• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seeking information on chocolate mold

Capouch

I purchased this mold recently on eBay, and have been having a spirited discussion about it with the vendor.  

I am curious about the irregular edges on the piece, which look to me like the result of the application of a pair of metal snips to a larger mold.

Does anyone recognize this mold, and can comment on whether or not this is, in fact, the way the mold would have looked when originally fabricated?

Thank you in advance for any information you might be able to provide. 

20230330_171907.jpg

There are companies out there that make metal copies of old molds - this could be one of them. It could also be that somewhere along the line someone bought a bunch of stampings from a company that made metal molds before they were trimmed and put together.  

I have some little metal molds like that, I think from the '70s. As I understand it, the manufacturers sent to the stores to try them and see the details in the chocolate figure, and then decided if they wanted to buy the plastic mold.

This metal mold looks damaged, they are steel and do not bend easily.

Edited by Elkyfr (log)