/Pizza Hut express like they have in Florham Park. I personally would love to see a White Castle(ducks!!) there so I don't have to schlepp to Orange.

Eric

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Not sure of the square footage, but there is a restaurant available for lease on Northfield Avenue, West Orange, diagonally across from the Turtle Back Zoo/South Mtn Arena. It used to be Slaviskiya (sp?) Bazaar, before that it was an Italian place and before that , I think a Kenny Rogers Roasters. It had a drive through window which may be blocked off from the inside, but the drive trhough lane and outdoor window are  still visible.

I'd love an alternative to  McDonalds -- would a drivethrough be feasible for Amazing Hot Dog?

The old Kenny Rodgers Roasters/Slavanski Bazaar site is HUGE!! I think the area of northfield is Death Valley for any REAL good food places; although the Joy Luck has been there for a while. I think the only think that would do well there is a dual fast food concept like KFC/Pizza Hut express like they have in Florham Park. I personally would love to see a White Castle(ducks!!) there so I don't have to schlepp to Orange.

Eric

Does anyone what is going in across from the JCC on Northfield? It is not built yet, so it does not quite meet your criteria, but that would be a much more viable spot.

AlisonA

Still searching for hash browns in Jersey.

May I suggest the corner of Livingston Ave & Rt 10.  It used to have a bunch of small stores and I heard they always have space in that area and it's hopping during the lunch time.  It's Livingston and they have openings for places all the time!

Have you seen what is going on there? Huge downtown rebuild with VERY high end stores. HUGE RENTS!!

Thanks for the suggestion tho.

I'd think more around Cafe Serene would have lower rents, but not sure anything is available there (except the wireless phone place with limited parking).

AlisonA

Eric

Does anyone what is going in across from the JCC on Northfield? It is not built yet, so it does not quite meet your criteria, but that would be a much more viable spot.

AlisonA

They are building million dollar townhomes across from the JCC.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Eric

AlisonA

They are building million dollar townhomes across from the JCC.

Guess they might be interested in a hot dog joint then :raz:

Too bad, would have been a good commerical spot.

AlisonA

Just curious- how does Mardi Gras manage to cook their wares without offending the neighbors? Also, didn't the Japanese restaurant formerly in that spot serve any hot foods? Why weren't there problems with them? This whole thing seems ridiculous.

Please reiterate, when is the board meeting when this will come up?

Just curious- how does Mardi Gras manage to cook their wares without offending the neighbors? Also, didn't the Japanese restaurant formerly in that spot serve any hot foods? Why weren't there problems with them? This whole thing seems ridiculous.

Please reiterate, when is the board meeting when this will come up?

I have been asked to keep this "on topic" which means only post things pertaining to available locations or suggested areas to look in. I will answer your questions about the the town residents and the zoning board meeting via PM. And PLEASE, still send other comments and opinions via PM or email me at ejebud@gmail.com

Sorry, I want to avoid this post being deleted.

Eric

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Urban Trend in Maplewood Village just closed. Not sure it is big enough though.

Also, Main Street South Orange has a listing of available storefronts here:

http://www.mainstreetsouthorange.org/

http://www.mainstreetsouthorange.org/availprops.php

Here is something listed in South Orange: (from the Main Street SO site)

307 Irvington Avenue (restaurant space)

2,500 sf available. Turnkey operation; close to

Seton Hall University. Short walk to center of town.

Edited by SueWho321 (log)

This may be too small, but TICO'S,  221 Main Street in Chatham has a sign up  saying they will be closing.  I didn't get to read the details when I drove by today. 

AlisonA

Thanks Alison, I went to the Tax office and got the address of the tax payer. I sent him a letter a week or so ago and haven't heard anything as of yet. I saw a great space in a cruddy neighborhood today-- Freeman st in west Orange. Was an ice cream parlor down the street from Genciarelli's Pizza, across from the

Finish Line car wash. 2000 sq ft for 1600 a month!! If the area was just a wee bit nicer I would consider it. I may show it to my partner on Monday just for the hell of it.

Eric

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Don't know if you'd come this "far," but I just noticed a small place for rent here in Lyndhurst today...it's on Stuyvesant Avenue, just after you go under the train trestle--in between Kingsland Meats (really) and a dry cleaner. Lots of parking and lots of kids in the area--that's for sure. And you'd be right next to the train station, which believe it or not, sees a lot of action!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Don't know if you'd come this "far," but I just noticed a small place for rent here in Lyndhurst today...it's on Stuyvesant Avenue, just after you go under the train trestle--in between Kingsland Meats (really) and a dry cleaner.  Lots of parking and lots of kids in the area--that's for sure.  And you'd be right next to the train station, which believe it or not, sees a lot of action!

Thanks Curlz, It's going on the list of Must see's Probably see it tomorrow.

Eric

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Don't know if you'd come this "far," but I just noticed a small place for rent here in Lyndhurst today...it's on Stuyvesant Avenue, just after you go under the train trestle--in between Kingsland Meats (really) and a dry cleaner.  Lots of parking and lots of kids in the area--that's for sure.  And you'd be right next to the train station, which believe it or not, sees a lot of action!

Thanks Curlz, It's going on the list of Must see's Probably see it tomorrow.

Eric

BTW is it an existing restaurant space?

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

No...former travel agency, iirc. If you only want spaces that have been restaurants, don't bother with that one--although there may be a few other spots in town; I'll check this week. And fwiw, the only other places in those few blocks are pizzerias (we have a glut of them).

If you are coming to look at this place, take 3 East to the Riverside Ave exit (first one after the exits for Rt. 21). End of the exit, you're facing the side of a BK; turn left, and at the light, turn right at 1:00 (not 3)--in between the Sunoco and the bank. Less than 1/2 mile, you'll pass under the RR tracks and it's the 2nd store in on the right. Parking on/around that block is always easy--esp if you turn left or right immediately after the tracks.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

You could always try asking a "working" place if they are willing to sell you their place/business. It may be the perfect opportunity for a place that's a little run down or someone that wants to retire.

You could always try asking a "working" place if they are willing to sell you their place/business. It may be the perfect opportunity for a place that's a little run down or someone that wants to retire.

We have been discussing this idea as our next plan of attack. Just start handing out business cards to owners of places that we find desireable. Thanks for the suggestion!!

Eric

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

In Montclair, Danny's Pizza Deli, corner of Forest & Chestnut, is now officially out of business.

I drive by this place couple times a week, was wondering about its status, whether they just kept odd hours. Today was the first day I saw the windows papered over & a prominent CLOSED sign on the door.

Place is in a residential area, 2 blocks from Montclair High, more or less across the street from a lower-grade school or two.

Drive thru around lunchtime, you'll find a hot dog truck parked at Chestnut & Park.

Place seems ideal for the school trade, hard to imagine why they folded, unless they just lost touch with what kids want these days.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Freeman st in west Orange.  Was an ice cream parlor down the street from Genciarelli's Pizza, across from the

Finish Line car wash.  2000 sq ft for 1600 a month!!  If the area was just a wee bit nicer I would consider it.  I may show it to my partner on Monday just for the hell of it. 

Eric

Gencarellis Pizza was supposed to be moving to Orange or Newark from the Freeman St West Orange location... have they moved yet, or have plans changed?

How would the Gencarellis space work for you?

Edited by SueWho321 (log)

Freeman st in west Orange.  Was an ice cream parlor down the street from Genciarelli's Pizza, across from the

Finish Line car wash.  2000 sq ft for 1600 a month!!  If the area was just a wee bit nicer I would consider it.  I may show it to my partner on Monday just for the hell of it. 

Eric

Gencarellis Pizza was supposed to be moving to Orange or Newark from the Freeman St West Orange location... have they moved yet, or have plans changed?

Sue, I'm concerned that the area would not produce enough volume for us. There is also the ice cream place 2 doors down from them that would make a GREAT hot dog space, but again not enough volume. Too bad though, because the 2000 sq ft is available for a rediculous $1600 a month!! BTW, Gencarellis bought a larger restaurant on Bloomfield Ave in Newark-Some famously old place that I forget the name of right now.

Eric

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Eric

Sue, I'm concerned that the area would not produce enough volume for us. There is also the ice cream place 2 doors down from them that would make a GREAT hot dog space, but again not enough volume. Too bad though, because the 2000 sq ft is available for a rediculous $1600 a month!! BTW, Gencarellis bought a larger restaurant on Bloomfield Ave in Newark-Some famously old place that I forget the name of right now.

Eric

Vesuvius

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 3 weeks later...