• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seeking restaurant for 15

tarteausucre

Hey,

I'm looking to organize a dinner for ~15 people in a fairly "cool" "higher-end" restaurant with a good seafood selection, preferably one that won't force us to use a set menu. I'm having trouble finding one. I'd also rather not go to one that the group has gone to before. Has anyone tried the Quay Lounge?

Ones off the list already are:

LIFT

Cardero's

Sandbar

Coast

Nu

Provence Marinaside

Feenie's

Anyone?

"There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea."

~ Henry James, The Portrait of a Lady

Tara Lee

Literary and Culinary Rambles

http://literaryculinaryrambles.blogspot.com

I'd consider: Chambar and Wild Rice. Both have some seafoods and are "cool" rooms with great service. The nice thing about Chambar is that the seafood if "Ocean Wise" certified.

The Quay is a nice room but I'm not overly impressed by the seafood. I'm curious why Coast and Nu are off your list?

Cheers,

Stephen

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Oh ... Chambar and Nu are off my list since I've spoken to both of them and they can only take us at around 5:00 pm on the weekend I want. Coast is off the list because the group's dined there recently. Would love to have the dinner at any of the three but circumstances prevent it.

Bluewater might work. Hadn't thought of them.

"There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea."

Tara Lee

Oh ... Chambar and Nu are off my list since I've spoken to both of them and they can only take us at around 5:00 pm on the weekend I want.  Coast is off the list because the group's dined there recently.  Would love to have the dinner at any of the three but circumstances prevent it.

Bluewater might work.  Hadn't thought of them.

Savory Coast would be at the top of my list. Fresh fresh seafood, excellent service ad if the weather holds, the patio is fabulous.

Gastronomista

Why not come to Joe Fortes? There has been a vast improvement in the food in the past 1-2years. Whereas the food is very simply prepared, you will not find fresher seafood anywhere in Vancouver and the seafood towers are great! Of course I'm slightly biased. :rolleyes:

Derek

Hey,

I'm looking to organize a dinner for ~15 people in a fairly "cool" "higher-end" restaurant with a good seafood selection, preferably one that won't force us to use a set menu.  I'm having trouble finding one.  I'd also rather not go to one that the group has gone to before.  Has anyone tried the Quay Lounge?

Ones off the list already are:

LIFT

Cardero's

Sandbar

Coast

Nu

Provence Marinaside

Feenie's

Anyone?

How about ShiruBay ChopStick Cafe in Yaletown.

They have a HUGE table that comfortably seats 15.

Wen

Hey. if this is self shilling hour cuz' Arne is away.

I have a private dining room that will seat your group and you can have what ever you like as long as we create the menu beforehand.

And it has it's own bar

Neil

Edited by nwyles (log)

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Hey. if this is self shilling hour cuz' Arne is away.

I ahve a private dining room that will seat your group and you can have what ever you like as long as we create the menu beforehand.

An it has it's own bar

Neil

not to mention the room is beautiful

Why not consider a private room at Imperial Chinese. Great room with great multi-lingual service staff and really fresh seafood and a change from all the western restaurants mentioned in this thread.

Cheers,

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Oh ... Chambar and Nu are off my list since I've spoken to both of them and they can only take us at around 5:00 pm on the weekend I want.  Coast is off the list because the group's dined there recently.  Would love to have the dinner at any of the three but circumstances prevent it.

They have a nice private room, as well. They also have excellent non-seafood options. Frank Pabst was my first favourite chef in Vancouver, when he was at Bistro Pastis. My budget doesn't let me eat at Blue Water often, but what I have had there since he's been has been excellent.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

They have a nice private room, as well. They also have excellent non-seafood options. Frank Pabst was my first favourite chef in Vancouver, when he was at Bistro Pastis. My budget doesn't let me eat at Blue Water often, but what I have had there since he's been has been excellent.

I can also vouch for the private dining room at Bluewater. It's a lovely (and quiet) space and chef will work with you. I'd suggest plateaux de mer to begin, some of Yoshi's excellent sushi to continue, and then mains from the menu, if you can handle that quantity. Then just fresh fruit and cheese to finish.

Cioppino's Enoteca now has three private rooms. We've had several private dinners there recently; always beautifully choreographed and some excellent fish dishes. If you speak politely, they might also do some rotisserie chicken for some of the mains--normally only available at lunch.

Cheers,

Jamie

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to thank everyone for their kind and thoughtful responses to my question. All the suggestions were excellent but in the end, I could not resist the call of what is Nu! I landed up booking for a slightly later time when the kitchen can accomodate us.

The other restaurants suggested will have to wait for other eating extravaganzas to come. I'll be sure to report back after the dinner.

Tara Lee