• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hoboken Shop Rite Cooking Classes

markk

At the Shop Rite of Hoboken (which is a beautiful store) they have a cooking class once a week. They bring in this portable demo kitchen that's got a full cooking area with mirrors above it so people in the "class" can see, and it's got stools (just like Emeril's set, actually) for some of the participants to sit at and eat what they've cooked - it's quite the set up (they clear the food court and set it up there).

Has anybody been to one here (or at another Shop Rite)?

It's featured on their site Shop Rite website, but it can't be linked to directly, so on the left in the Customer Center section, you have to click on "Culinary Workshop".

I'm curious if anybody has taken one of the classes, what's it like?

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

The shop rite in Hackettstown has a full time demo 'kitchen.' At $20 a class (and the fact that it's Shop Rite) I get the feeling that these courses are geared to people that know very very little about food. That's my feeling.

...(and the fact that it's Shop Rite)...

I gather that Shop Rites very greatly. The one in Hoboken is a beautiful, and rather high-end store, in that it's spotlessly clean and bright, there's a high-end meat dept. with foie gras (D'Artagnan) and really nice cuts of veal and organic beef, and there's a very high-end fish department with beautiful things like whole snappers and tilefish and things like that, and a sort of separate organic produce area, as well as an entire organic aisle.

And I've been in some that are just slums.

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

About the cooking classes at the Hoboken ShopRite.....I'm the culinary instructor for the Hoboken Culinary Workshops ! As Markk said, this ShopRite is more up-scale and has a lot of interesting foods - their cheese department is one of the best I've seen in a supermarket. Approximately 50 ShopRite's in the tri-state area have the Culinary Workshops all taught by experienced culinary professionals. If you go to www.shoprite.com and click on the link to Culinary Workshops you can see the new Fall Schedules of classes as well as the bios of the instructors.

What I like in the Hoboken store is that the meat department carries a large portion of the D'Artagnan line. They have the fresh whole Pekin ducks, and the individual raw magrets (moulard duck breast), and the fabulous ready-to-crisp-and-eat Confit de Canard, and they usually have the raw foie gras slices (two slices cryovaced to a card), and the various terrines and sausages, and the little tube of foie-gras mousse.

Now THAT's upscale !!

They also have a very great wine store. It's run by the guy (in case anybody remembers) who used to own the free-standing Shop Rite Liquors on Bergenline Ave. by the park in North Bergen (maybe that was W. NY.) in the 80's. The selection of wines is quite fabulous.

Caldwell isn't on the list. Neither is Livingston. :angry:

I've never seen any brochures about these classes. Are there any and how long has Shop Rite been offering the Culinary Workshops?

Hi Rosie,

The printed Fall brochure should be in the stores that have Culinary Workshops in approx. 10 days. The program has been in existance for about 6 years.

If you like, I'll mail you a brochure when it's available.