• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Perfect for Pizza Clubbers

Rich Pawlak

From today's Trenton Times Food section:

Pizza Eating Contest!

I betcha Tom Cassetta or any of us could take down the "Black Widow."

I wonder whose pizza will be utilized....

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Ohmigosh! Mrbigjas, Tom or Herbacidal would be considered formidable competition. I've seen these boys put away some pie.

I was planning to attend the Tomato Festival anyway that day. This could be some good incentive to go!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

i'm afraid you've fallen victim to a common misperception, katie--mistaking my enthusiasm for ability. i can't actually eat all that much. imagine cookie monster, how excited he gets for cookies, but if you watch closely they all go flying everywhere and he doesn't actually get that many in his mouth. it's kinda like that for me.

but i'll probably run into you at the festival.

... i can't actually eat all that much.  imagine cookie monster, how excited he gets for cookies, but if you watch closely they all go flying everywhere and he doesn't actually get that many in his mouth.  it's kinda like that for me.

It's true, remember how he was raving about Shola's smoked white beans? Jeeze you should have seen the area around where he was sitting: beans everywhere, as well as rice, smears of foie gras, little scraps of Berkshire Pork... it was like a Jackson Pollack painting.

Oh, no, wait, that wasn't jas, that was me... sorry. Nevermind...

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Ohmigosh!  Mrbigjas, Tom or Herbacidal would be considered formidable competition.  I've seen these boys put away some pie.

I was planning to attend the Tomato Festival anyway that day.  This could be some good incentive to go!

Nah, I doubt we're even close to decent competition. That girl can put it away.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Watching the Black Widow eat is like seeing the face of God--the Old Testament lightning-flashing vengeance-wreaking God. It's a terrible and wondrous thing.

Ohmigosh!  Mrbigjas, Tom or Herbacidal would be considered formidable competition.  I've seen these boys put away some pie.

I was planning to attend the Tomato Festival anyway that day.  This could be some good incentive to go!

Nah, I doubt we're even close to decent competition. That girl can put it away.

Watching the Black Widow eat is like seeing the face of God--the Old Testament lightning-flashing vengeance-wreaking God.  It's a terrible and wondrous thing. 

yeah, if you saw wing bowl two years ago, you got a taste (so to speak) of what she can do. it's really really impressive. really.

OK, OK. I didn't realize this woman was that serious. But I still think we have to be there to watch. I'll post in the ISO thread and see who else wants to go play at the tomato fest.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Watching the Black Widow eat is like seeing the face of God--the Old Testament lightning-flashing vengeance-wreaking God.  It's a terrible and wondrous thing. 

yeah, if you saw wing bowl two years ago, you got a taste (so to speak) of what she can do. it's really really impressive. really.

If the pizza is Delorenzo's of Hudson St., or that of Top Road Tavern in North Trenton, I can take the Black Widow.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

While I enjoy a good pizza and have been known to consume more than the average person, I prefer to enjoy my pizza eating experience removed from competitive competition. I'm not comfortable performing pizza eating techniques while strangers look on in stunned belief. Friends are no problem, strangers are a whole other story. I have to draw the line somewhere. However, I would watch others eat pizza in such a contest. Does this make me a pizza voyeur and if should the authorities notify my neighbors?

-Tom

------------

CASETTA

"selling fame in fifteen second increments for pints of beer "