• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

EGGS....the chicken variety

arjay

Cut a little round out of the bread slice, fry gently in a little butter, then break in an egg.   Gently flip to cook other side.   Pass the honeybear for making a circle round the edges of the bread, careful not to get any on the egg. 

Alright, so happens to that little round? Two-eyed egg?

Put it right in the skillet with the toast and sizzle it, also. On occasion, buses were almost missed because of cutting LOTS of little rounds (or hearts or diamonds, etc.,) out of slice after slice of bread just for making the cute little tasty toasts. A pile of these on a plate, quick snowing of powdered sugar, and you have a nice Kiddie favorite, worthy of a Miss Martha "how-to" segment.

You also have a limp pile of bedraggled cutout bread rims, which can be cook's treat (and only breakfast) when thrown into a DRY skillet in the same fashion, powdered, and consumed with that last cup of coffee when they're FINALLY out the door to the bus.

Soft-boiled eggs, coated in panko and nuts, flash-fried and split, with a little sea salt and hazlenut oil on the runny yolk.  Amazing.

Wow, this sounds amazing. Can you say more about how you make this, how you serve it?

My egg cravings are generally simpler. I especially love a frittata or tortilla, and good eggs make all the difference.

I love eggs all ways. But one of my favorite things is to have a fried egg with a very runny yolk (or poached, but I never can get that right) on something spicy like a chorizo stew.. cut into the egg so that the yolk runs into the juices of the stew.. heavenly.

another favorite is a very soft boiled egg for breakfast, with hot buttered toast.

I really, really love runny yolks :biggrin:

I along with all of you love eggs. Is there anything so great as eggs over easy? Put it on rice or on toast and there you have it.

However, I have been cutting my egg consumption way back. What exactly is the AMA's read on eggs and how many we should be eating a week? Any insights?

Soup

Soft-boiled eggs, coated in panko and nuts, flash-fried and split, with a little sea salt and hazlenut oil on the runny yolk.  Amazing.

I MUST HAVE THIS RECIPE, OR AT LEAST A ROAD MAP IN ITS DIRECTION! oooops, sorry to be so forceful, got overly excited..........heres why:

Last year I had the most divine poached egg coated with crisp little crumbs, flash fried (and actually perhaps a little walnutty or hazelnutty tastint) on a bed of greens, maybe watercress, with a little sherry vinaigrette, at Olivetti, in oakland california.

i've been trying since then, and have had a few disasters, mainly in getting the crumbs to stick (i used homemade crumbs).

the dish was the most delicious dish, the little hit of vinegar, the rich runny yolk, the crisp crumbs, the fresh greens..........

i get happy just thinking about it!

marlena

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

Chorizo and eggs. Lots of spicy chorizo. Scrambled together. Good enough alone but over the top is to add Jack cheese, sliced avocado and wrap in a warmed flour tortilla.

I also just love egg salad. Warmed, just cooked eggs. I just add some mayo, s/p and a pinch of dry mustard. Straight out of the bowl, not on a sandwich, is good enough for me!

Question though. why do eggs just not smell appetizing? Surprizing that they are so popular on taste and texture. I just don't dig on the smell.

Some great ideas on this thread though!

I'm a big fan of all versions of sloppy scrambled eggs cooked with vegetables, ekuri, menemen or just whatever I have to hand.

Favourite version is with strips of slightly hot peppers, tomato, a little onion and about 3 fresh eggs. I like the vegetables slightly overecooked ands caramelized and the eggs thrown in and left to cook with the residual heat. Some herbs if you have any to hand are good - coriander in small amounts or lots of parsley. Serve luke warm with flatbread.

Some Chorizo thrown in works well too.

I love animals.

They are delicious.