• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine in Oregon

Hi, all...

Am planning a visit to the Portland area in a few weeks, and would like to visit some vineyards, perhaps on a guided tour, or perhaps on my own. What do the more knowledgeable out there recommend? Any particular vineyards, or particular tour companies/drivers?

Thanks!

Cheers,

elb

The north Willamette is our favorite area to go and do a bit of wine tasting! This is a great site listing the wineries, hours, facilities and maps

Yamhill County

If you want to stay within a relatively close driving distance to Portland I would suggest making appts. at Chehalem, Owen Roe, Lange, Domaine Drouhin.

open to the public all the time (i think) Ponzi, Erath, Argyle, Sokol Blossor

Most of the wineries have small vineyards but buy from a collection of growers so I'm not aware of vineyard tours. Jim at JKCarriere has a beautiful small farm and is quite generous about showing folks around- you'd need to call for an appt.

I've always done it on my own but Grape Escape (listed on that website) is one I see out and about a lot.

Cheers!

I'd recommend making appointments and visiting Belle Pente outside of Carlton and La Bete in McMinnville (if they have time to see you), as well as visiting a couple of places that have tasting rooms like Lange and DDO (I believe they have official tasting hours now?).

Marshall

Penner-Ash is a new winery near Newberg and Dundee. Stunning space and Lynne P-A is very talented. Her wines are luscious and interesting. Don't know their hours. Their website is www.pennerash.com. Also check out Erath and the Carleton winemakers studio in the area.

I've heard that The Black Walnut Inn right by Erath is a lovely place to stay.

Also, Erath is hosting a series of chefs dinners this summer, so you might want to check out their website to see if you can get in on one of those. The line-up looks great. www.erath.com.

We like the Ponzi wines.  I have been to their tasting room but I also believe they have a cafe somewhere, also.  If you like Pinot Noir, I think Ponzi has a great selection.  We also like the Raptor Ridge wines.  Cheers!  :)

Ponzi is associated with the Dundee Bistro (a good place for lunch) and has a tasting room adjacent to it.

Some places that haven't been mentioned yet....

The Carleton Winemakers Studio is a cooperative effort between some small producers. They charge for tasting, but provide some interesting items. Cuneo is right next door and worth a stop, particularly if you want to try something other than pinots. There is also a great wine shop in Carleton that provides tasting of wines from wineries not generally open to the public.

WillaKenzie is a little bit of a trek, but beautiful location and great wines.

Places to avoid IMNSHO: Torii Mor, Duck Pond, Rex Hill

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Any worthy vineyards near Roseburg? The Busboy's hope to be down in the N. Umpqua Valley next month and those of us of drinking age would like to get one tour in down in that neck of the woods. Significant detours just for wine tasting are out as it brings too much whining from the too-old-to-be-easily-bought-off/too-young-to-drink generation.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Places to avoid IMNSHO: Torii Mor, Duck Pond,  Rex Hill

Agree with Duck and Rex but we actually like the Torii Mor wines quite a bit. The attitude?? not always so great, but the wines age really nicely IMHO

If you do decide on a b&b we have stayed at Youngberg Inn 5 times now and wouldn't stay anywhere else. They are wonderful and it is an amazing inn on a working farm/vineyard. Their wine is only ok though :wink:

Places to avoid IMNSHO: Torii Mor, Duck Pond,  Rex Hill

Agree with Duck and Rex but we actually like the Torii Mor wines quite a bit. The attitude?? not always so great, but the wines age really nicely IMHO

If you do decide on a b&b we have stayed at Youngberg Inn 5 times now and wouldn't stay anywhere else. They are wonderful and it is an amazing inn on a working farm/vineyard. Their wine is only ok though :wink:

My issues with Torrii Mor are multifaceted. Pain in the butt to get to, don't like the 'tude, their white wines are wretched and only their expensive reds are good. I know they have a lot of fans, so I'm willing to accept that it's really about me....

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Go to the Fresh Palate Cafe between Sheridan and McMinville, it's at the Lawrence Art Gallery where there is also a very nice tasting room. I also like the grounds at Elk Cove a lot, I also happen to like their wine.

Rocky

P.S. oh yeah, defintely go to Anne Amie

If you do decide on a b&b we have stayed at Youngberg Inn 5 times now and wouldn't stay anywhere else. They are wonderful and it is an amazing inn on a working farm/vineyard. Their wine is only ok though  :wink:

My issues with Torrii Mor are multifaceted. Pain in the butt to get to, don't like the 'tude, their white wines are wretched and only their expensive reds are good. I know they have a lot of fans, so I'm willing to accept that it's really about me....

Agree about the 'tude at Torri Mor, and they do have some nice wines, but I gotta agree with Vince about the lack of value there. When I fell splurgy on wine down there I go to Ken Wright or Domaine Drouhin.

Rocky

P.S. Come to think of it I think I stopped buying the Ken Wright stuff too mostly.

P.P.S Favorite winery and vineyard in Oregon is Coleman, but they are appointment only. Kim and Randy are also really nice people too so if you call or email ahead they will make every effort to make some time for you if they can.

P.P.P.S Is 'splurgy' a word? Maybe splurgariffic or splurgtastic.

there's some info in this thread too:

Willamette Wineries

Know what I like about wine??? It's like fashion, everyone has different tastes. I think that is awesome and lets lots of winemakers make what they love. Lesson- don't just take other's opinions, get out there and try a bunch!

Cheers!